Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
copperfield

Gear Vs Stats Vs Player Skill

What is the vision or direction of this game gonna be when talking about topic mentioned elements?

most mmos focus on either gear or stats.. and that determines your strenght regarding pvp..

I hope that the vision of devs focus on more individual player skill then gear or stats..

I do understand that this aint a fps game like cs:go.. were mostly player aiming and skill counts..

Are most the skills casted coned? aoe? 

Lets say.. im a naked char or crappy geared in crowfall.. would i be able to kill another player who is well geared because my player skill is alot higher then my enemy?

or..

i cant kill that player even because he has better stats/build or gear?

But what is the vision of the devs on this subject?

I would love to write my thoughts about this matter, but I think we should wait until monday to discuss this kind of things, right now there is not enough information for me to do a good discussion about this subject, It would be all speculation.

I would love to write my thoughts about this matter, but I think we should wait until monday to discuss this kind of things, right now there is not enough information for me to do a good discussion about this subject, It would be all speculation.

+1

But i hope it comes down to skill.

Edited by Exzear

Yeah, I hope CF isn't like WoW where, "my numbers are bigger than yours, so I win every time". Something more like Planetside / Planetside 2 would be preferred, as there is a ton of customization, but power wise everyone is reasonably equal and thus player skill (or cheating) matters most.

Yeah, I hope CF isn't like WoW where, "my numbers are bigger than yours, so I win every time". Something more like Planetside / Planetside 2 would be preferred, as there is a ton of customization, but power wise everyone is reasonably equal and thus player skill (or cheating) matters most.

I agree with you.

Hopefully the upwards progression is very slight and we see more diagonal or horizontal progression.

I think gear should have some impact though, else why bother?

The game will definitely favor gear.  But the gear ceiling will probably be very low, simply being geared with anything is better than being naked.  Crowfall is a strategy game, you can't kill foot soldiers with naked villagers.  Naked villagers can still work as meat shield for stalling though!

Now regarding the Devs' vision, try reading the FAQs, they are pretty short and get their point across.  We all read them, we all learned from them, you should too.

Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Has anyone here actually ever pvped in wow? A good player with crap gear could take out a player with a full set of pvp gear. Wows pvp was never gear > skill, in any of my time fom bc, cata, mop or draenor.

Has anyone here actually ever pvped in wow? A good player with crap gear could take out a player with a full set of pvp gear. Wows pvp was never gear > skill, in any of my time fom bc, cata, mop or draenor.

lol

we got a pro here guys!

My assumption, it will be neither. The power will come from size in armies, not from individuals. If they based if off anything like Game of Thrones, you will have your "mountains" but overall, one undefeated powerhouse will be nothing next to 20 armed men. It will be a battle of guilds, individuals will have a difficult time even competing. War has three strategies you need to focus on: strength, strategy, size. Usually, you need some level of all three to survive. Although the option will be open for lone assassins, I wouldn't test the larger guilds. Cause if it comes to it, you might be good at the game, have great gear, but when 16 archers are all aiming at you, well, you can assume the outcome. Not saying assassins won't be a thing, but I think bandit groups would be more likely. Plus gear doesn't seem to base anything in this game. From the looks, you will have very little "OP" gear since you don't have raids, traditional bosses or a heavy focus on NPC questing and PvE. 

Most of the people that hate on WoW's PvP are very ignorant.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather play Crowfall's system - but 3v3 arena in wow has been some of the most balanced and skilful group PvP that I've ever played.

But then again, very few people were actually good enough at it to get past 2.2k rating - they'd rather blame the game design than their own lack of skill.

Gear needs to matter, I mean its a semi-full loot game..but that doesn't mean if you're terrible at the game and I'm a pro, me being in 'rank 3' items vs your 'rank 5' items I should be able to stomp you still. Gear also needs to matter because naked fights are lame, and it would hurt crafting/economy etc.

/thread

Edited by WonderBread

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather play Crowfall's system - but 3v3 arena in wow has been some of the most balanced and skilful group PvP that I've ever played.

But then again, very few people were actually good enough at it to get past 2.2k rating - they'd rather blame the game design than their own lack of skill.

Pretty much a lot of people hate on Wow because the game was too hard for them and when they tried it a lot were ahead of the curve. I mean if you are gonna run in there not ever using focus target for anything i mean you deserve to get blown up.

I've said it in at least one other thread, and I'll say it here...I think a lot...LOT of players mis-use the word 'skill', when really what you mean is strategy.  All MMO's (and games in general) come down to pushing buttons at the right time, sometimes in a correct order.  Yes, this is an over-simplification, but essentially, it is (and will be here as well) pushing buttons. 

Again the 'skill' you seek should really be called strategy, as it's the critical thinking *skill* that allows you to adapt to a (hopefully) dynamic situation, utilizing the *stuff* that pushing those buttons cause.

Typically, and from the information thus far provided, it will be a combination of character building (stats, perks, etc) and gear.  Making good/wise/smart stat/trait/skill/etc allocation, as well as gear choice is also a *skill*.  Many a person I've seen cry about imbalances often have set themselves up for failure in their choices in these regards...some people just have a different way of thinking along such lines, both positively and negatively.

Understanding how the system was designed to work (and subsequently how it actually works), is another factor in determining 'skill'...ie...just because You want to play the game a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way it is meant to be, or can be, played.

Edited by mivius

You must be on drugs. It became even more apparent when they added in the Resilience stat. I quit around that time. The game lost its appeal.

I agree with you.

Hopefully the upwards progression is very slight and we see more diagonal or horizontal progression.

I think gear should have some impact though, else why bother?

Yup. There has to be SOME factor for gear, I just hope it's not as large as other MMORPG's.

Gear should matter in the sense that it makes your build possible for 1 but 2 i get it that this game will have several tiers of gear depending on the materials used but it would not mean just cause i got full Addy gear i can one shot everyone in bronze and they can never kill me.

krevra.png

What is the vision or direction of this game gonna be when talking about topic mentioned elements?

most mmos focus on either gear or stats.. and that determines your strenght regarding pvp..

I hope that the vision of devs focus on more individual player skill then gear or stats..

I do understand that this aint a fps game like cs:go.. were mostly player aiming and skill counts..

Are most the skills casted coned? aoe? 

Lets say.. im a naked char or crappy geared in crowfall.. would i be able to kill another player who is well geared because my player skill is alot higher then my enemy?

or..

i cant kill that player even because he has better stats/build or gear?

But what is the vision of the devs on this subject?

Just looking at the released character screens, stats will play a significant role in the outcome of a battle... as I feel they should, it's an RPG after all.

zjsbjmn.png

Just looking at the released character screens, stats will play a significant role in the outcome of a battle... as I feel they should, it's an RPG after all.

This is actually one of my only concerns about the systems they have released so far.  Power/stat creep over the years can get out of hand. If however, they introduce something like UO's system where once you reach the stat cap you would have to lower one stat to gain in the one you want, i'm all for it.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

Having physics and action combat and friendly fire and player collision all help create an environment where skill is important. 

This is quite true.

I'd personally like to see gear being a fairly small factor, but a factor none the less.

As a very loose example, I'd like to see tiers of gear jump up by 10% increase in stats each time - but with each tier you go up, the gear becomes exponentially more expensive to craft.

This means that most people will be wearing the same gear, and it will be easy to get - people who are really good, and can afford to wear the expensive gear, will have an advantage, but it will cost many times more than the 'average' gear.

Having said that, I'm interested to see how they're going to balance this all between rule sets with and without full loot.

Skill should be the ultimate factor, for example

Ronaldo has more talent than you so he will always win in a tiki-taka-paneka match.

However! If you take steroids and make him play bare-foot you'll have a better chance.

The steroids etc represent gear and stats.

It should be like that. 

I have completed analogies

Edgy