Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pappy

Confessor Talent/Skill Tree needs work

Just looking at the talent tree you can see immediately 3 wasted points.  

• Increase range by 4m per point (3/3)  - meaning 12m extra
  • Sanctifier - Final point = Range decreased to MAX 8m for 20% extra damage

The range of 8m for a caster is completely broken.  Melee has endless swings because they aren't based on mana, but a Confessor even wearing plate will run out of mana fairly fast. Maybe with this point make it to where Confessor can use a Mace like Templar? Isn't that what a plate confessor ultimately is with different spells?

Suggestion:  When picking your final branch, allow a respec.  Give the Chaos Temple a respec vendor.  Allow the use of Dust to respec once a season or something.

"If your not failing sometimes, you aren't growing.  Without growth, there can never be greatness."

6 hours ago, pappy said:

Just looking at the talent tree you can see immediately 3 wasted points.  

• Increase range by 4m per point (3/3)  - meaning 12m extra
  • Sanctifier - Final point = Range decreased to MAX 8m for 20% extra damage

Nobody forces you to put 3 points into a rangeincrease, if you want to go for the platefessor. If you are new to the game and you dont know about the talents, you will not do the same mistake on your next vessel. Its all about starting over and it will be even more, as soon as the disciplines are locked to your vessel...

6 hours ago, pappy said:

The range of 8m for a caster is completely broken.  Melee has endless swings because they aren't based on mana, but a Confessor even wearing plate will run out of mana fairly fast. Maybe with this point make it to where Confessor can use a Mace like Templar? Isn't that what a plate confessor ultimately is with different spells?

Suggestion:  When picking your final branch, allow a respec.  Give the Chaos Temple a respec vendor.  Allow the use of Dust to respec once a season or something.

There are ways to keep the mana up. Also, 8m for your autoattk is double the range of a normal meleeswing. Never saw a Templar using a mace btw... You would even cry more being forced to 4 meters range, so whats the point?

After all. If you dont want to get gimped to a 8 Meters range in the near future, you should not go with the tank-confessor. 

Mana Shield (via Master of Focus) would be a great investment for any Confessor stuck with an 8m LMB attack. Just throwing that out there.

But also there's so much more to that class than LMB attacks, LOL.

Hi, I'm moneda.

s1tKI24.png

28 minutes ago, moneda said:

Mana Shield (via Master of Focus) would be a great investment for any Confessor stuck with an 8m LMB attack. Just throwing that out there.

But also there's so much more to that class than LMB attacks, LOL.

I dont see manashield even being needed, since he gets alot of barrier-procs from the book's firewall. Talking from a groupplay perspective here...he will be close to templars and clerics in fights, so there is no point in going full sustain. Surviving longer than the rest of the team, doesnt help the team^^ There is more than lmb, but the range of this stuff will be also forced to 8 meters soonish. 

Yep next patch they will be forced into 8m.  Class is still playable and can win vs melees but range will be their bane & hard counter. 

On 1/6/2019 at 3:32 AM, Makuza said:

Nobody forces you to put 3 points into a rangeincrease, if you want to go for the platefessor. If you are new to the game and you dont know about the talents, you will not do the same mistake on your next vessel. Its all about starting over and it will be even more, as soon as the disciplines are locked to your vessel...

There are ways to keep the mana up. Also, 8m for your autoattk is double the range of a normal meleeswing. Never saw a Templar using a mace btw... You would even cry more being forced to 4 meters range, so whats the point?

After all. If you dont want to get gimped to a 8 Meters range in the near future, you should not go with the tank-confessor. 

Wow Makuza, you sure know how to be condescending.  You assume way too much without trying in the least bit to put yourself in someone elses shoes.  Not everyone will or has time invested into this game as it seems you have, but let me put it this way.  Having a skill far down in the skill tree that seems like its great but have it FULLY cancelled out with one choice late in the skill tree makes ZERO sense.  Yes, nobody is forcing a player to take those skills, but nobody is there hand holding them during game play either and for a new or unseasoned player, its something that needs to be looked into.  This isn't the only skill that needs adjusting, but it was the biggest one I cared to leave as an example.

Also, there is very little information about anything in this game right now.  Vessels are required to logout and recreate a new toon? Who would have thought that I leveled all the way to 30 to only start over because I got a new vessel?  Saying that I shouldn't pick tank-confessor because it limits it to 8m is a terrible argument because when I read 4m per point into the skill, it would add on to the 8m cap BECAUSE I SPENT THE POINT TO INCREASE THE RANGE. 

Base confessor range is 30m right? Plus talents = 42m?
Tank-confessor is 8m right?  Plus talents should be 20m.   Still a huge range cost of 22m.

Why would it be wrong to think I am losing 22m by picking Tank-confessor and not 34m?

"If your not failing sometimes, you aren't growing.  Without growth, there can never be greatness."

Ya sorry. I was rude. I had to much time testing stuff and since its not a hassle to level a vessel in a couple minutes to max (even without the archframes), I went a lil bit fast here.

Its playerdepend. From a normal mmorpgs perspective its absolutly true, since leveling takes most of the time longer than a week to reach the max, which would be a huge loss of time with the current talent tree. 

As I started into 5.8 I was reading all the skills till the end before deciding whichone to pick. Since the passive of the tankconfessor clearly stated that picking this passive will reduce all his skills to 8 meters, I knew that I dont have to pick the rangeincrease in the first place (which is a mistake in the current state, but will be important soon).

Other players are going in more blindfolded, without reading and planning in beforehand or grabbing info elsewhere... but this is also fine, since the timeloss is not that huge and these 3 points will not ruin your vessel, even if you dont get anything from that. On your second vessel of the same class you will even have more stuff you can skip, like the meteor and so on. Its a learning experience and a tiny issue in my view

I have to agree that it's a poorly thought out placement of skills. At the very least, there should either be a warning when investing in the range extension, or a refund of any points spent there when picking the final 8m skill. Also, to point out, platefessors lose 80% of their range, and gain Plate + 20% dmg. While plate does allow us to survive more hits, it also makes us take more hits. Is 20% damage worth 34m range and maybe 3-5 more swings? Hard to say.

In terms of "you messed up, reroll" there's a thread about CW and SB and the "let us mess up our toons, it's fun". While I like the idea of less hand holding;

1) Don't set us up to fail (like the Confessor tree example). That's poor design, not poor choices. Most players won't be like "aaaah ya got me! Well played ArtCraft!".

2) Keep in mind that CW will need a healthy player base in order to survive, not just the 17 diehard SB fans. A good way to ramp up churn is to frustrate your players. Whether we like it or not, the current gamer doesn't have a long attention span with the vast number of options at their disposal. If we don't want CW to look like Albion, we need to make it easier for new players to get a foothold and actually participate in the game.

I think it's pretty clear that the Devs acknowledge they need to rework a bunch of stuff, so it's good to flag these issues so they don't overlook it. Also, allowing Alchemists or whatever to craft a respec potion would be a good way to restrict it. You could bury it deep in the tree, and make it expensive. That way, you'll need to live with bad decisions for a while, but not have to reroll. Also, given that we're in Pre-Alpha, I don't really understand the point of no respecs. They give us all Discs for free, why not allow us to test these mechanics and builds for them without the hassle of leveling up a new vessel?