Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High Ground

berun

So since we are going to have physics based combat should the high ground be more advantageous for ranged units? Should i be able to shoot farther and maybe do a little extra damage if i play an archer and I'm shooting someone from the top of a wall or a cliff. Discuss

In Wurm Online you get a bonus to combat rating if you are on higher ground than your opponents. It can be a fairly significant advantage since that effects both your chances to hit and be hit. I wouldn't mind seeing a similar bonus here as well as bonus damage for hitting from behind like in Darkfall. That would certainly add a layer of tactics to combat, especially large scale combat.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

So since we are going to have physics based combat should the high ground be more advantageous for ranged units? Should i be able to shoot farther and maybe do a little extra damage if i play an archer and I'm shooting someone from the top of a wall or a cliff. Discuss

If game is fully physics based. You will actually. But i believe random passives will make things a little bit too complicated. On high ground if you aim at 45o angle your arrow will travel further then someone in low ground. But shooting targets so far should be about skill more then stats.

(Unimportant note : 45o angle is actually not entirely correct as height of shooting area is not same as the height of the area arrow will fall)

Edited by Navhkrin

Perhaps this bonus could only apply to physical based attacks? I do like the idea, but I also don't like the idea of getting incinerated from castle walls by sissy men in girl robes shooting fire at me.

Wow, someone is a bit touchy about magic..... /picks his robes up slightly so they don't drag on the ground and walks to the podium.

I think you should always get a bonus to hit if your on high ground but only physic based attacks should get a bonus to damage form high ground.

/steps down from the podium, tripping over his girly robes and falls flat on his face!

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Wow, someone is a bit touchy about magic..... /picks his robes up slightly so they don't drag on the ground and walks to the podium.

I think you should always get a bonus to hit if your on high ground but only physic based attacks should get a bonus to damage form high ground.

/steps down from the podium, tripping over his girly robes and falls flat on his face!

Sissy man hath spoken and I am in agreement.

Officer of The BlackHand Order

Would be great if it affected reach and mobility, There are a lot of strategies that are important for strategic warfare, picking out high ground, choke points or certain kinds of terrain all help decide a battle.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm okay with this. Carry on.

If game is fully physics based. You will actually. But i believe random passives will make things a little bit too complicated. On high ground if you aim at 45o angle your arrow will travel further then someone in low ground. But shooting targets so far should be about skill more then stats.

That projectile should definitely go somewhere. Even a noob archer should have a decent chance of hitting someone if he shoots into a big crowd.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Even if a high-ground advantage isn't hard-coded into the game it will still be there. Standing above your enemies makes you more difficult to hit and gives you the opportunity to hide behind the top of the hill/wall/etc that you are utilizing to gain the high-ground. 

][\\/[ ][ ][\\][ ][))

It's Alright Ma, It's Life and Life Only

I wouldn't mind seeing bonus damage for hitting from behind like in Darkfall. That would certainly add a layer of tactics to combat, especially large scale combat.

+1

Good stuff, and agreed. I like the concept. 

yes, that's physics, well, I doubt it happens - it's not a software designed for nasa and rocket science when it was coded.  :D

Edited by Mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/