Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rikutatis

5.8 Performance Discussion and Suggestion

Posted (edited)

So this is pretty much what happens every single night on the US server during prime time siege hours: 

Some ppl may have slightly better or slightly worse performance, but overall this is what you get. That fight started with around 50-60 ppl and then another 20 or so joined in at the end. So maybe 70-80 in total. Again, I repeat: this is what happens every single night during keep sieges. 

I sincerely doubt this performance will suddenly get better until the end of the month and the beginning of the official sanctioned campaigns. And I really don't think the first sanctioned campaigns with rewards should be played in lag as atrocious as this. 

What I propose is for the devs to modify the way objectives work during this time to force people to spread out. So we'd be more likely to see a bunch of 10v10s than one location crammed with 80 people. I don't know how to achieve that, maybe the 6 forts inside adventure zones also can only be sieged during the same time keeps are, and they give something extra special to the faction that owns them? Special mats, a harvesting bonus in the zone, I don't know. That way instead of 3 keeps, there'd be 9 points to be captured and hopefully people would be forced to spread out more? And make it in such a way that you can't just insta cap the forts in 1 min and then everyone rushes to the same keep again. Those fights should be going on simultaneously.

I'm not sure, there's probably better ideas out there, but I think something should be done to spread people out. And to avoid at all costs having some sort of objective that forces the whole server to converge on the same spot (like the last emperor keep in ESO for example). 

Edited by Rikutatis

Posted (edited)

I hope this is a fair question... what can even be done to address this? I know the game isn't fully optimized yet, but it's been like this for years from my understanding.  

One of the appeals of the game massive combat. But if fights of 70 to 80 people literally collapse the games playability, it seems like there's a very long way to go.

Edited by excellz
Typo

Posted (edited)

I will say Target caps on aoe are a little on the silly side, GW2 had an issue with it because aoe were designed to counter grouping up however putting a cap on the targets did the complete opposite at one point in GW2 there was a point where people would portal bomb. Basicly they would have 50 people in WVW running around and they would drop mezmer portal in the middle of the opponent where they all pop up as a stack of 50 shooting anyone in range if people scatted you would portal bomb again to a new spot, you would never move out of these ball since AOE were capped at 5 targets and anyone in the group would be unkillable due to not being able to damage anyone enough before they demolished your entire zerg in pretty much an instant cause they were clump up in a single point.
Aoe in my option should hit everyone in the aoe spot, cone attacks should do the same this includes left click swings.

Edited by veeshan

20 minutes ago, veeshan said:

I will say Target caps on aoe are a little on the silly side, GW2 had an issue with it because aoe were designed to counter grouping up however putting a cap on the targets did the complete opposite at one point in GW2 there was a point where people would portal bomb. Basicly they would have 50 people in WVW running around and they would drop mezmer portal in the middle of the opponent where they all pop up as a stack of 50 shooting anyone in range if people scatted you would portal bomb again to a new spot, you would never move out of these ball since AOE were capped at 5 targets and anyone in the group would be unkillable due to not being able to damage anyone enough before they demolished your entire zerg in pretty much an instant cause they were clump up in a single point.
Aoe in my option should hit everyone in the aoe spot, cone attacks should do the same this includes left click swings.

ESO had exactly the same problem as GW2. DAoC had no AoE caps, it was glorious to see a well coordinated 8-man group wipe a 50 man zerg caught unaware. 

If the Dregs go back to the old Big World 5-man group friendly fire, it won't be so bad. But the map objectives should attempt to force people to spread out as well. 

To be fair, AoE caps are good for network performance. Limiting the amount of people taking damage (or healing) from an ability limits the amount of calculating the server has to do and relaying of target information to clients. If they could find a way to remove the caps and improve performance I'd support it, but that may not be possible, and I'll take better performance if the choice is given to me.

Posted (edited)

@thomasblair A number of our guys have noticed that their performance goes to hell whenever their client has to load a sacrifice brazier.  Even wall torches cause a problem for some clients.  Can you test turning off those flame effects?  I should note that my client doesn't have this issue, so I'm reporting hearsay here.

My client does still struggle in large fights, though not as much as people with older gaming machines.  It feels like Crowfall leans more on the CPU than the GPU - my GPU doesn't show much strain even in large fights, but my CPU notices them.  

I run an i7-8800k, 32GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a GTX 1070.  It really shouldn't struggle with a game with cartoon-style graphics.

Edited by Durenthal

Now imagine playing at 10-15 fps in a giant zerg ball with knock ups every few seconds. Might possibly be the most infuriating mechanic ever introduced in a game.

18 minutes ago, Durenthal said:

@thomasblair A number of our guys have noticed that their performance goes to hell whenever their client has to load a sacrifice brazier.  Even wall torches cause a problem for some clients.  Can you test turning off those flame effects?  I should note that my client doesn't have this issue, so I'm reporting hearsay here.

My client does still struggle in large fights, though not as much as people with older gaming machines.  It feels like Crowfall leans more on the CPU than the GPU - my GPU doesn't show much strain even in large fights, but my CPU notices them.  

I run an i7-8800k, 32GB of RAM, a 1TB SSD, and a GTX 1070.  It really shouldn't struggle with a game with cartoon-style graphics.

I run an Ryzen 2700X and a RTX 2080, and I still have bad frames in the large keep fights. As far as the braziers go, I've never noticed an issue... but..I can remember before I upgraded my processor, The hunger crystals absolutely destroyed my frames. As the seasons progressed, the land was littered with because noone bothered taking them down.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, moneda said:

To be fair, AoE caps are good for network performance. Limiting the amount of people taking damage (or healing) from an ability limits the amount of calculating the server has to do and relaying of target information to clients. If they could find a way to remove the caps and improve performance I'd support it, but that may not be possible, and I'll take better performance if the choice is given to me.

This! Try removing the caps, Daoc didn't have any caps and never had any issues having 100vs100 with all sorts of spell effects happening, once a game starts playing around with area caps to stop small man killing large numbers, the server try's to calculate numbers and random figures and that's why it effects performance. GW2 didn't have caps during its beta phases but introduced them when it went live, guess which had better performance...

Sign in to follow this