Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ona1000

What EXACTLY is the countdown for?

What exactly is the countdown timer for? What I mean by this is, some people were thinking this was for the beta release (as I was) but now I am seeing that this looks like it is in way too early stages for a beta yet. So is the countdown timer for a full release of information on the game? Or for the beta? I wanna know your thoughts. 

By the time the countdown hits zero, we'll have presented you the full vision for Crowfall. You'll either love it, or hate it. We're hoping love! (please love?)

To set the expectation though, beta will NOT be going live at this time. We're a while away from this milestone - but we can't wait to get there! 

Fear not, my friends, we will keep each other company while we wait.

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I think the countdown is for the official reveal. I imagine this would be the big press release.

I'd expect at that point we will know the concept and broad strokes. I'd expect we will have screenshots...possibly (huge if) a teaser gameplay trailer from their tech demo.

I'd hope for beta later this year, but honestly it could be even further down the road. Though beta sign ups a year plus in advancement would be rather odd.

And I got beat to the punch by a dev. So yeah read that ^.

Some of you are going to say, "wow, I was hoping for more."  

Some of you are going to say, "wow, they have a lot more than I thought."

Either way, as Tully said, you'll know what the game is and whether or not it is for you.

Todd

ACE

ps. I suppose it can't hurt to say: yes, we have a lot more than a fancy website and concept art.  Be patient, it's day 2.  We'll start to drop game assets soon.

J Todd Coleman

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I wish that game devs didn't hype us with what they're doing ages before release... In example, I'm a big fan of the Lineage universe and we could see Lineage Eternal gameplay at G-Star 2011, but can't expect the game to be released before later 2016 - early 2017... that breaks hearts. Also when devs show something really nice you think "woah! that's awesome!", but it's awesome now... 4 years later probably it is not...

Is it good that behavior of showing up things 5 years before release? Is it good for the product?

Well, I don't know if we can get them to release that much information so soon but I would be interested to see what their time line is. Jan 2015 open the website to Jan 2017 start the game? Have to wait.

By the time the countdown hits zero, we'll have presented you the full vision for Crowfall. You'll either love it, or hate it. We're hoping love! (please love?)

To set the expectation though, beta will NOT be going live at this time. We're a while away from this milestone - but we can't wait to get there! 

Even if i dislike it or love it, stick with your vision till the end and don't make compromises to cater more people and decrease the quality of your game. :)

Archduchess Alice

I wish that game devs didn't hype us with what they're doing ages before release... In example, I'm a big fan of the Lineage universe and we could see Lineage Eternal gameplay at G-Star 2011, but can't expect the game to be released before later 2016 - early 2017... that breaks hearts. Also when devs show something really nice you think "woah! that's awesome!", but it's awesome now... 4 years later probably it is not...

Is it good that behavior of showing up things 5 years before release? Is it good for the product?

It works well for movies, books, albums, cars, hardware, and a lot of games.  Honestly, it's a pretty common and usually successful business model to build a following for products very early.         

Either way, as Tully said, you'll know what the game is and whether or not it is for you.

Todd

ACE

ps. I suppose it can't hurt to say: yes, we have a lot more than a fancy website and concept art.  Be patient, it's day 2.  We'll start to drop game assets soon.

Still counting on it as one of my birthday presents as that countdown ends a few days before my birthday!  :)  I look forward to seeing the announcement.  The suspense is killing me.

Even if i dislike it or love it, stick with your vision till the end and don't make compromises to cater more people and decrease the quality of your game. :)

Hear!  Hear!

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Todd

ACE

Hello Todd,

I have a question for you on your response.

If you were to make an educated guess or prediction, what playerbase between the SB crowd and the Wiz/Pir101 crowd would you predict would be most likely to be suprised,that this game isn't what they were expecting. Not saying these players would say this is a bad game or anything to that affect. But I am just curious what you and your staff think on this. It seems obvious from what you all have said this is going to be something new that you guys have always wanted to play as well so for it to be exactly like sb, wiz or any other game should be expected right now.

Thanks for any response :)

I don't think any of the Wizard players are expecting something close to Wizard or Pirate.  It's pretty clear from the manifesto that it isn't that.  "Will they like it, or not?" is a different question -- but I don't think they're going to be disappointed because it isn't what they expected.

Shadowbane players will be split.  It isn't Shadowbane 2.0, and some will be disappointed.  Others came here because of the manifesto/vision (as opposed to being married to a particular design) and they'll be really excited.

and remember: we have to make a lot of hard choices, so I doubt that ANYONE will agree with *every* design choice we make.  always keep in mind that individual design decisions have to be weighed in the greater context of the game.  

Hope that helps.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Todd

ACE

The only thing that will leave me hoping for more would be a lack of playable centaurs.

Ideally centaur prelates. :)

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili