Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

ACE Q&A for December LIVE on Dec. 12

Here's the tentative schedule for tomorrow's "ACE Q&A for December LIVE!" stream

Start Time    End Time    CF Dev    Topic
11:00 AM    11:05 AM    Pann         Opening
11:05 AM    11:15 AM    Todd         A "Crowverview" of the state of the game
11:15 AM    11:25 AM    Eidson      How maps have changed in Pre-Alpha 5.8
11:25 AM    11:35 AM    Doggett & Greco    Art things
11:35 AM    11:50 AM    Blair         Design Q&A
11:50 PM    12:00 PM    Founders  Wrapping up

As you can see, we're hoping to cover a lot of ground! Looking forward to chatting with everyone tomorrow.

for non Americans that is "11 am CST" or "18:00 pm CET" start

1 hour ago, Pann said:

Here's the tentative schedule for tomorrow's "ACE Q&A for December LIVE!" stream:

is it an hour [11-12], 2 hours [11-1] or ~25 hours [11am to 12:50am]? who knows! </s>

is this what it is meant to be? with formatting, because 'my eyes oh god my eyes'

Start Time

End Time

CF Dev

Topic

11:00 AM

11:05 AM

Pann

Opening

11:05 AM

11:15 AM

Todd

A "Crowverview" of the state of the game

11:15 AM

11:25 AM

Eidson

How maps have changed in Pre-Alpha 5.8

11:25 AM

11:35 AM

Doggett & Greco

Art things

11:35 AM

11:50 AM

Blair

Design Q&A

11:50 AM

12:00 PM

Founders

Wrapping up

Edited by Tinnis

Do you guys have any sort of reason for the time limit? Only 10 min to some of those seems awfully short.

11 hours ago, Pann said:

Due to scheduling conflicts, the lineup has been adjusted and the stream pared down to 60 minutes.

Seems like the times are indeed wrong (again). How they are gonna cover all that in 15 minute segments is a mistery to me.

Re: Racial Crafting @jtoddcoleman @thomasblair

The problem, as you both noted, is that players will rebel against arbitrarily needing to be a Dwarf to be the best blacksmith (this was my own reservation about the OG Forgemaster idea). In other words, if you make it so that one Race is absolutely superior than other Races in a particular crafting, players will not enjoy this limitation.

The counter, in my opinion, is to make it not arbitrary. The reason I would want to be a Dwarven blacksmith is to make the best Dwarven equipment. It's not that Dwarf blacksmiths are the best blacksmiths, but they are the best at making Dwarf-specific items. I think the simplest way to implement this would likely be to have Race-specific benefits baked into items (a simple +10% improvement to the outcomes of crafting a breastplate, when worn by a Dwarf). This could be shown perhaps on the armor, with a +number in a different color with hover-over to show which Race it helps.

I think you could also do dropped recipes that can only be equipped by a certain race/class to be crafted. So, The Hammer of Kane drops, well only a Stoneborn can craft it.

As I think about it, I would almost prefer it not be race-based, but deity-based. Given that vessels are taking on a different kind of flavor than typical MMO race, deity choice still feels to me like it should be just a huge part of the player/crow identity, instead of vessel race. But, I suspect I am greatly in the minority here with respect to deity choice mattering.

Anyway, first thoughts.

Edited by McTan

25 minutes ago, McTan said:

Also, the Class vs. Discipline training trade-off is spot on, in my opinion. More of that form of player choice should be in all games, IMO.

@jtoddcoleman / @thomasblair the class vs discipline trade off is all well and good but it will feel bad in the case of a healing druid who is forced to invest just to even unlock their basic preferred playstyle and group role [which has also always been dependent on additional help from other healing discs in order to be effective and as basically the ONLY way of scaling]

Edited by Tinnis

Wait wow after seen the Q&A of december as always, i just started to play which i did not do that long time ago and i can feel the progress congratulations. since now crowfall is playable for me. Keep working hard!

9 hours ago, Tinnis said:

@jtoddcoleman / @thomasblair the class vs discipline trade off is all well and good but it will feel bad in the case of a healing druid who is forced to invest just to even unlock their basic preferred playstyle and group role [which has also always been dependent on additional help from other healing discs in order to be effective and as basically the ONLY way of scaling]

I still think the changes to Druid are a mistake. I dont think I would ever play one (not a healer for sure), but since I saw it class mechanics years ago I always thought it was pretty cool. Now, I just feel like dumbing it down is a major loss to the game as a whole.

I think that proper introdutory tutorial, tooltips, and all is more than enough for anyone who should be playing CF. If players cant figure out how the class work even with all that, well, the problem is with them.

Anyway, i think it is a rushed decision. You guys jumped the gun. Should have tried less drastic options first instead of basically remaking a well-stabilished class. There is still time to turn back.

9 hours ago, McTan said:

Re: Racial Crafting @jtoddcoleman @thomasblair

The problem, as you both noted, is that players will rebel against arbitrarily needing to be a Dwarf to be the best blacksmith (this was my own reservation about the OG Forgemaster idea). In other words, if you make it so that one Race is absolutely superior than other Races in a particular crafting, players will not enjoy this limitation.

The counter, in my opinion, is to make it not arbitrary. The reason I would want to be a Dwarven blacksmith is to make the best Dwarven equipment. It's not that Dwarf blacksmiths are the best blacksmiths, but they are the best at making Dwarf-specific items. I think the simplest way to implement this would likely be to have Race-specific benefits baked into items (a simple +10% improvement to the outcomes of crafting a breastplate, when worn by a Dwarf). This could be shown perhaps on the armor, with a +number in a different color with hover-over to show which Race it helps.

I think you could also do dropped recipes that can only be equipped by a certain race/class to be crafted. So, The Hammer of Kane drops, well only a Stoneborn can craft it.

As I think about it, I would almost prefer it not be race-based, but deity-based. Given that vessels are taking on a different kind of flavor than typical MMO race, deity choice still feels to me like it should be just a huge part of the player/crow identity, instead of vessel race. But, I suspect I am greatly in the minority here with respect to deity choice mattering.

Anyway, first thoughts.

Making the races disc work like major Discs are planned to would solve some of those issues. In this case they would work more like crafting disciplines.

I think it would be interesting to add Lore fitting recipes based on races. Maybe Dwarfs have now acess to racial recipes that are meant to fit their different build; guinecians could make use of their lore as the only race with acess to gunpowder; Centaurs could get acess to armor that cover their horse bodies better; Mirms could make make helmets that actually fit their horns; Nethari can have some Nethari thing. They dont even need to be that good but It would be a really nice detail.

If it was really tied to talents and discipline it could also be more complex. Maybe minors that grant some of those to other races? A sort of apprenticeship minor that can only be crafted by the right races? This way it wouldnt really be locked to races but it would have a cost to others.