Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalannar

Crafting Harvesting tools

Is it worth crafting the top tier rune harvesting tools using non basic materials?  I tried a few with non basic and basic and seem the same.  Wanted to know if I should stick with basic materials.

You won't see a big difference when crafting basic or intermediate runetools with non-basic materials. When crafting advanced tools, with sufficient training and buffs, you will see a big difference with better materials.

IhhQKY6.gif

10 minutes ago, kalannar said:

Do you need better materials for all or is it just the ore that matters?

The quality of the wood, ore, stone all matter when making advanced runetools.

If you get lucky you can get away with using high quality ore with low quality wood and stone, but you may get unlucky and end up with low quality runes.

IhhQKY6.gif

Sorry to keep asking questions but trying to get my head around the crafting.  So would rank 1 resource be better then basic or do I wait to use way higher rank like 5 or 8?

Rank of the node affects the probability of quality materials being produced during harvesting (and the difficulty of harvesting it), but will not necessarily give you better resources.

The quality of the materials is Poor (grey), Common (white), uncommon (green) etc...

The quality of materials will affect the probability of a better assembly with more available experimentation pips available to you, but if you don't have the experimentation points to make use of it, better materials won't help you.

Until you get a fair way into the runecrafting skill tree, I would only use common materials for tools.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jah said:

The quality of the wood, ore, stone all matter when making advanced runetools.

If you get lucky you can get away with using high quality ore with low quality wood and stone, but you may get unlucky and end up with low quality runes.

Going to follow up on this.

• White tools will give you 4 experimentation pips to work with which you can max out quickly. (Don't worry about durability rolls)
  • If your not looking for sub effects,(+crit chance etc),  slag/knott/cobble is good enough to make a 4 pip tool.
  • You can hit -22 with 4 pips. The negative here is confusing. It's a node armor reduction, so it's a minus, but really ACE needs to flip this so it's obviously better.
  • You can get a better average on the results of 4 pips by training the experimentation success line at the top. 
  • The better the value, the more damage it will do to the node through the armor.  Some nodes really need a high score (rank 7+), while some are fine with just about any tool. I divide based on +/- 15, with anything above 25 being "good".
  • Green will give you 7 total pips, and a subsequent higher bonus average, but you need the more pips training line.
  • You "can" get a tool to upgrade from white to green at the cost of 1/5 of a green wood through the parchment.  If your into gambling, that's the way to do it.
  • More frequent success at that cheap upgrade comes from the combine training line.

I personally never waste green ore on a tool, nor dust on re-rolls. (Same dust as one re-roll will roll multiple tools)

I will use green wood on parchment and stone on blanks, and only use green stone blanks on the green runes that are a lucky roll. (Green stone coming from surplus caused by mineral motherload farming.)

Cheers

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

• White tools will give you 4 experimentation pips to work with which you can max out quickly. (Don't worry about durability rolls)
  • If your not looking for sub effects,(+crit chance etc),  slag/knott/cobble is good enough to make a 4 pip tool.
  • You can hit -22 with 4 pips. The negative here is confusing. It's a node armor reduction, so it's a minus, but really ACE needs to flip this so it's obviously better.
  • You can get a better average on the results of 4 pips by training the experimentation success line at the top. 
  • The better the value, the more damage it will do to the node through the armor.  Some nodes really need a high score (rank 7+), while some are fine with just about any tool. I divide based on +/- 15, with anything above 25 being "good".
  • Green will give you 7 total pips, and a subsequent higher bonus average, but you need the more pips training line.
  • You "can" get a tool to upgrade from white to green at the cost of 1/5 of a green wood through the parchment.  If your into gambling, that's the way to do it.
  • More frequent success at that cheap upgrade comes from the combine training line.

I personally never waste green ore on a tool, nor dust on re-rolls. (Same dust as one re-roll will roll multiple tools)

I will use green wood on parchment and stone on blanks, and only use green stone blanks on the green runes that are a lucky roll. (Green stone coming from surplus caused by mineral motherload farming.)

Cheers

Thanks Krakken, this helps me to understand the crafting system alot more.

2 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Cheers

Is it true that the passive skill training for harvesting that improves damage on nodes when using rune tools is only added on when you have a blue "spirit" run tool equipped?

2 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

Is it true that the passive skill training for harvesting that improves damage on nodes when using rune tools is only added on when you have a blue "spirit" run tool equipped?

I do not know. 

I haven't used a non-blue tool since my first day in the EK.  With the ability to use knott/cobble/slag, and swap disciples basically at will, I only use the basic tools if I absolutely have nothing else and am desperate to whack a node.  Usually I have a few rows of rune tools in my spirit bank, and with the generous amounts of transfer tokens, I don't even think about using anything else.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:50 AM, DocHollidaze said:

It's not true. It works with any tool.