Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Killtrocity

Merry go round objectives: fix

Problem: currently most objective go on a merry go round capture cycle, I would like to propose a few choice ideas to fix this current cycle since the incentive to hold objectives is low.

1) Reduce number of camps and towers, give players the option to reinforce said objectives to make them more effective/defensible (more guards, longer range, high tier level). Give more "points per tick" based on status of upgrade level. IE level 1 camp gives 1 point per tick. Level two tick gives 3 points per tick. Level 3 Gives 7 points per tick. For ease of design for now this could simply be the increased number and tier of guards but in the future should also involve esthetic upgrades as well.

2) Add value beyond points for holding objectives: I propose that if outposts, towers, forts, etc give other benefits than points they will be more valuable. An idea for this would be, if you hold objective "x" for that parcel you gain the buff of... (these are ideas for what said buff could be) Increased beneficial harvest chance. Increased combat stats such as crit, or damage mitigation. Greater plentiful harvest chance. Better buffs should be placed on more valuable objectives that are furthest away from the three starting factions locations.  It could create say a "summer season" level of bounty from resources, if there are only say two or three of these parcels in a campaign then holding them in winter will create a lot of content throughout the winter season. These buffs should be limited to said parcel that the objective is in. These buffs should also scale with how much the objective has been upgraded.

Ideal outcome from this idea: Fewer points of interest mean that when you are at a specific objective you are more likely to encounter players, it will also create a need to hold certain objectives for gathering since they lead to "hot spots" especially as winter approaches. This will lead to more focused points that guilds and players alike can focus on rather than running across an entire map taking control of points that ultimately they only care about for the sake of points.

Bonus idea: I believe that there should be large "boss" like humanoid or otherwise NPC's that should be available to guard forts capture points and Keeps tree's. This should not help defend walls but it should help defend against small groups and wall exploits. Long term there will be a lot of work invested into making these objectives and there should be ways to help defend them more effectively since a great deal of work will most likely go into making and developing them. I realize this would take more work than my other suggestions, but I think it would be well worth it.

I like the idea of adding value to the outposts some way. I'm not as sure about the keep!boss - I wonder if that takes focus away from the more important bases? But boosting resources around outposts or something could be cool.

Yeah i think this needs some sort of tweaking. Someone else mentioned in another post to link them together, so that you cannot simple take every outpost or fort you want, but you have to take them in specific order. This would also lead to a situation where one point, which is essential far 2 or 3 factions in order to progress any further, is like super contested. And therefore there should be lots of fights arround it. I like that idea, but your purposes are also interesting.