Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CougarOne

Visiting after a year to check on games progress.

I still can't get past the horrible graphics of this game.   It is worse than some of the games my daughter plays.    Why must you make a game that is going to remarkable as yours  and  put it with these Fred Flintstone Graphics.         

Costs much less to have this style of graphics and is less demanding on hardware. If you are looking for waifu then BDO might be down your alley, although it is 4 years old now, I suspect it still has best graphics for an mmo.

Cougar,

I definitely see where you're coming from BUT remember the game is pre-alpha.  If you played a year ago before the shader(s) and stuff were implemented, it looked like a completely different game.  Yes the graphics are a bit WoW-esque.  They need to put some "dark spin" on certain areas, armor, weapons etc...and I think that will change the "mood" and hopefully offset the "kiddie" look.

You are entirely correct though, the game has definitely taken some "strange" turns considering its origin/creators.  I still believe though this game has the highest potential for success in a pvp environment. Lets keep our fingers crossed and give the devs a little extra time for "polish". :)

Posted (edited)

I think it's a question of optimization. Unfortunately, I noticed that the graphics despite the low quality do not have stable FPS. I find the aesthetic resembling type children's games and this outdated craft system (even ESO is better) makes it look like a "happy farm" game and not a true PVP game.

Edited by hamon

59 minutes ago, hamon said:

I think it's a question of optimization. Unfortunately, I noticed that the graphics despite the low quality do not have stable FPS. I find the aesthetic resembling type children's games and this outdated craft system (even ESO is better) makes it look like a "happy farm" game and not a true PVP game.

the graphics are not the cause of fps issues. If this game had high quality graphics then many folks with older gpu's would have graphics lag in addition to what we have now. Its issues with the unity client and their netcode. 

18 hours ago, CougarOne said:

I still can't get past the horrible graphics of this game.   It is worse than some of the games my daughter plays.    Why must you make a game that is going to remarkable as yours  and  put it with these Fred Flintstone Graphics.         

I personally like the graphics, it’s the art style that attracted me to the game in the first place. Also simpler stylised graphics mean the game won’t date as badly over time.

Posted (edited)

Graphical content opinions are always a fascinating thing to watch because graphics, like art, is purely subjective. But there are a few things you can learn from the topic...

Hardcore PvPers rarely care about the graphics as it's all about the gameplay... The game could just be various multicolored cubes, but if the combat loop is phenomenal they'll play it religiously and theory-craft about it for hours and hours. If the game has decent graphics, and there's a hot pink thong that is best in slot - they'll wear it without a second thought because it's all about the win and the graphics are just the information conveyance needed to reach that win.

The more casual the player, the more they tend to grouse about graphical definition because they're more invested in the time between the game loops. They spend more time 'in the world' as it were because the game, for them, is more of an interactive media source and 3D chat room than a series of win conditions.

The thing is - it's a game. Historically, graphically amazing games aren't successful because too much effort is put into the number of nose sliders versus the depth of the game elements... WoW vs. EQ2 is a great example; EQ2 is still quite pretty to look at, but WoW is arguably the better 'game' when you look at all of the functional loops in it - and WoW still runs respectably on millions of low-end computers, which is money in the bank.

I personally think Crowfall is right on the mark graphically; it's visually distinctive enough that you can recognize it from a youtube thumbnail, but isn't totally style over substance like a BDO or Revelation Online. Also ACE's focus is on the gameplay elements over having a building full of artists creating assets, and this is refreshing; you don't see that too often anymore because developers know screen shots sell games... No one plays said game for more than 60-90 days, but they still bought it - and that's good enough for the end-of-year bonuses.

Edited by raeshlavik

I personally like the graphics but even if I didn't I'm in love with the combat, a good system will always be more important then graphics, its why games like oblivion and god help me for saying this wizard101 are still popular compared to some newer great looking games with terrible systems