vkromas

5.8 LIVE Feedback and Bug Reports for 12/20/18

This latest patch is a huge step in the right direction for the game, let me give you guys kudos from someone who has become dis-enchanted after a long slow alpha period. That said, let me give you some feedback from an MMO industry professional. 

There are a number of nice changes, like the more engaged harvesting speed, addition of gathering herbs, and the full campaign but there are still a lot of things that need work (and I'm not talking about the obvious missing textures). The number one thing that should have time spent against it right now in my opinion is quality of life. There are so many little things that eat away at the enjoy-ability of this game. And look, I get it, I'm an industry professional, and I know you will say "We aren't done with that system, we have it scheduled to be re-looked at, we don't want to polish until we are sure its going to work the way it does". But let me tell you something, you will lose customers for good over these things right as you are getting a huge influx of new interest. And these customers, much like the ones in earlier alphas, are you prime, grade aaa, monetizing whales. 

In particular the amount of clicks and menus that open on-top of each other in the UI make navigating the game very time consuming. On-top of all the time I spend opening and closing windows, clicking through recipes, manually equipping things, I have to keep switching between combat stance and harvesting stance, while waiting for my stamina to regen and building myself a replacement harvesting hammer/knife/million other things. Some of this stuff has to stay, I get that for balance and economy, but in other places it needs to be simplified. MMO's will have a grind, they need a grind, but it should not be a grind just to open my ui and find the grind. 

stuck at 2941, -46, 2352  on male half giant on US East Garen NA / Olut Maa

Edited by Zage

I was farming level 1 spiders in the starting zone and for some reason my hunger bar depleted very fast. I filled it up to max and within maybe 30 seconds it ran down to 4 pips remaining. Dunno if thats from the hunger shards and intended but makes it very hard to farm some levels.

5 hours ago, blazzen said:

There's a bug with myrm WW. The last clip is hilarious as my corpse is WWing people who walk by lol. You can see against the guards how the pulverize isn't giving the white circle around the heart meter like it normally would even though I'm channeling pulverize. Game thinks that WW is still channeling. Even if you cancel WW the game thinks you're still channeling it.

Haha! Yeah I was wondering about that, I got those Executes but the Whirlwind just wouldn't stop...why wouldn't it stop!? Don't haunt me pls 8 }

Divine Light and certain other skills 'cast' but do not actually enact the effect. The skill goes on CD and triggers a GCD but nothing happens

Certain skills are still spamming the visual effect from the skill. Battle Chant from Holy Avenger is still doing so for example.

Edited by Scorn

Bugs

• Master of rapier state usable by Duelist, Ranger and Assasin but is not equipable on Ranger and is usable only by Duelist when crafted.
  • Can't launch EK in EU, work in Virginia East
  • Flare arrow from mole hunter or ranger are shoot at our feet, not in the targeted area

• I understand the necessity of avoiding running back people without incidence, but this deathshroud need some tweaking like full healing after the timer is over, because it's meh actually.
  • Factions chat would be great to communicate
  • Attacks on forts need further informations, when the alert pop up the people are allready in the throne caping it

Edited by Gorwald

First, I want to say how impressed I am with version 5.8.  It really feels like a game now.  The improvements you've made to performance are also terrific.  This is the first version I have been able to play in a while because I'm limited to 8GM Ram.

I've compiled a set of notes over the course of my play, which I've complied below.  Some of these may have been written during a prior build and might no longer apply if already addressed.

Exceptions:

- When crafting runestone harvesting equipment I am unable to reroll experimentation.  I get the "OK, No" dialog box when I try to reroll but no new rolls occur.  If I then hit the "next" button to finalize crafting, the experimentation window briefly appears before I receive my item.

- One of the "spider mound" decorative statics does not have collision.  In the campaign start zone, before you port to the temple.  I'm sorry I didn't get coordinates but the same static is used in several places and the character walks through them.

- Harvesting flora nodes (specifically garlic but maybe others) on the edge of Hunger-afflicted areas causes the node to emit "flyTextString" text.

- Logan[2644, 4, 2287] - The positioning of the tower outpost here makes it difficult to access the ladder because its base is embedded in the ground.  Might want to have a placement check for uneven terrain in the map generator.

- Logan[2683, 2, 1442] - Black shading on road texture.  Looked like pools of pitch were covering the stone paths until I approached and part of the black shading disappeared.  I was not able to replicate this, though, so it might have been a hardware issue on my end.

- Tol Vendis[2918, 10, 2700] - Tree by the dias does not despawn on loss of HP, nor does it show model changes when taking damage.  The tree remains standing and I was able to harvest it repeatedly.

Quality of Life Concerns and Suggestions:
- On viewing the map, I would like to at least have the option of repositioning map camera to a bird's eye view with the compass pointing up.  I'd also like to be able to see the coordinates of the point of the map on which my mouse cursor is hovering.  These two points combined would make it a lot easier to make use of the map when coordinating with remote groups.

- In the character panel, it would be helpful if clicking on the stat upgrade button would emit an audio cue.  It's easy to miss if the stat ticked up without additional feedback and improving one's character should have a little more "oomph".

- On emptying all items from a corpse, it would be convenient if the loot window would automatically close.

- It would be convenient if the player could close all open windows with a hotkey, potentially [escape].

- On striking a resource node with an "about to break" harvesting tool, I think it would be more aesthetic if the node emitted a durability indicator rather than display the text message.  For example, the damage numbers could be shaded red for breaking equipment or a floating breakage icon could appear.

- On expiration of a harvesting tool, it would be convenient if the game would check to see if there's an equivalent tool in the player's inventory and automatically equip it and place it in the Survival slot that had been vacated by the previous tool.

- It's difficult to hit the hot-spots when harvesting a corpse.  When I move my cursor over them, it often takes the cursor away from the corpse I'm trying to harvest.

- Mobs fighting guards do not spawn corpses.  While it makes sense to cull corpses that may not be in proximity to humans, mobs that have taken damage from players should still leave corpses.  This allow for the tactic of kiting difficult mobs to outposts for NPC assistance.

- On viewing the description of non-basic resources (e.g. yew, tin, marble), it would be convenient for the text to note their crafting component properties.

- Timer on the tutorial popups could be lengthened, or possibly remain on screen until clicked closed.  I missed some of the messages because I was in a menu when they appeared and they disappeared because I could read them.

- In the crafting screen, it would be convenient if clicking on a component input slot would highlight the applicable resources from within the player's inventory.

- When viewing the HUD compass, it would be convenient if points of interest displayed from further away.  Often I can see an outpost in the distance without being able to identify its owner, even though this information is readily available on the map screen.

6 hours ago, Gorwald said:

Attacks on forts need further informations, when the alert pop up the people are allready in the throne caping it

In Guild Wars 2, there's actually less of a notification that a fort is under attack.  We rely on players "scouting" forts to call out attacks as they happen.  The real issue that I see so far with the capture system in Crowfall is how difficult it is to put up walls.  Enemies can just walk right through a breach and cut through the NPC defenders in no time.

I like that Crowfall forces players to rebuild and plug holes after a capture, but the difficulty in sourcing timber means that forts can be vulnerable for a long time.  I've yet to find a timber mill, or maybe just don't know where to look for one.  If I could help get walls up faster, the time frame between a fort being attacked and its capture would widen.

I've played only in the starter area so far for 5.8, and twice: last Tue or Wed late night for PST and am playing right now.

1. The first time I played, I didn't notice any lag, but today the lag is remarkable and painful. Your view (where you're looking, where you're targeting) can jump nearly 180 degrees. This often occurs after you've completed damage on a harvesting node and you're beginning to pick materials up from the ground.

2. This issue may be related to lag? but if you anticipate where a crafting material is going to land on the ground and stand there before the item arrives, you have to move away and back to pick it up.

3. This issue may be related to lag? but the radius to loot items after they've hit the ground from harvesting needs to be enlarged. The experience of trying to run precisely and directly over an item is not fun, just annoying.

4. That you can wiff (swing and miss) a tree, for example, is annoying. The relationship of the target reticle's dot and what equals a hit needs to be loosened up a bit, imo. I can understand wanting a hit to only equal when the dot is perfectly aligned with the node (despite the welcomed albeit confusing contradiction of allowing the random crit target to just be in the general reticle rather than the specific dot) but the experience would be markedly more fun if a hit was calculated during the swing at some point rather than the initiation of the swing.

5. This issue may be related to lag? but the distance to loot mushroom patches on the ground needs to be extended. The tiny area of space you have to precisely align yourself to be able to loot them is not fun, only annoying.

Edited by Byrne

37 minutes ago, One01011 said:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Is this kind of damage normal for this skill? My highest ever hit was a 1.8k when my ultimate crit as champ, and it only hit once.

just wait until you see the 10k crits l o l!

9 minutes ago, Bobjohnson said:

just wait until you see the 10k crits l o l!

Don't suppose you've got builds for this?

It'd be neat if the toast messages told you the location of the Outpost was being taken, like "The outpost at A28 is being taken by Balance", or something

Testing the Survivalist discipline and the Bounty of the Land passive for acquiring wood grubs and pine nuts, it appears that the drop rate is 0 when using an advanced runic axe. With intermediate axe I got 1 grub and 11 nuts in about 100-120 trees. Used an entire runic axe and received none of any of them. Obviously could just be (very) bad luck, but it seems a little too stark to be random. 

Edit: relogged with a new runic axe, they seem to be dropping again. Perhaps Bounty of the land wasn't applying correctly until I relogged?

Thanks again for your time. 

Edited by BleakSymphony

After playing for a few days, my biggest feedback is that the netcode needs some love.

The aim based game play is very twitchy. This is great, but it means that the game is very latency dependent and the netcode needs to be drastically improved to try and compensate for this.

My main gripe is the lack of interpolation of other players positions on the client side. It makes them very jumpy. In a melee fight, if they have a better ping than you, they just keep teleporting around. If aiming is resolved on the attacker's side in a "favor the shooter" fashion (which is kind of mandatory given the pace of the game, otherwise we'd have to lead our hits which would be even worse), it means that in addition to seeing that player jump around frequently, he'll see you jump around less often, making it much easier for him to aim at you than the other way around.

Either server side latency should be improved, player's positions should be interpolated, or maybe lag should be partially compensated by extending players' hit boxes according to their movement speed and direction. There is a lot of science to a twitchy game's netcode to fudge things in a way that makes aiming feel good and reliable while reducing the impact of latency, and I think that currently, crowfall's netcode is not up to the standard that its combat system requires.

Edited by Eleris

Found a bug with the discipline Arcane Archer and the Ranger class. When I unequipped this discipline (dragging it out of the slot to destroy it) it removed my bow and the ability to equip it. I had to log out in order to get the ranged weapon slot back.

80-90 people fighting around a bane tree in a keep siege and the server pretty much melted. First it froze for all the 15 people in my discord channel for a good minute or so, then when players finally started moving again the lag was just unbearable. 10 fps all around, msg spikes in the hundreds, you name it. Basically a slide show.

I know the purpose of the official sanctioned campaigns in January is to do these stress tests, but I'm not entirely sure how long people are going to stick around for these slide shows. 

14 minutes ago, Rikutatis said:

80-90 people fighting around a bane tree in a keep siege and the server pretty much melted. First it froze for all the 15 people in my discord channel for a good minute or so, then when players finally started moving again the lag was just unbearable. 10 fps all around, msg spikes in the hundreds, you name it. Basically a slide show.

I know the purpose of the official sanctioned campaigns in January is to do these stress tests, but I'm not entirely sure how long people are going to stick around for these slide shows. 

They have been told their engine is not able to handle more then 50 players for a long time. I don't think they have time or manpower to address it without delaying the game yet again.