Sign in to follow this  
makkon

5.8 Myrmidon

First of all, new talent system is much more better than it was before. Need some polishing and more variability in future, but now all classes can have at least a couple of usable builds

Back to myrmidon. Lets discuss changes, roles, bugs,  builds and futures here? And ofc, do not blame me for orkish english or whatever below.

I liked:

1) Taste for blood deprecated. This was a stupid "must have" passive which brings almost all to myrm. Before 5.8 only LMB give us burst unstable random but OMG damage. Now players should think about builds.
Result: powers splitted between builds, new builds, new skills and mechanics.
2) Absolutely awesome Colossus Smash remake. You finally removed combo and made it one-step skill like I want since Big world. Gap-closer too big imo. Need some nerf (time will show).
Result: I will always keep it on panel.
3) Now all races are be playable as myrmidon. There are some still favorites (HG) but its ok..

I hated:
1) Cast net -> Charge deprecated. Why? It was a nice situative skill.
2) Bloodied Swipe -> Gore combo still useless. It was on 5.7, it is even useless now. Reason is very slow animation, especially on Gore. Also need more tie to talent tree skills as update.
Result: I will never put it on panel atm.
3) Neck slash - new skill. I do not understand this skill. Comment someone if I wrong. Mediocre damage with one charge which generated after using rage skills. Some low tie in deep talent tree as, for example, give addition to this skill - supress or flat reducing to crash damage. Ok, you can interrupt. But mechanic is so strange atm
Result: extremely doubtful power, will probably not worth to eat slot.
4) Berserker, Vengeance and Frenzy are replace each other by the fact. I mean shared cooldowns makes other than selected promo class core power very situative and probably not worth to eat panel slot. This mean I do not need Vengeance if I am Battle Rager but sometimes Frenzy can be ok. Compared to some other classes, same skills are mostly usefull in every build (check out duelist skills in same tree for example)
5) Pulverize. With splitting class into 3, this skill importance can be divide by 3
6) Whirlwind still combo. Main and almost one dps skill required 2 seconds to loadup.

Bugs
1) Cast net in team fights still hard to use.
2) Issues with tooltip cooldowns Berserker, Vengeance and Frenzy. Especially if you trying to use it together.
3) Sounds issues with some skills which makes impossible to understand what is going on.
4) Whirlwind sometimes does not activated.

Overall:
Berserker > Vengeance > Frenzy. Why? Coz there are now more ways to ingore crash damage (imo) while both - Frenzy and Vengeance working only if you HIT target. At the same time they have equal duration but not effect. Lets see what each line give us?

Titan: DPS promo.
Frenzy based. 8s duration. 12s CD. Only gives us +1.25% per second for each 100 damage we take or made. Damage bonus CAP is 40% + 15% slash/crush more to cap (I do not test over cap mechanics). Max +% to damage can be +40% or even more. Decent? Yes, but for 7 or less seconds, in practic even less. Required to be near enemies. This is not possible sometimes. Some races like HG already have possibility to increase damage %, stats also will help.
Titan's passive gives us +2% to LMB dmg for 30 seconds with chance on each hit bleeding target (Blood thirst). UP to 50%. So, LMB damage is +40% for some time and +50% after some time and link to all time to battle. Also we can't die during Frenzy (8 seconds) and regen fury and buff whirlwind damage on each ww hit.
Titan is pretty much old LMB based myrm. Can be playable with Berserker power. Frenzy is really situative atm. Without heal is useless. LMB + ww = only 2 skills for DPS, other slots for support self or group. OR take berserker.
Frenzy need stackable crit bonus and less damage bonus. OR possibility to increase duration, for example, linked with Blood thirst.

Battle Rager: Tank promo.
Berserker based. But not vanilla myrm, this one have low damage. Berserker have the same old mechanics and regen all dmg you got every seconds. This mean you can be killed on low HP even with berserker on. But BR can decrease or prevent crash damage via Pulverize, HG skill, striking bleeding targets (Blood craze) and OMG while you whirlwind is active!!! Well, this class will be favorite to all myrm's players. On top of preventing crash damage, you can stack HUGE amount of HP based on enemies around or via Battle Rager passive which give HP bonus based on preventing crash damage (50% of this gamage).
BR will be based on % of HP regen. Buff HP -> stack buffs -> whirlwind. Repeat. Boring promo, still no party skills. Does not need any buffs. Self-sufficient and balanced, massive fight based.

Conqueror: CC based semi-tank
Vengeance based which is heal you for damage you cause but not more than it was before activating this skill... Can be better than Berserker coz you does not need to think about crash damage, but to keep HP you have to dps, dps and dps. This can be a problem coz you are melee and not every time you have alot of enemies around to keep dps decent. Probably he can abuse +HP buffs. Conqueror's passive compared to Titan and BR is a joke imo. May be because you have immune to CC while Vengeance is active (8 seconds). And while WW is active. Also, you can aoe snare alot of ppl. Very usefull for party semi tank.

I think now myrmidon role is pretty simple - aoe tank in the thick of battle. Other DPS and CC based classes imo can do better DPS and CC.
At least now myrmidon for group fights may become useful (tank role) - not only grabber (net cast). Overall I think Templar is a better tank with more party options.
Some tweaks need in future but I think BR and Conq very playable. Titan in some setups also ok but heal required. Anyway Myrmidon become more easy to play class. No need to taming now and explode for whole HP on lag or CC

What do you think? Champion get nerfed in 5.8 imo, what about knight magic? Or true tanks is only templar and myrm now?

Edited by makkon

Frenzy actually increases your maximum Final Damage Modifier cap.

Neck Slash hits pretty hard and has a very fast animation that can be used to animation cancel the end off of a previous power + the other effects it has for Battle Rager/Conqueror.

I'm really enjoying Battle Rager. It does do pretty low damage but if you've got multiple targets bleeding it can really add up. Unlike the other melee you can play pretty aggressively all the time and have good uptime without having to run away to play defensively.

Once Myrmidon Net Pull becomes more reliable the class will be considerably more powerful

2 hours ago, ZYBAK said:

Frenzy actually increases your maximum Final Damage Modifier cap.

anyway I change my mind after weekend testing. it looks like Titan is usefull as rear rat in team fights. HG + Titan + berserker melee tray and bow user + frenzy on second tray would be ok. Not so good survive but you need only range shots and pull to your ally with net spam and LMB fast.

2 hours ago, ZYBAK said:

Neck Slash hits pretty hard and has a very fast animation that can be used to animation cancel the end off of a previous power + the other effects it has for Battle Rager/Conqueror.

can be usefull if they make combat more clear. in current statement you can miss even aoe sometimes. dodge roll is best animation cancel atm anyway

well, if charges can stack at least 3 times it can be usefull skill for some builds.

btw who tested, does DoT damage goes through berserker skill?

Before 5.7 it was. Some toxins, severe bleeding and such ticks even while you berserker on.

I've been playing Titan but I use Berserk instead of Frenzy. Then it plays like the Myrmidon of old where you have to use pulverize, blood of the giants or ultimate to mitigate crash but you can do some pretty serious damage. 

Battlerager can be fun too but I've found that I don't really need the extra survivability I can stay alive well enough playing the DPS spec using Berserk and do a lot more damage. It's a riskier way of playing Myrmidon but so far has worked well for me.

Conqueror may still have its place especially in larger fights where you can do enough damage to keep yourself healed via whirlwind. Last I checked Vengeance talent that was supposed to make you CC immune wasn't working and I haven't checked back on it since then. It was pretty nice not having to time a berserk crash while using vengeance though and the suppress on neck slash every 12 seconds was nice as is the AoE snare bleed. Just not enough survivability when compared to using Berserk but that may change when they fix the CC immune on vengeance. 

I too don't understand the "interrupt" portion of neck slash. I'm really not sure what that "interrupt" does. It's worth using for conqueror for the suppress but the other two builds I'm not so sure. 

I also really, really enjoy the new colossus smash. That changed the game for myrmidon's. Plagued by lack of mobility for so long this was a needed change.

With talents into fury regen and power proficiency gore is no longer useful. That could change once talent points are required to put into discs it may be harder to buy those things. 

I'm not too mad over losing the net charge since we got colossus smash. The net pull needs to work more reliably though. It seems to only work about half the time. 

Check my YOUTUBE channel (link below in signature) for some Myrmidon videos. Most of them are the Titan spec while using Berserk. 

Edited by blazzen

16 hours ago, blazzen said:

I've been playing Titan but I use Berserk instead of Frenzy.

yeah. like I say =) good for small scale build but for mass pvp required handy healers and playing with attention.

main idea here is what Frenzy looks like not so good synergy or need to be more usable for tank archetype or more duration and such. 7-8 seconds is a joke.

I'm not too mad over losing the net charge since we got colossus smash. The net pull needs to work more reliably though. It seems to only work about half the time

Only one reason why I do not like it - net combo was 1slot variable ability. now it is less variable. without colossus smash remake it will be big lost. I really hate pull to self instead to pull self in mass fight coz it is disorient ally

Check my YOUTUBE channel (link below in signature) for some Myrmidon videos. Most of them are the Titan spec while using Berserk. 

yes, watched it. as expected gameplay with Titan.