Arak

My main concern with Crowfall

Hi guys, if today I come to you this is because I want Crowfall to succeed, since i’ve played WvW in Guild Wars 2 back in 2012, I’ve been a huge fan of RvR. 

In my opinion WvW in Guild Wars is great but Arenanet don’t give a ... of this game mode. So I’ve been looking for the next big RvR MMO. Crowfall is the one that impressed me the most. All those ideas are on the paper and in game so great, and the way ACE communicate with us really make me confident that the game will succeed. 

But, the gameplay isn’t what it should be for a game like this. Let me explain, gameplay feels unbalanced, some classes got a great gameplay, fun, and interesting. Even if all the classes could all have a fun and interesting gameplay some only have an interesting gameplay due to the fact that the gameplay is not smooth. For exemple I main Templar and playing this class is kind of painful, because the leap does not stop on the player your aiming, the combos don’t work half of time. I believe that this si due to the range and how the movement works in the game so when you play a close range class half of your spells don’t touch the enemy. 

So i have high hopes for Crowfall but I don’t want the game to fail because of the gameplay not being smooth. What’s your opinion on the subject ? 

RvRvR isn’t the only format.  There’s another that’s just entirely player built guilds fighting each other; it’s what most the people want but for not testing is RvRvR.

21 minutes ago, Arak said:

I don’t want the game to fail because of the gameplay not being smooth

I think everyone agrees with that - it's all part of the optimization process and improvements will happen over time as the game moves into alpha and then beta. Beta will be the time to make the judgement on performance, too soon right now.

The game has its ways to go..But it's getting there. Personally I find it a bit too much like WoW-esque and that worries me because the keyboard roll is so uninteresting, but the developers have shown a lot of intelligence in learning from past mistakes. Plus JTodd has a pedigree I'm a fan of.

On 22/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, Arak said:

gameplay feels unbalanced, some classes got a great gameplay, fun, and interesting. Even if all the classes could all have a fun and interesting gameplay some only have an interesting gameplay due to the fact that the gameplay is not smooth. For exemple I main Templar and playing this class is kind of painful, because the leap does not stop on the player your aiming, the combos don’t work half of time.

Sincere question: is it possible this is a combination of bugs that will be fixed (combos etc) and templar not being a good class fit for your playstyle in this game? I don't know what your playstyle is, mind, but for example, I tried playing a Cleric yesterday and a greater exercise in frustration I never did find! There's nothing necessarily wrong with the class, it just isn't the magic user for me.

Posted (edited)
On 12/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, Arak said:

So i have high hopes for Crowfall but I don’t want the game to fail because of the gameplay not being smooth. What’s your opinion on the subject ? 

Performance has improved but it has a long way to go. Have zero clue if it will ever reach a point that I personally find acceptable for the gameplay I'm hoping for. Not sure any of the devs have first hand experience creating anything similar to compare to nor Unity showing itself to be capable of pulling off this type of game well. Most point to the mythical optimization to come, but plenty of games have shown that it doesn't always get there or by the time it does, no one is left to enjoy it.

As for fun, interesting, complex/deep gameplay, that's hopefully an on going process with polish, changes, and additions creating something better as time passes. I don't see the game being the best at any particular feature, but decent across several that can't be found elsewhere. There are some fundamental features that people either enjoy or not along with changes bringing in players and running others off. Just how it goes and time will need to pass for us to know if it will be something we individually enjoy.

Edited by APE

It involve crafting too much also related to character/vessel experience and item sac. value - that much is obvious. And at the moment the core game design lack features which don`t involve crafting and that will turn other pvp centric players away from the game.