Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shmilbick

[Poll] Archetypes : Race Locked ?

Archetype : Race Locked ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Races Locked with the Archetypes ?

• Yes, Race locked for a respectful Lore
    • No, let me play my Race with the Class I want
    • No matter, the important thing is the Class and its Gameplay, not the Race or Gender issues
    • Some Races should have access to some Classes, but not all

I'm all for some race and gender locked Archetypes, we already see that humans can be more than one Archetype and I don't see why they couldn't be say, a Stalker either. But for some like the Fae Assassin and Forgemaster I think they should be both gender and race locked in order to maintain the rich lore there. I see no reason why the Fae or Stoneborn couldn't be 1 or 2 other Archetypes but I think the Assassin and Forgemaster Archetypes should be locked to Fae and Stoneborn respectively.

With what appears to be 24 Archetypes in total and then promotion classes on top of that there is already going to be so much variety in what to play anyway.

I like it. I think it's a bold choice, even if they're doing it primarily due to lack of resources.

We need to get away from the handholding and catering to everyone. Sometimes a game just needs to be what it is, and you either embrace that or move along. We need a game that doesn't try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Before archetypes they are promotion classes, so it doesn't matter too much.

You will begin with a piece of wood, metal or wax and you choose what to do. Not all the tables must be made of wood.

(I hope that u got the metaphor)

Do u make wax tables?

And I am actualy a huge supporter of choosing a class and race combo you like but most games that have that starts and stops their character customization there (cough Tera) so I am much more interested in how much they add to really let you make a unique playable character.

I feel like certain archetypes should be locked to certain races, but others should be available for all races to play, though personally i don't mind race/gender locking so idk

Having a race, class, gender locked is different but that's what this mmo is all about, doing something different. The first moment I saw it I was like... wtf but after a minute I asked myself "Does it really matter" which I came to the conclusion it doesn't.

YannMLq.png

I'm ok with the race locking but it would enjoy having the option to buy additional races for classes. Only an aesthetic difference. Race would have to be similar to the original race. Instead of playing a guinea pig, you could play a bunny or rat.

Yeah I would say no to Stealthy centaurs but they could be mage, hunter, warrior and rogue types. Not thinking of rogue as stealthy but rather as nimble and face-to-face small weapon combat types.

Most other races could be any classes I imagine. But there will be a few exceptions. Little animal people won't be great shield bearers because they are small relative to all the other races. If a human kicked the small animal races who were holding shields that would probably be enough to squish it.

My usual perspective is that I want every class to be available to every race!

But in this case I would actually prefer some hard locking of races to classes for the most part. I don't want to see (or rather not see :> ) stealth horses. I also don't want to see tanky guinea pigs. Haha

Edited by Deadlyapples

zFzmJQw.jpg

I've long held the opinion that Shadowbane had one of the best character building systems I've ever seen in an MMO, so I was hoping to see something very similar here - every class (or the majority of classes anyway) would have multiple races available, and the choice of race would have a meaningful impact on your characters effectiveness. It's very common to have multiple race choices for each class in an MMO's, but in my experience the choice of race is usually either almost completely inconsequential (little to no difference between races) or is so massive that each class typically has one race that has such an advantage that 90% of all players pick that race. Shadowbane did it right - in part due to the additional customization available in the form of promotion classes, stat distribution and effects, weapon types, and disciplines. While many classes did had several races that were almost never used, there were just as many classes that had multiple viable races, and your race was often a build defining decision.

So my iniitial feeling is disappointment. But I'll withhold judgement for now. There do seem to be quite a lot of similarities to the Shadowbane character building system, so I will hold out hope that they really have built a better system and I just can't see it yet due to lack of information.