Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Treatise on Crafting in 5.8

I'd like to start a discussion about crafting and it's current interation in 5.8.  Here are what I think the pros and cons are.

Pros

- Rune based crafting allows players to potential switch on the fly without  weeks/months of training.
- All recipes are contained in the rune for one profession.  You can make advanced weapons from the get go.
- Allows minor runes to be beneficial rafting which was not the case before.

Cons
- The requirement of leveling your crafting character in a campaign before u placed her in a EK. (You Need a Major Rune Slot)
- All recipes from the start takes away from the sense of progression as a crafter.  Only EXP POINTS and SUCCESS and SPEED trainable.
- The need to make multiple characters for each profession (Logging in/out).  No one would want to destroy the their epic rune just to have to find another one (I know u could tenchnically have 2 runes per PC).  Still sucks from a quality of life standpoint.
- Lack of specialization like combat talents.

What I propose is this:

1) Forget about runes.  Professions should be scroll consumables which gives you the basic ability for a profession.  Once consumed the rudimentary recipes are always available.  This should allow you to build intermediate runes tools/armor/common vessels/weapons/deeds/jewelry and such.
All advanced recipes are drops.  

2) Each crafting profession should have specialization (aside from experimantation/success). The same way you make classes for combat types you should make archtypes for crafters.  i.e. a crafter could specialize in make lighter weapons, or fire magic ones or heavy dmg ones.  I'm just throwing out examples you get the point.

3) Take crafting tables out of masonry and into general.  They are necessary for any crafter.  Stone masons have enough business creating deeds.  Or give them the ability to repair forts/trebuchets.

4) Give crafters the ability to level thru crafting. Our crafting vessels should be kitted out to make stuff not fight.

Just me two cents,

Mike

35 minutes ago, Vesperre said:

Cons

1. The requirement of leveling your crafting character in a campaign before u placed her in a EK. (You Need a Major Rune Slot)
  2. All recipes from the start takes away from the sense of progression as a crafter.  Only EXP POINTS and SUCCESS and SPEED trainable.
  3. The need to make multiple characters for each profession (Logging in/out).  No one would want to destroy the their epic rune just to have to find another one (I know u could tenchnically have 2 runes per PC).  Still sucks from a quality of life standpoint.
  4. Lack of specialization like combat talents.

What I propose is this:

1) Forget about runes.  Professions should be scroll consumables which gives you the basic ability for a profession.  Once consumed the rudimentary recipes are always available.  This should allow you to build intermediate runes tools/armor/common vessels/weapons/deeds/jewelry and such.
All advanced recipes are drops.  

2) Each crafting profession should have specialization (aside from experimantation/success). The same way you make classes for combat types you should make archtypes for crafters.  i.e. a crafter could specialize in make lighter weapons, or fire magic ones or heavy dmg ones.  I'm just throwing out examples you get the point.

3) Take crafting tables out of masonry and into general.  They are necessary for any crafter.  Stone masons have enough business creating deeds.  Or give them the ability to repair forts/trebuchets.

4) Give crafters the ability to level thru crafting. Our crafting vessels should be kitted out to make stuff not fight.

Just me two cents,

Mike

1. They have added sacrifice pits to EK's.  You can get to I think 20 just by crafting campfires with knotwood.  Far enough for both major rune slots.
  2. There was no progression before.  With passive training the recipes were what everyone did first, and then into the pips and finally the stat bumps. 
  3. What do you mean, multiple characters for each profession? It sounds like you want to be able to do it all, and that has never been the design intent.  This model makes it inconvenient by requiring multiple vessels, but not as painful as the old way by requiring multiple paid accounts.  Seems like a reasonable trade off. 
  4. Yup.  Very much hoping that they get more specialized, like hard to aquire major discs that give specialization for specific type of crafting.  Say a master two handed sword maker that gives + pips and experimentation chance.  

Pretty much everything you have down as a con is either incomplete, misunderstood, or something I consider a pro.

1. They are not going to forget about the runes.  This is the second pass at crafting, and a major change, they are not going to walk back easily.
    1. The idea of gating all advanced gear behind random drops is just so fraught with problems, I don't know where to start.
  2. That may come with racials, which Todd said in the last stream is something he wants to think about and discuss. 
  3. Not needed.  You can use 1 of your 3-6 vessel slots for just stonemason temporarily easily enough if you just want tables and can't be bothered to go shopping for them. When it required passive training it was a real pain, now, not so much
  4. That is what the "flawed results" and poor experiment rolls are supposed to be.  Go sack those for levels. 
    1. The above said, I would not be surprised to see more avenues of XP pushed out for all professions.  

Edited by KrakkenSmacken