Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raeshlavik

Recipe unlock question...

I've noticed that the crafting recipes now seem to be contained in the various crafting disciplines versus unlocked by gaining skill in the associated skill tree - even though the various skills in the trees mention the recipes they unlock.

Is this intended?

I ask because I've been running a Ranger, which by design burns through arrows like there's no tomorrow - but I cannot inherently make anything but basic trash arrows (which are actually worse than the arrows you get from the noob equipment vendor) because to get access to the arrow recipe requires slotting the woodcraft rune, and to make arrow heads to complete the recipe requires slotting the blacksmith rune... This means to make decent ammo that the class requires to function, requires not using any major class runes.

The workaround currently is to simply make crafting runes to make ammo, and then make combat runes for combat - destroying each in the process - but I'm guessing runes will be hard to find/make someday so it's not a long-term solution.

I suppose I could fire up a second account and have a backpack hamster I log into just to make ammo for my ranger every 2-3 hours - but that seems silly.

So, at least as far as a class that has a consumable goes, locking said consumable behind disciplines is kinda clunky - and I figured I'd bring it up just in case it's an oversight.

1 hour ago, raeshlavik said:

I've noticed that the crafting recipes now seem to be contained in the various crafting disciplines versus unlocked by gaining skill in the associated skill tree - even though the various skills in the trees mention the recipes they unlock.

Is this intended?

I ask because I've been running a Ranger, which by design burns through arrows like there's no tomorrow - but I cannot inherently make anything but basic trash arrows (which are actually worse than the arrows you get from the noob equipment vendor) because to get access to the arrow recipe requires slotting the woodcraft rune, and to make arrow heads to complete the recipe requires slotting the blacksmith rune... This means to make decent ammo that the class requires to function, requires not using any major class runes.

The workaround currently is to simply make crafting runes to make ammo, and then make combat runes for combat - destroying each in the process - but I'm guessing runes will be hard to find/make someday so it's not a long-term solution.

I suppose I could fire up a second account and have a backpack hamster I log into just to make ammo for my ranger every 2-3 hours - but that seems silly.

So, at least as far as a class that has a consumable goes, locking said consumable behind disciplines is kinda clunky - and I figured I'd bring it up just in case it's an oversight.

They didn't clean up the training trees when they did the talent redesign.  I would not expect recipes to stay where they are.

You won't need a second account to do it by yourself, you can do that with a vessel that you take to level 16 and slot the disciplines.

Also, you have not yet discovered the joys of a crafted quiver, which has unlimited ammo of a specific type.  

For the record, that is the design of the game.  Independence is hard, interdependence in other players and a thriving player economy where you can just go buy the whatevers you need is the goal. 

This is an older graphic, but visually show just how interdependent everything is.

wqjPEwR.jpg

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

10 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

They didn't clean up the training trees when they did the talent redesign.  I would not expect recipes to stay where they are.

You won't need a second account to do it by yourself, you can do that with a vessel that you take to level 16 and slot the disciplines.

Also, you have not yet discovered the joys of a crafted quiver, which has unlimited ammo of a specific type.  

For the record, that is the design of the game.  Independence is hard, interdependence in other players and a thriving player economy where you can just go buy the whatevers you need is the goal. 

This is an older graphic, but visually show just how interdependent everything is.

Yeah, I get that the goal is to drive interdependence and I'm all for it - the only reason I brought it up is arrows specifically... Imagine if a dagger user had to purchase 3-400 daggers per hour due to interdependence. :) 

I saw the quivers in the crafting list and that's a goal; I just need to find someone selling them as it takes three crafting disciplines to make them. And quivers apparently decay just like weapons, so I should probably buy a couple of them.

Or I just go back to confessor; one weapon that decays and no ammo requirement.

18 minutes ago, raeshlavik said:

Yeah, I get that the goal is to drive interdependence and I'm all for it - the only reason I brought it up is arrows specifically... Imagine if a dagger user had to purchase 3-400 daggers per hour due to interdependence. :) 

I saw the quivers in the crafting list and that's a goal; I just need to find someone selling them as it takes three crafting disciplines to make them. And quivers apparently decay just like weapons, so I should probably buy a couple of them.

Or I just go back to confessor; one weapon that decays and no ammo requirement.

Might be worth a feedback post to ask for the arrow recipes to be part of the ranger class by default, or an unlock in the ranger talent tree.

There is no reason I can think of why they wouldn't provide access to those kinds of recipes in two different places.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

2 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Might be worth a feedback post to ask for the arrow recipes to be part of the ranger class by default, or an unlock in the ranger talent tree.

There is no reason I can think of why they wouldn't provide access to those kinds of recipes in two different places.

I'll let the question hang out for a while and see if anyone else has input, then post it up as feedback... I try to make sure the perceived issue is not just me being dumb before suggesting a fix.

So in order for me to craft runestone havesting items I need a discipline?  Because I unlocked the skill that grants the recipes but can't find the recipe when at a crafting station in the fort.

Just now, kalannar said:

So in order for me to craft runestone havesting items I need a discipline?  Because I unlocked the skill that grants the recipes but can't find the recipe when at a crafting station in the fort.

I believe so. The crafting stuff is in transition from skills to disciplines and it's a bit weird while it's in flux.