Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ZYBAK

Zybak Interview with J Todd Coleman and Thomas Blair

I hope you guys enjoy this. My intentions were to have this be an interview by the players and for the players. I asked them some pretty tough questions and I think it turned out pretty well!

Thanks for putting this together Zybak, it was really interesting for me who's been away for so long and am just returning to see what the devs' current perspective on all these topics are. 

Some highlights for me were:

1) Blair saying they think the current gear power curve is too steep and they want to make it more shallow. Thus the nerf in adv weapon damage. I hope they intend to look into armor as well, since mitigation vs pen is huge as well in terms of power curve, probably a bit too much. 

2) Their philosophy on CC is to keep your character more in control and I'm very happy they intend to keep the current direction, even if they're willing to tweak things a little bit. 

3) JTodd ideas on a Dregs CW that will eliminate guilds each season based on victory points performance and keep the top guilds til the winner. I know some ppl dislike the idea of being eliminated as a solo player or tiny guild, but honestly I think it makes sense for a Shadow/Dregs CW (still unsure if they are merging both, but assume so). 

4) This is more of a concern of mine: but seems like the Big World style 5-man group friendly fire we had in earlier stages of testing is not going to be the default for the Dregs. So basically Dregs could end up being the same zerg ball spamfest that the faction ruleset is with Alliance wide friendly fire immunities. I was really hoping that 5-man group FF from BW would return in the Dregs to differentiate it from the faction rulesets and make the combat gameplay more tactical and less spammy. 

Well some sound issues, but I enjoyed the interview and rated it 5 stars. My main concern however is lack of core mmorpg features if u exclude crafting and sieges for a moment and reflect about the whole game Crowfall. It need more content like taming, summoning magic, treasure hunting, and something to keep players busy which don`t involve crafting at all. 

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

I feel they should rethink there standpoint for CC when it comes to classe spec that are designed for CCing like Sentinel for example there whole kit is CC base with low dmg and they cant effectively do that due to being able to E out of everything.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

3 hours ago, Rikutatis said:

2) Their philosophy on CC is to keep your character more in control and I'm very happy they intend to keep the current direction, even if they're willing to tweak things a little bit. 

This one stuck out to me while listening to the interview.  So there are diminishing returns and CC breaks to prevent people from getting stun locked.  Good.  But...

...WHY are 1/3 of the class promotion trees focused on CC?

Most classes have a CC promotion path. That strikes me as vastly out of proportion to the probably distribution of what players will play.  Yet there are painfully few healing options.  And buffing support in general feels lacking.  Is it time to relook at some of those CC promotions and skew them more towards other avenues?

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

3 hours ago, Rikutatis said:

3) JTodd ideas on a Dregs CW that will eliminate guilds each season based on victory points performance and keep the top guilds til the winner. I know some ppl dislike the idea of being eliminated as a solo player or tiny guild, but honestly I think it makes sense for a Shadow/Dregs CW (still unsure if they are merging both, but assume so).

My general response to some of the negativity I've seen around this idea is that if you don't like the ruleset...don't play on that campaign. That's the point of having multiple rulesets/campaigns, right?

Plus I took his comments to mean not that they wanted to eliminate players/guild as the season progresses but rather they wanted to consolidate the warring factions by forcing them to swear fealty to a more successful guild. So "factions" emerge organically as the campaign progresses and still use the guild/hierarchy systems extensively but aren't just vanilla "faction campaigns". Elimination from the campaign is just the enforcement mechanism to make sure you'd swear fealty to make the ruleset work. Fealty or death.

But again if you don't like that, just don't play it. I think it's a decent concept.

Edited by Darguth

3 hours ago, ren said:

This one stuck out to me while listening to the interview.  So there are diminishing returns and CC breaks to prevent people from getting stun locked.  Good.  But...

Most classes have a CC promotion path. That strikes me as vastly out of proportion to the probably distribution of what players will play.  Yet there are painfully few healing options.  And buffing support in general feels lacking.  Is it time to relook at some of those CC promotions and skew them more towards other avenues?

That's a very valid concern, I agree. I think it was veeshan that suggested in another thread to give the CC promotions CC that sticks a little more somehow (as long as it's not overboard), that way if you want the most effective CC you can get, you need to spec into those. That sounded like a good idea. Redesigning the CC promotion classes to be something else sounds good as well. But I agree they just feel lackluster atm. 

5 hours ago, mythx said:

Well some sound issues, but I enjoyed the interview and rated it 5 stars. My main concern however is lack of core mmorpg features if u exclude crafting and sieges for a moment and reflect about the whole game Crowfall. It need more content like taming, summoning magic, treasure hunting, and something to keep players busy which don`t involve crafting at all. 

Taming will be part of the game at some point. Todd mentioned it in the Q&A and that it is something that could conceivably be pushed to post launch. Pets will be in, but taming might not be the way to get them initially. They will probably just start with them being crafted until they have time to build the taming system right.

Treasure hunting will exist. Thralls and minor disciplines, for example. I would also consider killing risen for necro hands and harvesting graves for necro bones to be a form of treasure hunting as well. Eventually they will add the other body parts like eyes, lungs, heart and stomach. Those may drop from other mobs or be obtained in some other way. There are literal treasure chests throughout the world. They only contain food usually, and sometimes some good skins, but they can put all kinds of stuff in them if they want.

I'm not sure what you mean by summoning magic, unless you are talking about summoned pets.

There will also be more exploration stuff. They still have to expand on the cartography ideas and scouting will be a thing. There will be caravans, which will generally be more fun for most people than regular harvesting. There will be war parties that may drop cool stuff and will make the world feel more alive. There will be embargo vaults where players go to place their stuff for export. Some campaigns will have the bloodstone ruleset, which is a twist on the normal siege window gameplay. There will be farming at some point and possibly the ability to burn farms and destroy crops. There will be factories to help automate crafting so the crafters have more time to do other things. There will be relics and artifacts that may be found in the world, or there may be some other way to earn them that isn't 100% tied to winning.

There's also the sacrifice system which could be expanded upon. Todd mentioned once about how the system could potentially be expanded so that we get to sacrifice to different gods and there could be different buffs associated with those. We only have the lore sacrifice for Malekai right now and it only gives XP, but there's no reason that can't be expanded to give a buff also, or victory points, or whatever. They could also build an entire system based on the favor of the gods if they wanted to. The more you sacrifice to a particular god, the more favor your get from that god, and the more rewards. Maybe your sacrifice buffs get stronger or something. They mentioned in the livestream that there are accessory slots. Maybe that's a way to get accessories. 

There is a lot of content that they will be adding. Blair talked about this specifically in the livestream. There's also a lot that they could add by building on existing systems. I'm sure it all won't make it into launch and maybe some of this stuff will never happen, but I think people will have plenty of content by the time the game is ready for live.

@Arkade @jtoddcoleman has much experience and he knows how to create a fantasy setting so use it in his game which is not directly baased on winning or losing which is good in my opinion. And summoning magic could be a new class "summoner" school of magic - he/she could summon a minor fire or ice elemental to aid in battle or create an own system based on summon magic - communicate with other planes in the fantasy universe where elementas live. And add some mystery in the world with ancient lore - maybe some underground races who enjoy live deep in the mountains, goblins, orcs, trolls -  basically what I`m trying to say here is it need more rpg features and fantasy it attract Timmac and the community on twitch is huge around the rpg. topic 

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

On 1/11/2019 at 8:55 AM, ren said:

Excellent point. I'd like to see a promotion such as the Conqueror focus on buffing and debuffing auras.  Some of the auras could be akin those in the currently unused Troubadour disc, while others could be replicate the effects of the Pixie disc. It could be a kind of warlord/commander class.