Pann

ACE Q&A for January - Official discussion thread

Recommended Posts

Quote

Q: Will capture bonus apply to the Dregs?
Todd: The capture bonus is a general mechanic that I intend to use for all of the campaigns.

So wait, the Dregs will have us just capturing forts and keeps for points? That's kind of disappointing, and seems like it will be a little weird with a hundred different guilds fighting for control of stuff. Also curious what we'll be capturing since I thought the idea was to let us build our own stuff in the dregs instead of having pre-placed buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Svenn said:

So wait, the Dregs will have us just capturing forts and keeps for points? That's kind of disappointing, and seems like it will be a little weird with a hundred different guilds fighting for control of stuff. Also curious what we'll be capturing since I thought the idea was to let us build our own stuff in the dregs instead of having pre-placed buildings.

@jtoddcoleman

I’m a little confused. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mandalore said:

@jtoddcoleman

I’m a little confused. 

The question was about "capture bonus" as a general mechanic.  I don't see why that wouldn't work on the Dregs with player-built assets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mandalore said:

I’m dregs I assumed assets wouldn’t be easy come easy go like they are for factions. 

I assume that as well. I don't see how the capture bonus as a general mechanic is incompatible with that, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jah said:

I assume that as well. I don't see how the capture bonus as a general mechanic is incompatible with that, though.

Well, the real question is what is the win condition for dregs? I mean, are we going to build our own keeps and then those start generating points? Are there going to be keeps/outposts/forts that guilds have to fight over (I hope not, the whole idea of dregs was building your own stuff and fighting over that)? It would be pretty disappointing if Dregs was basically the same thing as the faction campaigns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Svenn said:

Well, the real question is what is the win condition for dregs? I mean, are we going to build our own keeps and then those start generating points? Are there going to be keeps/outposts/forts that guilds have to fight over (I hope not, the whole idea of dregs was building your own stuff and fighting over that)? It would be pretty disappointing if Dregs was basically the same thing as the faction campaigns.

I think everybody agrees on that.  I cannot see how points will work in dregs if we are free building.  I don't see win conditions working either.  If you force people to stay when they are losing they will quit the game.  If you allow people to leave when they are losing you kill the campaigns and punish the winners with an empty server.  Once you begin to define winning conditions, somebody has to be the loser and weeks/months invested in a server to only lose over and over doesn't keep people playing.  Servers will stagnate and die the same way SB servers (with a few exceptions) did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mandalore said:

I think everybody agrees on that.  I cannot see how points will work in dregs if we are free building.  I don't see win conditions working either.  If you force people to stay when they are losing they will quit the game.  If you allow people to leave when they are losing you kill the campaigns and punish the winners with an empty server.  Once you begin to define winning conditions, somebody has to be the loser and weeks/months invested in a server to only lose over and over doesn't keep people playing.  Servers will stagnate and die the same way SB servers (with a few exceptions) did. 

I personally wouldn't want to discourage people from "tapping out" in a campaign and leaving. They should go try a new campaign. We just need win conditions that allow a dominant force to end a Dregs campaign by force. That way nobody ever has to wait around for a campaign to end. Losers leave when they know they have lost, and winners are able to force an end to a campaign when they are dominant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jah said:

I personally wouldn't want to discourage people from "tapping out" in a campaign and leaving. They should go try a new campaign. We just need win conditions that allow a dominant force to end a Dregs campaign by force. That way nobody ever has to wait around for a campaign to end. Losers leave when they know they have lost, and winners are able to force an end to a campaign when they are dominant.

Do you think campaigns will go full term then?  If people can just lose and end it early if they are losing will really suck.  What if you're losing and don't want to forfeit but enough have left that you really have no choice.  What if you won the campaign early and theres no CW's that you can hope into and not be at a disadvantage bc yours ended early?  What to stop people from trading wins? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mandalore said:

Do you think campaigns will go full term then?  If people can just lose and end it early if they are losing will really suck.  What if you're losing and don't want to forfeit but enough have left that you really have no choice.  What if you won the campaign early and theres no CW's that you can hope into and not be at a disadvantage bc yours ended early?  What to stop people from trading wins? 

I agree there are some challenging problems there. I disagree that it sucks for losers to quit. I'd rather play a new, more competitive campaign, than slog it out against people that have given up hope of winning. I agree that if you are losing and want to keep at it, you should be able to. JTC talked about a campaign type where losers get kicked out, but that was just a variant he was talking about, not a general mechanic. As far as campaigns ending at a time when there are no campaigns to join, I think that is a problem that needs to be solved. There should almost always be a campaign available that you could join. I recognize that requires sufficient population to achieve, but I believe it is achievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the concept of rewards based on a leader board mentioned in a recent live stream.  That could apply to both guild and individual.  1st place might be locked up, but there could still be incentive for competition further down the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ren said:

I liked the concept of rewards based on a leader board mentioned in a recent live stream.  That could apply to both guild and individual.  1st place might be locked up, but there could still be incentive for competition further down the board.

How do you rank healers?  Crafters?  Harvesters?  Tanks?  Support chars like Bards? 

 

Edited by mandalore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mandalore said:

How do you rank healers?  Crafters?  Harvesters?  Tanks?  Support chars like Bards? 

 

As mentioned in the live stream, they would need to account for those contributions as well in some manner to be determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ren said:

As mentioned in the live stream, they would need to account for those contributions as well in some manner to be determined.

Okay, lets not pass the buck.  Got any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mandalore said:

Okay, lets not pass the buck.  Got any suggestions?

Nope.  You?

My post was not about specifics of scoring mechanics, rather the scale of granularity of scoring differing between organizations and individuals.  While some factions/alliances/guilds may be satisfied with their lot and stop competing, some individuals may no be so inclined.

Edited by ren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.