Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shmilbick

[Poll] Archetypes : Race Locked ?

Archetype : Race Locked ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Races Locked with the Archetypes ?

• Yes, Race locked for a respectful Lore
    • No, let me play my Race with the Class I want
    • No matter, the important thing is the Class and its Gameplay, not the Race or Gender issues
    • Some Races should have access to some Classes, but not all

The more the Archetypes are revealed, the more we see questions and opinions about races (and sometimes gender locked).

Gender locked is a lore question, so I don't open question about this for the sake of respect for writters' work.

In other hand, Races could be related to Classes, in other ways than presented in the Archetypes (A Human could use bows and be a Stalker for exemple).

Edited by shmilbick

I'm abstaining, because however much the lore matters, there needs to be a degree of customisation. But i also recognise that steath Centaurs don't work.

Here is my proposed solution

•  Some races have access to some classes, this stops there being ridiculous combinations 
  • Races have bonuses that lean towards the class the devs want them to play, directing you in that direction, however if you're willing to take the minor stat cut (or something along those lines) then you can go for it.

I think this is a good mid-point between what the devs want and what the fans want.

I'm for adding any contributing points. However keep it short because words make sense none. 

Edited by Dredja

Edgy

I'm abstaining, because however much the lore matters, there needs to be a degree of customisation. But i also recognise that steath Centaurs don't work.

•  Some races have access to some classes, this stops there being ridiculous combinations 
  • Races have bonuses that lean towards the class the devs want them to play, directing you in that direction, however if you're willing to take the minor stat cut (or something along those lines) then you can go for it.

I think this is a good mid-point between what the devs want and what the fans want.

I'm for adding any contributing points. However keep it short because words make sense none. 

Good point, I edited the poll, this completes the possibilities :)

Maybe, since they are using that rune system for buffs and debuffs, they could make it so that you can mix up the archtypes and races, but you may have to suffer a debuff, like a Centaur would have a significant stealth debuff, but could still be a stealth class. You can have your customization, but at a cost. 

This may be way too complex, but it could be very interesting!

I'm far more interested in the choices I get to make during character creation: build, stats, runes.   Those to me are the real meaty choices.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I'm 100% behind the devs in this decision. An Elkin warrior isn't going to fight like a human warrior nor like a halfling or stoneborn warrior. Their differences between fight tactics are going to be different enough to warrant a different class in this package called the archetype.

Before archetypes they are promotion classes, so it doesn't matter too much.

You will begin with a piece of wood, metal or wax and you choose what to do. Not all the tables must be made of wood.

(I hope that u got the metaphor)

Edited by Luxord

Why couldn't centaurs be as capable of stealth as humans? 

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Absolutely.

They aren't quiet when they run, but neither are we.

Hm.. I've done my fair share of riding and my experience is that horses are pretty much the epitome of NOT stealthy. They are too big, they make a lot of noise as they move around(even when not running), they smell and when they're running you can outright feel it in the ground.

Meanwhile a human can run almost completely silently if they're doing their running correctly, human feet are surprisingly well engineered for running with minimized noise if utilized correctly.

Edited by Zushakon

Member of The BlackHand Order

Well, Centaurs are only half horse, so when we are talking about no-stealthy-horses, we speak about the big vegetarian horse, who is more a prey than a predator in the natural order :)

Centaurs could be more stealth than a normal horse, because they could do it on purpose with their human intelligence :P

But when we see the caravan banner, they are twice bigger than the forest girl. They are definetly not the type of race who could be stealthy, if we conpare them to the other races. Furthermore, with their natural Strenght boost, they are more the kind of race who charge in the fray, not the kind who blend with the shadows :)

On the other hand, dispite this Strenght boost, nothing could prevent them to be Druids, or use other Magic and cast some invisibility spells, that is far more efficient than stealth skills.

Don't forget about promotion classes allowing to branch off as well .... we haven't seen any meaningful information on them yet, but I am betting it is similar to Shadowbane here so I am going based off that knowledge. 

Promotion classes will most likely give those players that option who want to break off in a different direction. My vote is with the devs, they have their reasons and I respect that.

Those who haven't played Shadowbane probably won't understand how it works, if interested go read on how Shadowbane did this. I am not saying the system in Crowfall will be exact, but I predict it is pretty similar.

Edited by sarin

The FAQ basically defines archetype as a race/class combos- so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's going to be locked unless something changes.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it unlocked, but everything we've been told so far points to the contrary.

Also, one big issue is that in an action based combat system it's very important to be able to quickly tell what class the opponent is playing- so honestly having lock race/genders is probably better for the PvP balance of the game anyway.

The FAQ basically defines archetype as a race/class combos- so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's going to be locked unless something changes.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it unlocked, but everything we've been told so far points to the contrary.

Also, one big issue is that in an action based combat system it's very important to be able to quickly tell what class the opponent is playing- so honestly having lock race/genders is probably better for the PvP balance of the game anyway.

Um let me get this straight... so your in favor of having race locked archetypes because you want to be able to tell exactly what your enemy is capable of... that really kills the competition in my opinion. That is also why I hate playing LoL and other MOBA's, because you memorize how to counter what you see, and once the memorization is done, and your counters are muscle memory, then it isn't a competition anymore....its just boring.

Mystery is what makes for good competition. It more closely mimics real life and that is the essence of what real PvP er's desire, real competition with unexpected outcomes, hence challenging another human, not an NPC.  This is why I prefer MMO's with unlocked classes to race.  In reality I prefer classless systems where you can mix and match skills to an unexpected combination, but if that isn't the desire of the Devs I can live with that.  But like taking on a challenge, not just memorizing how to beat one race/class combo or another.

My main concern is the desire for this game to be as inviting to prospective players as it can be without compromising its core ideas and structure. In that respect, lore is important, but people in these forums talk about lore as something already written in stone which is absolutely ridiculous.  The lore is BEING WRITTEN probably even as i type this, and you want to know what? that means there can be Elkin Engineer, and a Fearie Paladin and a Mud Monster Librarian, because ITS MADE UP.

Having races unlocked leads to a broader more engaged player base in my opinion because it connects them to their choices, making it feel more like its theirs.  It wont stop me from playing it per se.   Just my own opinion.

Edited by Operator

I know it's February and I've been done with winter since before these forums open--but when I open my eyes and look around, I see a lot of special snowflakes around here.  <_<

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I know it's February and I've been done with winter since before these forums open--but when I open my eyes and look around, I see a lot of special snowflakes around here. <_<

Well you better steel yourself and get ready for the long haul, these snowflakes are not going anywhere anytime soon I think. Edited by Zushakon

Member of The BlackHand Order