Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/19/2015 - Physics + Double Archetype Drop!

Feb19Banner2.jpg

Hey folks,

A few items for you today!

- First up, TWO new archetypes for you! The Elven Frostweaver, and the Guinecean Duelist. Both of these narratives provide a few more clues about the Crowfall universe, and (in the case of the latter) probably make a lot more sense given Tuesday's update about our Worlds being destructible!  That said, only the Frostweaver has a screenshot -- and that is because...

Next Tuesday at 2:00pm CST, we'll be doing a twitch stream of the creation of the Guinecean Duelist character model! Our friends and partners at OMNOM workshop (who we rely on heavily to help us sculpt our game characters) have graciously offered to allow everyone a chance to see how the sausage is made.  In this case, the "sausage" is a talking guinea pig with the saber and a flintlock pistol.

- Additionally, we've added another FAQ to the website: Physics!  This one covers the physics model that we're using to model movement (and gravity, and inertia, and momentum...) in the Crowfall universe.  What is a physics system, how does it affect gameplay, and how can I use it to my advantage?

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Double Trouble, two archetypes in one!

Elven Frostweavers!

Guineceans!  (I'm the first fan to say that word, and it sounds awesome, reminds me of Phoenecians!)

But the real star of today is The Physics of Crowfall, I'll be reading that!

The final pre-countdown update, awesome.  Soon the countdown will come, Tuesday 6:00 AM Pacific time soon.

10. Can I use physics to push another player off a cliff? Or down a mountain?

Absolutely, assuming the force applied to them is enough to move their mass. Some of the characters have much more mass than others like the Centaur or the Champion.

*Squeal*

13. How can players take advantage of this system (shield walls, or tactical formations)?

We anticipate the tank types to have positional control on the battlefields, they will create formations or walls to protect whom or whatever is behind them.

*Faints*  *Wakes up*

15. Does that mean that I can be hit by friendly fire?

Wherever possible, yes...

I knew it was true in my heart.  Friendly fire in FFA ruleset confirmed (The only REAL ruleset), Friendly fire confirmed to be restricted partially or completely in non-FFA rulesets depending on need (Depends of how how of a bully we all are).

16. How does this system work with the destructible environment system?

If walls crash down on you, you will take damage. If the ground opens up below you will fall. The environment can be just as lethal as an enemy player.

First thing that came into my mind was:

"Sir we are surrounded, they are scaling up the mountain, we are dead!"

*Crackle*  "I'll take care of them boy." *rumble*  "Avalanche!" *PSHSHSHHSHHSHS*

Today's Summary

• Players can push each other off cliffs.
  • Shield walls are a thing.
  • Friendly Fire Confirmed in FFA ruleset
  • Collateral Damage, walls that fall no you, break your bones.
  • New Screenshot of Hellcat's below this post? *Gasp*
Edited by sneaky_squirrel

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Omg he's a duelist!  I think I found my dood.  *reads voraciously*

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

5. Does this system affect... characters, monsters, objects, buildings, terrain?

Yes, the system affects everything in the world.

6. Can players block other players from moving?

Yes they can, which should allow for some interesting battlefield formations. However, not all characters will have the same mass, so a larger character like a Centaur will have no trouble pushing a much smaller Assassin out of the way. Also, some characters may have special powers that enable them to teleport past other players, while others may have powers that prevent players from passing them. Controlling the battlefield will be a key strategy to master!

15. Does that mean that I can be hit by friendly fire?

Wherever possible, yes -- but we have to make sure that this is balanced. Some rules sets (like the infected worlds, which are Faction based) divide players automatically into teams. We have to make sure that players can't join teams specifically to take advantage of friendly fire to grief their own "teammates."

Our plan is to try and apply debuffs to players for doing damage to or killing their teammates (the gods curse you for your incompetence). If this proves not to be a good enough deterrent, however, we may have to turn friendly fire off for particular Campaign worlds.

Will possible restrictions on friendly fire apply to not just damaging abilities but physics based abilities such as pulls and knockbacks?  (You just know people will do things like find a nice bridge and have some fun with unsuspecting "allies.")

rSHxVEY.gif

Guinea pigs are awesome......nice and crunchy and go well with both red and white wines.....but make an exquisite pairing when coupled with a gouda or nice brie....

and physics?

what...you got pistols or something?

:::looks at the flintlock:::

oh....well then...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Guinea pigs are awesome......nice and crunchy and go well with both red and white wines.....but make an exquisite pairing when coupled with a gouda or nice brie....

serious for a second... did you ever try them? :)

I've ate a lot of different animals, but no guinea pigs yet

We also added a new screenshot to the media page on the website! It'll be hard for this Frostweaver to get out of this one. 

Crowfall_FWGameplay1.jpg

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]