Sign in to follow this  
SaintyBoyo

EK Question (Keeping one Online?!)

Just a quick couple question really BUT currently EK's can be launched and only stay online any length of time if someone is in them. Are there plans for me being able to launch an EK and A.) have it running while I'm online (even if its another character playing a campaign) or B.) being able to set launch it log off an it stay online long time, or even better schedule it to come on an off all time.

By plans I mean lot later in development etc. I can see them being limited now due to pre-alpha or is current mechanics how they plan to have them work? I'm wanting to build an EK for my guild to use but hard when I have to be the one launching it all time or is there a way to allow certain people (ie my entire guild ) launch the EK without me either being online or when im playing campaign?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

They do plan to have EKs stay up longer, even while they are empty. At one point they talked about the size of the EK determining how long it stays up. Right now, EKs have a 12 person capacity. There will be a method by which that number increases, and the more it increases, the longer the EK will stay up when it is empty. That was what they talked about, but I don't know if that is exactly how they will do it. 

They've also talked about ways to search for EKs and how the most popular ones will be easier to find. That could be another factor used in determining how long it stays up.

They do plan to enable nobles to start up EKs, so even if you aren't around, one of your nobles can launch your EK.

What I and others have done in the past is use a secondary account to keep the EK open. I would launch the EK then enter the EK from a different account and just leave that character there to keep the EK open. It isn't ideal, but it works.

Edited by Arkade

They absolutely need to make EKs able to be started on demand by anyone if they are public. It should be automatic, like joining an instance in any other game. When someone attempts to join, if it's not spun up it spins up automatically. This should be cheaper for them in server costs because right now what happens is instead of EKs spinning down and back up as people come and go they just stay up all the time as people idle in them to make sure they stay open.

Automatic instance starting is a standard MMO thing, and if it doesn't happen it's going to really kill EKs.