Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheTheorex

Really crappy feel if you try to play this game solo.

Just now, namhoh said:

The only thing I would say is it sucks to not be able to make a vessel without someones help.

The entire design of the crafting system is you need help from other players, it's not just vessels. Some are a bit easier than others *for now* because you can hot-swap crafting discs so easily, but that won't always be the case. It will suck less when there's a more complete economy game wherein you'll more easily be able to buy things you can't make yourself.

21 minutes ago, namhoh said:

The only thing I would say is it sucks to not be able to make a vessel without someones help. IMO no resource should be locked to only motherloades.. i can agree to having only the higher quality resources come from it but at least let me get at most green from a solo node. I don't think its a serious issue because any solo player can farm what they can and do trades for a vessel or join a group but still would be nice if it was possible.

The entire point is that nobody can do anything by themselves; you need a team of people doing team things.  It’s a a key tenet in the fact that is even a MMO (Massivly MULTIPLAYER online).  This idea that you will be successful solo is a cancer.  You won’t be, by design, able to dominate, succeed and in some instances even compete if you’re solo.  It’s a not a moba, it’s not wow, it’s a MMORPG that’s focused on group pvp and group logistics. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

The point right now is that you need a guild but once game gets more people and campaigns last longer you can then just trade for what ever else you may need. I dont think a solo being able to make greens would make that person successful when there is still 2 higher tiers that could be locked behind motherloades. Also a game can be MULTIPLAYER without requiring people to group up.

People who choose to play unguilded can be successful, but they will be the ones who learn how to play the multiplayer game well despite not being in a guild. There's a few people I'm confident already plan to play this way.

14 hours ago, namhoh said:

The point right now is that you need a guild but once game gets more people and campaigns last longer you can then just trade for what ever else you may need. I dont think a solo being able to make greens would make that person successful when there is still 2 higher tiers that could be locked behind motherloades. Also a game can be MULTIPLAYER without requiring people to group up.

You can make green vessels as a solo player. Just buy green minerals from other players, or better yet, buy the ambrosia and philosopher's stones from other players. As we get more people and longer campaigns, and people are forced to specialize more, you will start seeing that stuff for sale. There are going to be people who specialize in alchemy and some of them will sell that stuff.

Hopefully they will allow small groups of players to be competitive or find a niche.  Subguild / allied type of thing.  EVE Alliance + Corporations.  The game as designed will favor zergs / larger guilds but there's a way to incorporate alternative playstyles (smaller group / solo) without wholesale altering that.

3 hours ago, excellz said:

Hopefully they will allow small groups of players to be competitive or find a niche.  Subguild / allied type of thing.  EVE Alliance + Corporations.  The game as designed will favor zergs / larger guilds but there's a way to incorporate alternative playstyles (smaller group / solo) without wholesale altering that.

Hopefully so, I have to deal with people all day long in real life, people are horrible, most people are self obsorbed idiots, that is society!! BUT for some really odd reason I still like been around you horrible wastes of sperm. So hopefully I will find a way around these complications in life and maybe find a small group of antisocial like minded individuals or cope on my own 🤷🏼‍♂️  Either way I look forward to dieing to you all and who knows once in a blue moon you can even be embarrassed that you were killed by Synns 😂

On 1/15/2019 at 2:18 AM, Navystylz said:

2. Well to be fair, it's not at the point where balancing is a huge priority, I don't think. They're trying to get all the base mechanics and technology in first, and then tweak numbers after. And we're lucky to be getting the ones we are like the advanced weapon fix.

4. The whole point of this game is PVP. People like you and Hamon seem to thing you can advocate PvP becoming secondary, just because they have a very robust crafting system that puts most games to shame. Games like this used to exist a lot, and then were watered down into the WoW-era trash that liked to pretend to know PvP. These guys are bringing back the roots. So stop trying to bring in this CS or Battle Royale bs.

6. There is no PvE. The extent of PvE is just the most basic monster bash for materials and leveling. There no attractions to see, no PvE events, no dungeons or raids on boss monsters. And if there ever will be, is going to be solely for PvP to happen for that special rare resource.

7. It's pre-alpha. That is the only reason you can jump back and forth so easy with no penalties. You guys are treating test mechanics as if they are LIVE mechanics. Some campaigns won't even let you import into the campaign. 

Ya, it feels very weird now while things are being built still, but the end game is that everything is PvP, promotes PvP, and PvP will protect the harvesters that are out in the dangerous world of PvP, to support MORE PvP.

All these change PvP into PvE mechanics and make PvP a sideshow from people without a K under their names just miffs tf out of me. It's cool yall threw down your $50 to try early. But many of us threw down hundreds or thousands of dollars on this game to get it started with a very specific vision of PvP incorporating elements of Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies and EVE. And if you are a kickstarter, then shame on you because you should have known that game you were backing and stop trying to turn it into instanced pvp trash you find in games like WoW.

2. OK.

4. Correct, it is about PvP.

6.  There is a massive amount of "PvE" to Crowfall.  The trick here is that far, far too much of the MMORPG community have been programmed into a box intellectually when they try to think about the E)nvironment . . . and invariably fall into a binary mental rut in regards to the idea of the E)nvironment.  When we talk Crowfall 'PvE" no one should be blindly shovelling over into that domain the same, tired, boxlike paradigms . . . that don't apply.  Because this is Crowfall, not WoW, not Archeage, Not LOTRO, etc.

Not everyone believes "PvE" is shaped like a 2 x 2 cube, and that's it.  Perhaps more intuitively, think "Open World PvP" vs "Arenas", and how you immediately feel the difference between the two in your minds-eye.

7.  I know it's pre alpha kid.  I've backed the project from the beginning, long before it's overrun in delivery date.

And as to  your last paragraph, I disagree. If you design it to produce those results, then of course yeah, that's what you are going to get.  The trick here is this is CROWFALL . . . so you need to design the ENVIRONMENT ("PvE") accordingly.

What attracted me to Crowfall was it's more (as opposed to less) insightful vision for a game.  Which was NOT to be two things:  1)  A PvE drekk-fest of grinding out quests and goods via farmville, and 2) An FPS / MOBA arena lobby game.

The original vision of the game had more going on IMO.

My opinion anyway.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

On 1/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, DocTastic said:

"4) Harvest close to a fort or keep that your faction owns and make use of the local bank often."

Personally, I disagree with this recommendation. I find those to be the most dangerous places to try and harvest because they are the most obvious landmarks on the map to check for enemies to kill, keeps also have some of the best resource tiers so again, good place to check.

I do most of my play solo 75% of the time, and do a lot of harvesting to make my own gear. I feel the better plan is to be satisfied with lower tier materials and harvest in an out of the way area that is off the beaten path and away from common hot spots.

With what we know of how the game will play today, this is the most practical/reasonable expectation or plan I've seen.

The ability for this to happen (to reasonable degree) will be, without fail, allowed or disallowed based on the SIZE and configurations of the CW worlds.

It's not uncommon (in other MMOs) to have PvP centric players turn their backs on wide-open Open PvP Zones in favor of perching at entrances to cities or zones or outposts or rezz points.  If you were to overfly the maps taking Infrared panoramic photos of the landscape, what you'd see is huge open spaces in the Open PvP areas with just a smattering of red dots, with packed red dots clustered around doorways, around rezz spots, etc.

I'm interested to see how this game play dynamic does, or does not, or to what degree and how/when occurs in Crowfall.

“Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it." - Seth Godin

On 15/01/2019 at 4:18 AM, Navystylz said:

2. Well to be fair, it's not at the point where balancing is a huge priority, I don't think. They're trying to get all the base mechanics and technology in first, and then tweak numbers after. And we're lucky to be getting the ones we are like the advanced weapon fix.

4. The whole point of this game is PVP. People like you and Hamon seem to thing you can advocate PvP becoming secondary, just because they have a very robust crafting system that puts most games to shame. Games like this used to exist a lot, and then were watered down into the WoW-era trash that liked to pretend to know PvP. These guys are bringing back the roots. So stop trying to bring in this CS or Battle Royale bs.

6. There is no PvE. The extent of PvE is just the most basic monster bash for materials and leveling. There no attractions to see, no PvE events, no dungeons or raids on boss monsters. And if there ever will be, is going to be solely for PvP to happen for that special rare resource.

7. It's pre-alpha. That is the only reason you can jump back and forth so easy with no penalties. You guys are treating test mechanics as if they are LIVE mechanics. Some campaigns won't even let you import into the campaign. 

Ya, it feels very weird now while things are being built still, but the end game is that everything is PvP, promotes PvP, and PvP will protect the harvesters that are out in the dangerous world of PvP, to support MORE PvP.

All these change PvP into PvE mechanics and make PvP a sideshow from people without a K under their names just miffs tf out of me. It's cool yall threw down your $50 to try early. But many of us threw down hundreds or thousands of dollars on this game to get it started with a very specific vision of PvP incorporating elements of Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies and EVE. And if you are a kickstarter, then shame on you because you should have known that game you were backing and stop trying to turn it into instanced pvp trash you find in games like WoW.

I think you have a very narrow view and it does not even give feedback that can really make the game great because you think CF should be an old school mmorpg and it's going to be a niche hit. You're wrong. If you think a sandbox should not have multiple styles of play in one, you do not know what sandbox is. I'll give you an example just to show how limited you are in your feedback: Ashes of Creation is a very good MMORPG that is alpha, has a battle royale mode, will have siege mode, open world PVP and very advanced PVE system. If you think that CF being a niche game is going to be a success without pleasing a really good player base is wrong.

13 minutes ago, hamon said:

I think you have a very narrow view and it does not even give feedback that can really make the game great because you think CF should be an old school mmorpg and it's going to be a niche hit. You're wrong. If you think a sandbox should not have multiple styles of play in one, you do not know what sandbox is. I'll give you an example just to show how limited you are in your feedback: Ashes of Creation is a very good MMORPG that is alpha, has a battle royale mode, will have siege mode, open world PVP and very advanced PVE system. If you think that CF being a niche game is going to be a success without pleasing a really good player base is wrong.

So the problem with you’re argument is that the RPG AOC is on a two year hold while they make their BR.  They took money from their KS for an RPG and have instead made a BR.  It’s vapor ware, it’s a scam: AoC isn’t an RPG.  Why is any that of that relevant to your malevolent posting towards CF? 

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

9 minutes ago, mandalore said:

So the problem with you’re argument is that the RPG AOC is on a two year hold while they make their BR.  They took money from their KS for an RPG and have instead made a BR.  It’s vapor ware, it’s a scam: AoC isn’t an RPG.  Why is any that of that relevant to your malevolent posting towards CF? 

You think it's a moneygrab, but they adopted BR because they need players to test the mechanics of PVP bases consistently and this is only done if the player can play solo and not be forced to form a great group like in CF. You think two years is the time to develop an MMORPG? They want to first consolidate a good playerbase to then invest in the promised PVE exactly like Epic games make with Fortnite. They are super correct and create a game mode that can attract a good playerbase and then go differing the gameplay with more e more RPG elements as they get a financial return.

Edited by hamon

25 minutes ago, hamon said:

Ashes is one of the most hated games around. it's not a good example for anything other than what not to do. 

18 minutes ago, hamon said:

Ashes of Creation is a very good MMORPG that is alpha, has a battle royale mode

Planning to have sieges, open world pvp and as you say, an advanced pve system and actually doing it are two different things. Implementing a pve system will take another 1.5 years by itself.

3 minutes ago, hamon said:

They are super correct and create a game mode that can attract a good playerbase and then go differing the gameplay as they get a financial return.

A playerbase built around BR is not the same playerbase for PVE. Once they start focusing on PVE the BR folks will get upset. 

3 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Planning to have sieges, open world pvp and as you say, an advanced pve system and actually doing it are two different things. Implementing a pve system will take another 1.5 years by itself.

A playerbase built around BR is not the same playerbase for PVE. Once they start focusing on PVE the BR folks will get upset. 

The Apocalypse mode is autonomous. In fact, they want to make a game focused on PVP and another focused on PVE similar to the game modes of Fortnite. They will try first to make the PVP mode attract many players and as it matures it will be the basis for the PVE gradually. The player will be able to play solo, in small groups, great guilds. Anyway, I think CF needs to have a great versatility and having a minimalist and closed vision will end up making the entire project not successful.

38 minutes ago, hamon said:

You think it's a moneygrab, but they adopted BR because they need players to test the mechanics of PVP bases consistently and this is only done if the player can play solo and not be forced to form a great group like in CF. You think two years is the time to develop an MMORPG? They want to first consolidate a good playerbase to then invest in the promised PVE exactly like Epic games make with Fortnite. They are super correct and create a game mode that can attract a good playerbase and then go differing the gameplay with more e more RPG elements as they get a financial return.

You’re not listening.  The BR aspect is the game they are making now.  They plan on it taking two years.  I’m an investor there in the KS like I was for CF.  The RPG AoC is making is on hold for two years; it’s not expected done in two years they are expected to resume work on the rpg in two years.  

They took millions of dollars for an investment into an RPG and have instead made a different game.  That’s why so many people are upset with AoC.  Go pander somewhere else bromego. 

wiDfyPp.png

56 minutes ago, hamon said:

Crowfall is not a sandbox. "Sandbox" is a meaningless term like most game buzz words that have a million different definitions.

Crowfall does and will have multiple styles of play. However, much revolves around the social/team aspect of play. Being 100% solo in such a game is not the main design, however that doesn't stop individuals or small groups from working with what will be available.

AoC is not a very good MMO as it doesn't exist yet. The design concepts, MMO stuff they've shown, and Apoc so far have been pretty decent and I don't regret backing them for a decent amount.

However, until they actually bring all the good ideas to reality, it's no different than Crowfall, hype.

37 minutes ago, hamon said:

No one is forced to do anything in video games, if people feel forced, simply don't participate. If you know the design you either accept it or don't, you can not be forced to play something you don't want to.

So far ACE seems to be doing fine gathering data for development with the system in place. No clue if it would have gone smoother/faster if done another way, but is what it is.

What works for one product in development has zero to do with another. I am impressed with AoC's Apoc performance and overall development of AoC, but they are a different team with different experience, funding, resources, etc.

Eventually both will release in some form and will be fun or not. I backed both and will play whatever does it better for me.

45 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I backed before BR existed but still have enjoyed it for what it is. They haven't stopped focusing on PVE. If in the long run it makes for a better MMO, I don't care how they go about testing/implementing things nor bringing in funding. Much like ACE and CF, I don't see them launching AoC as quickly as initially hyped. Those upset will be okay regardless of what happens.

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

21 minutes ago, mandalore said:

You’re not listening.  The BR aspect is the game they are making now.  They plan on it taking two years.  I’m an investor there in the KS like I was for CF.  The RPG AoC is making is on hold for two years; it’s not expected done in two years they are expected to resume work on the rpg in two years.  

They took millions of dollars for an investment into an RPG and have instead made a different game.  That’s why so many people are upset with AoC.  Go pander somewhere else bromego. 

Where did they say things were on hold for 2 years? I don't follow too closely, but must of missed it.

Although, last week they said Alpha 1 should start around ~June, MMO development is active, and they plan to have a decent amount available come Alpha 1.

I don't see Apoc to be much different than Hunger Dome or Crowfall testing as a whole. Intrepid is just capitalizing on BR popularity and how relatively easy it is to make something playable and profitable while still making the larger game that will incorporate most of what the BR/Siege/Horde has.

Neither development model is likely ideal, but due to how crowdfunding works, they have to attempt to make backers happy, offer something playable, and attempt to find other avenues for cash as well. Hello ACE making another team and spending resources to sell their engine or whatever.

Funny that this topic was a 1st post from an account made this week. So easy to ruffle gamer feathers.

man it's been a while since I've posted but just to join in on this: 

As long term goal you are bound to form and rely on connections. 

Joining a guild decreases the effort a bit in terms that you contribute to a group and get something back. Playing Solo requires more effort in the social area but less consistency in a way. Either way they both require you to put effort into certain aspects of social structures. 

Playing completly solo on a somewhat medicore level of success is impossible. I always add people to friendlists when I see them doing their job properly. After some time dungeon runs more or less become a ground work for either forming a guild or a more stable party setup. Not going to be the case here but I guess something similar will happen. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor