Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
raeshlavik

5.8 - Things that are awesome

In game development the things people like are usually drowned out by the gripes and complaints - but both are valuable; a team also needs to know what the good stuff is so that they can make more of it.

So this is a 'good stuff' thread.

For me, who hasn't really played any pre-alpha content since HungerDome, it looks a bit like this:

1. The sacrifice system is fantastic. There needs to be voluntary economy sinks, and this is a good one. It handily turns crafting failures into some sort of return on the materials, which is a nice 'feel good' for the 'feel bad' of a failure.
  2. Which ties into crafting... I've not really delved the nuts and bolts specifics of it like some other folks, but what I've seen so far is really fun. I especially enjoy how much input I can have on the process - from materials to choices in experimentation. It's infinitely better than the fare you get in some other MMOs where crafting is that button you press ten thousand times to get to that one thing you really want to make.
  3. Gathering is nicely varied and I can go for an hour or two without triggering my allergy to repetition. I especially like the fireflies and lighting on harvestables as it makes them easier to find in the massive world... It also makes gatherers easier to find, which adds complications when I'm gathering, but that's part of the game. :)
  4. The world is gorgeous, and the procedural assembly is really great. I can recognize the individual land 'module' once I'm in it, but the random assembly of modules adds a ton of replay value as it feels like a new place to explore with each world.
  5. The scale of the game world is amazing. By this I'm referring to the structures like the faction temples, keeps, forts, etc. But the landmass versus travel speed is really nice too... I was worried that the mounts would break the massive feel, but I'm happy to report that even at epic mount speed the worlds are still adequately huge - without being so big you never see anyone else.
  6. The character model customizations are coming along nicely. I'm really grateful for the inclusion of some non-standard races as it really sets the IP apart from the hordes of MMOs where character choice is short, tall, thin, fat, or oddly colored human.
  7. The combat, for me, has been really great - in my limited exposure. The pacing is good as it lends toward a tactical feel versus pounce and gib where the victim has no real say in the process. And it's easy enough to figure out how to do it, but I can see that mastering a class / sub-class will take some work and this is a good thing... It really reminds me of Shadowbane (natch) in that the 'meta' was always whatever a really good player did with whatever crazy thing they came up with, then everyone would do whatever that player did - poorly - until the next great player with a crazy idea... The secret sauce was always the player more than the specific race, point, or discipline allocations.

Loving the race options. Also loving the skill trees - a lot of MMOs I've played lately have been weapon=ability types, which there's nothing wrong with, but it's nice to have games around with both types. 

Love the art style. The option for player vendors seems really cool, and the sacrifice mechanic is neat - especially hopeful that it'll help keep player economy somewhat under control (it's never perfect, and there will be a crash once the game goes open, but for now it seems to be doing it's job well, and they could always maybe tweak it with certain gods preferring certain item types or something to keep 'demand' high).

Class options are fun, if somewhat confusing. Again, that's something time will fix I expect - it's tricky when things are still being changed and balanced.

Really enjoy the crafting mechanic. And having the two trays is awesome! I always like having more quickslots.

On 12/27/2018 at 3:05 PM, raeshlavik said:

I can recognize the individual land 'module' once I'm in it

This is one thing that breaks immersion a bit for me. The use of distinctive features in the common modules makes the re-use of that module stand out; e.g. the leaning stone.

IMO, the most commonly used modules should avoid distinctive features.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:51 PM, VaMei said:

This is one thing that breaks immersion a bit for me. The use of distinctive features in the common modules makes the re-use of that module stand out; e.g. the leaning stone.

IMO, the most commonly used modules should avoid distinctive features.

I would suspect that's a symptom with the low number of various "distinctive features", such that their repetition is more noticeable. With additional content created and the need for less re-use it likely won't be as startling.

My list of things that are awesome:

1. Procedurally generated worlds. These have turned out *far* better than I expected at such a relatively early stage. They don't feel procedurally generated when you're in them, it all comes off as quite organic and immersive. Major kudos!

2. Character models. I was...dubious, on some of the early renderings I saw for races I wanted to play such as Wood Elves and Stoneborn, but seeing them in game I'm very pleased with how they turned out. Also, their racial armor graphics are looking pretty amazing as well (sans the "bouncing" shoulder pauldron for Stoneborn...)

3. Leveling/sacrifice system. Sure, there's polishing to be done here but conceptually I think it does a lot for the game. With my first vessel I slowly unlock abilities, equipment slots, disciplines, etc. allowing me to experience just a bit more of the game each time and really get my "sea legs" rather than being thrown into the deep end immediately.

Have to second everything in Darguth's post but especially the proc-gen worlds.  They're really well made and distinctive.

I love grave-digging as a concept. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds awesome. Skills like necromancy and alchemy also sound cool.

I like how the resources are widely varied - it's not just "wood" but ash and spruce, and birch.

Sign in to follow this