Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eren

Help Me Make A Game!

As some of you know im student under computer science, and my teacher wants us to make a project this semester. I decided to make a game, its currently on very early stage(setting up objects) and i need some help with Weapon/Armor ideas.

Any combat related suggestions are welcome, im plannign to make a 2d side-scrolling fighter game.

For weapon ideas i need ;

Damage(1-100) , Crit Chance(%0-%50) , Speed(0.5-2)  , name and type. (Longsword , Axe, Spear )

Also any special effect idea is welcome, but please keep those special effects simple.

For armor ideas i need ;

Armor(1-100) , Dodge Chance(%0-%50) , name and type of armor(helm,leggings etc)

I wont be doing any special effects for armor

Also please try to keep items as balanced as possible :P

Armor directly reduces the damage, for example if a weapon will hit for 50 and if target has 25 armor he will lose 25 health.

My aim is infinite weapons and 125 armor pieces.

Armor : 4/125

Q6jKAFV.png

Edited by Navhkrin

Well if you wanted to make it interesting you'd use spears swords and daggers, and make spears wildly overpowered to represent the real advantage they hold. Being able to strike at a greater reach, being able to check foes at a distance and oppress them with reach and threat, I mean, sure, you could make another silly fantasy, but what's gonna stand out more, 40 weapons with mixed flavors of damage?, or a game that shows the physical advantage of classic technology and intelligence in combat?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Well if you wanted to make it interesting you'd use spears swords and daggers, and make spears wildly overpowered to represent the real advantage they hold. Being able to strike at a greater reach, being able to check foes at a distance and oppress them with reach and threat, I mean, sure, you could make another silly fantasy, but what's gonna stand out more, 40 weapons with mixed flavors of damage?, or a game that shows the physical advantage of classic technology and intelligence in combat?

Idea taken and i will add weapon types 

Thank you for your suggestion

Oh, the you-know-whats came out for this one.  Prepare to get very few serious answers, Nav!

Oh sorry, I didn't see your weapon or armor idea, sir. Please do not derail.

On topic: can elemental based damage bypass armor ratings but instead take a penalty by doubling the likelihood of being dodged?

Edited by headlight

Im planning to use an algorithm to sort items by calculating their powers, i can add infinite amounts of weapons. Armors are just stats so i want them to be limited

The Wand of the Carebear-turns any area into a safe zone where you can hide from PvP.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Judging from your profile, it looks like you're, what, a second semester freshman in college?  Unless this is specifically a game development course, my honest advice is to focus on something more fundamental, a.k.a something boring.  A web page that posts to a database typically covers a wide range of skills making it a good choice to "show off."

Did you run this by your professor?  Even with "make your own project" assignments, they typically have something in mind for what you should be doing.

What have you covered in class that would even facilitate the creation of a graphical game?

I don't want to bring you down, but I've been where you are and these things tend not to pan out.  Good luck either way.

Oh sorry, I didn't see your weapon or armor idea, sir. Please do not derail.

On topic: can elemental based damage bypass armor ratings but instead take a penalty by doubling the likelihood of being dodged?

I havent tought deeply about elemental damage, currently im thinking about giving diffrent advantages to elements, like a dot for fire , or stun for electricity.

Other then that any suggestions are welcome

Judging from your profile, it looks like you're, what, a second semester freshman in college?  Unless this is specifically a game development course, my honest advice is to focus on something more fundamental, a.k.a something boring.  A web page that posts to a database typically covers a wide range of skills making it a good choice to "show off."

Did you run this by your professor?  Even with "make your own project" assignments, they typically have something in mind for what you should be doing.

What have you covered in class that would even facilitate the creation of a graphical game?

I don't want to bring you down, but I've been where you are and these things tend not to pan out.  Good luck either way.

Im developing it in Java, its pretty easy to make in my opinion. Just takes some time. In worst of the worst case scenerio i can make an engine from acm library. Im not in hurry, ive got months to make this project. Im planning to make mastery in the university, such a big project in first year would be well appriciated by my professor i hope.

Edited by Navhkrin

I havent tought deeply about elemental damage, currently im thinking about giving diffrent advantages to elements, like a dot for fire , or stun for electricity.

Other then that any suggestions are welcome

Well, that's pretty much mmo elemental. Fire dots, cold snares, lightning stuns, etc. I always liked how the warlock's fear spell in WoW was unique (in my experience anyhow).

Well, that's pretty much mmo elemental. Fire dots, cold snares, lightning stuns, etc. I always liked how the warlock's fear spell in WoW was unique (in my experience anyhow).

When i progress more i will ask about classes and skills, their objects are already ready but weapons are much easier to implement currenty

Chinese Amulet of Summoning

Automatically summons give groups if odds approach even numbers.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Chinese Amulet of Summoning

Automatically summons give groups if odds approach even numbers.

i need armor suggestions to be in this format

Armor(1-100) , Dodge Chance(%0-%50) , name and type of armor(helm,leggings etc)

I wont be doing any special effects for armor

Just a valid suggestion but in some mmos they name certain prefixes and suffixes certain things to let you know what the stat is of the item without random names. So if I see a Truewrought Chest of Brailla, then it's a +8 def +35 health piece of armor. You could do something similar to that to save you time.