Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lyonell

New player - old questions

Hello people!

Thanks for taking time to check this topic - I appreciate your help.

I'm a new player in Crowfall and, although I have been playing MMOs for well over a dozen of years, I find that a lot of features in this game are somewhat foreign to me. Thus, I have prepared a list of questions regarding certain mechanics of the game to better understand what it is that I've gotten myself into =)

So, here's the list:

1) After watching some youtube videos and reading some materials on wiki, I got a feeling that when you create a character and enter a server, the timer by the server states how long the campaign is going persist. What happens after? I heard some horrible things like you lose the levels you've been grinding on your character (apart from the skills you level over-time in the login screen) alongside with the gear and all talents. Is this true? Do you lose everything you've been leveling for days upon the completition of a campaign?

2) Lore-wise I'm not quite sure I understand what are the Crows and the Vessels. So, someone explained to me that each time you create your character, you don't actually make YOUR character, you merely produce a vessel that, if you die, can be stolen from you and sold or used by another player. What does this pertain? Does it mean that my character and all his stuff (xp, items) can be merely taken away by someone else? Sure does detach one from one's alter-ego.

3) Dying. I've seen that there's full-loot PVP and it's okay imo as long as gear does not play a central role in the game (and as long as it's not sold via cash-shops). But what happens next? I read somewhere that you literally have to start anew, from a scratch. Does this mean you become a lvl 1 character?

4) While I know that this game is primarily PVP focused, is there going to be any major PVE part with the Trinity of Tanking-Healing-DPS? I mean, there are Knights, Clerics, Rogues and Wizards, so I thought that maybe there's a possibility...

5) Any plans on opening SEA servers? I recently moved to China for work, and I gotta admit that playing with 200 ms with a VPN enabled sure can make certain parts of the game less-than-enjoyable.

6) Is crafting in this game absolutely unavoidable? I mean, yeah, you need to cook yourself some food, but I prefer either being in the thick of battle with a shield, or stalking a target in the shadows. Can I still be competitive even if I completely forsake crafting? On top of that I saw that you actually have to craft some of the skills for yourself. Does it mean that there's no other way of getting them?

I might come up with more question later, but for now it'll be everything. Thank you a lot for your answers!

1 hour ago, Lyonell said:

Hello people!

Thanks for taking time to check this topic - I appreciate your help.

I'm a new player in Crowfall and, although I have been playing MMOs for well over a dozen of years, I find that a lot of features in this game are somewhat foreign to me. Thus, I have prepared a list of questions regarding certain mechanics of the game to better understand what it is that I've gotten myself into =)

So, here's the list:

1) After watching some youtube videos and reading some materials on wiki, I got a feeling that when you create a character and enter a server, the timer by the server states how long the campaign is going persist. What happens after? I heard some horrible things like you lose the levels you've been grinding on your character (apart from the skills you level over-time in the login screen) alongside with the gear and all talents. Is this true? Do you lose everything you've been leveling for days upon the completition of a campaign? 
They wipe only what is in campaign inventory for the next new campaign map/build. (bank storage and character inventory). But your allowed to store (import/export) your item loot into your large "spirit bank" which would cross servers. (until they decide to reset/wipe all items and tree talents). Also make sure your equipped items you have on your character you place in your spirit bank before campaign end to transfer over to new map/build)

2) Lore-wise I'm not quite sure I understand what are the Crows and the Vessels. So, someone explained to me that each time you create your character, you don't actually make YOUR character, you merely produce a vessel that, if you die, can be stolen from you and sold or used by another player. What does this pertain? Does it mean that my character and all his stuff (xp, items) can be merely taken away by someone else? Sure does detach one from one's alter-ego. 
(Character inventory is lootable upon death (should try to place your items into your banks/spirit banks as you play). You keep your XP. Not sure about looting vessel yet as equipment you have equipped is safe from looting. but if in your inventory, then yes..)

3) Dying. I've seen that there's full-loot PVP and it's okay imo as long as gear does not play a central role in the game (and as long as it's not sold via cash-shops). But what happens next? I read somewhere that you literally have to start anew, from a scratch. Does this mean you become a lvl 1 character? 
No perma death campaign testing right now. You keep your XP, talents, and character body/vessel till next FULL wipe, (safe for at least a few campaigns). Your inventory can be sold, though again your equipped items cannot be looted

4) While I know that this game is primarily PVP focused, is there going to be any major PVE part with the Trinity of Tanking-Healing-DPS? I mean, there are Knights, Clerics, Rogues and Wizards, so I thought that maybe there's a possibility...
Yes mostly PVP focus. there are Points of Interest with PVE NPCs (spider cave right now), and Tanking/healing/DPS exists, though no taunting or in depth aggro management. More NPC areas to come.

5) Any plans on opening SEA servers? I recently moved to China for work, and I gotta admit that playing with 200 ms with a VPN enabled sure can make certain parts of the game less-than-enjoyable.
(I think there will be Singapore server, not sure. )

6) Is crafting in this game absolutely unavoidable? I mean, yeah, you need to cook yourself some food, but I prefer either being in the thick of battle with a shield, or stalking a target in the shadows. Can I still be competitive even if I completely forsake crafting? On top of that I saw that you actually have to craft some of the skills for yourself. Does it mean that there's no other way of getting them?
Well you could gank newbies with white weapons. Or buy Player vendor goods. But essentially yes, you can just play just combat, you just would need a supply guild that will equip you.. probably then give them PVP loot you obtain to create further goods for guild members.

I might come up with more question later, but for now it'll be everything. Thank you a lot for your answers!
The place for community questions is normally here
Welcome to Crowfall!

Edited by DealsTru

During this pre-release period, before the end of a campaign you move any items you want to keep out of the campaign and into your spirit bank (B key). You will not loose your vessel, your levels, or your passive trained skills due to a campaign ending. If the developers need to wipe the database for development reasons (i.e. new stuff added or rebalanced) they will reset all or part of the database. There will be a full wipe reset before the game is launched, but there will likely be many more between now & then.

You are the Crow, the spirit of a warrior favored by the gods. Vessels are bodies you may move your spirit in and out of. How that idea has actually been implemented in game has evolved over time. When you die, items in your inventory can be taken by anyone that happens to come by, but your equiped gear and your vessel cannot be taken from you.

As above, for now, there is no full loot PvP. What you are wearing is safe, what you are carrying is not. As to cash shops, Ace has been pretty to avoid even the appearance of P2W.

There will be some PvE content, but we don't have a lot of detals at this point. As to the trinity, we have tanks, healers & DPS, but the roles are not so rigid as in WoW raiding. Tanks deal damage, and healing is not as powerful, and light DPS are more like skirmishers than WoW DPS.

I can't speak to this one. I know they do intend to open more servers as the playerbase grows.

The player driven economy is central to the games design, and for now crafting is not easy to avoid but it is possible. Before the last database wipe, there were player run malls where a player could go to purchase nearly any basic gear a player might need, we now have vendors available within the campaigns to sell our goods, and any established player guild will be able to fully gear you. 

2 hours ago, Lyonell said:

I will add that the game is focused on group/guild play, not soloing. If you are trying to be a solo player, you can do it, but you will have very severe limits, and will need to trade/purchase many materials and goods, or even buy it all if you don't craft at all.

A well-run guild is sure to have dedicated harvesters and crafters and have a system to ensure everyone is eventually appropriately geared for the roles they fill.

1. Currently, when you join a campaign your character is locked to that campaign.
    At the end of the campaign, or if you unlock the character, you will lose everything on your character and in your inventory.
    The exception is your Spirit Bank that is shared between all your characters.
    Currently, the only way to keep your items is to export everything (there are some limitations) before the campaign ends to your Spirit Bank.
    Later on, winners of a campaign will have special rights to export their stuff once a campaign has concluded. This is not implemented yet. Bank space will also be reworked later.
    You never lose your character, the character's level, or skills acquired through passive training. 

2. Lore wise, you play a champion of a god that chose many lives ago to serve one of the twelves gods in exchange of eternal life.
    More bluntly, your soul is now a spirit crow taking possession of dead bodies (vessels) freshly restored through necromantic arts. You are also kind of bound to eternal servitude but we do not like to talk about it.
    During Kickstarter there were talks of stealing other player's bodies. This is no longer the case. However, vessels are crafter through alchemy, and you are welcome to steal body parts or even full vessels in other player's inventories as long as no-one activated them. Once the vessel is consumed to create a new character, it can no longer be lost or stolen.

3. Currently, there is full inventory loot, you do not lose anything equipped. However, equipped items suffer durability loss, and will eventually break. The game is very gear-centric. It is often said the game is a balance between player skill to execute your actions, knowledge to know how to counter your target, proper gear, and levels. All the gear is exclusively crafted by other players, and decent gear is very affordable.
    Later, there will be different campaigns with different rulesets. Some might have full loot, some might not have any loot at all.

4. There are classes oriented toward tanking, healing, damage, or protecting others. But besides a few PvE bosses that would require a small group to kill, do not expect anything like a Raid Group, aggro management... The only PvE we have is killing NPC guarding a fort while the other faction sleeps :P

5. I believe there might already be a SEA server, but it would be completely separated from EU/NA because of publishing rights and I would not recommend it. Try to see if you can play with or without a VPN toward one of the EU or NA servers. Hopefully, there will be a West Coast campaign at some point which would be ideal for you.

6. Crafting is necessary for the game economy and is entirely avoidable. You can either roam and hunt enemy harvesters to steal their materials, or you can specialize in a harvesting skill and sell your materials for money then buy what you need from player's shops.
    If you want to avoid trading entirely, then you must join a Guild. Many guilds will recruit pure fighters to capture objectives, defend groups, or even help a skinner kill monsters faster. They will in return provide you with gears for battle.

Edited by Gaulwa

Wow! Thank you all so much for your answers!

Well, I'm really glad that the XP and skills (and some gear) stay with your character - it truly is a relief, because I thought that this game decided to make MOBAs into MMORPG with you having to level up and gear up anew each time you enter the server.

The lore here is quite a disappointment to me, to be blunt. I created my character, this is my alter-ego, I'm not a blasted thieving magpie bent on settling down in a cadaver's carcass to chop trees, gather apples and further my own goals. It's a big no-no to me personally, since I usually dig games for their lore. But... since it's pre-alpha and a lot of things are bound to change, I hope the lore also develops a bit from this point.

Full loot except for the equipped items is quite fine. Make one play carefully and value one's life. I like that.

The absence of PVE trinity is, while troubling, is nothing to be afraid of - the game IS PVP-based after all, and it would be too naive of me to expect a need for such mechanics. As it stands now, in PVP it is logical to expect knights and champions to be in the front, while casters and archers taking the last lines. It does remind me somewhat of Warhammer Online, albeit slightly.

Thanks for the information regarding the SEA server - I've been hoping for it. Playing as an assassin atm, and I'm staying as far from PVP as possible due to constant lags.

Oh boy, so everything IS about crafting, isn't it?? Can't say I'm too happy to hear it, but then again, what other ways are there to bring people together? After all, in EVE online there's a similar system, and the game thrives. Let's hope Crowfall gets equal amount (and perhaps a bigger one) of players.

Overall, after playing this game for a bit (lvl 9), I must admit that it's pretty cool! I understand that a lot of features are bound to change and even though it's been in development for a very long time, it's better to release a solid and polished game later than predicted, rather than to push an unfinished project on the market, hoping to gain some quick cash from it.

Once again, thank you all for your answers, I truly appreciate your help!