Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xary

Thoughts and Ideas on Faction Play

Just one crows opinion. Not trying to say anything negative about the current game.

The game is shaping up very nicely and I am enjoying the pvp when found outside of timed siege play. Here are a few items that I feel could enhance specifically Faction play. Most of this has been done in DAOC which is where my main experience comes from. Again this is just my thoughts. They may have addressed all of this to everyone’s satisfaction already. If so. Great!

1)      One thing that made RvR great was ‘Realm Pride’. The idea that Midgard, Albion or Hibernia were the mortal enemy. They weren’t your friends, pals, compadres. They wanted to harm you. The phrase “RED IS DEAD” was popular in the beginning. I’d like to see a reason to play one faction over the other. What makes Chaos unique? Order? Balance? (I’m not good with actual suggestions) Perhaps a specific Realm ability? Item? Look? Buff? Something that sets them apart and obviously not game breaking.

2)      Unique classes. I don’t feel anyone has ever come close to matching the true diversity DAOC provided. However, this all goes back to point #1. Something that makes them unique is needed. I know they are not going to change the design to add faction only classes. Here’s hoping that the discipline system will come close to making them unique. I have my doubts.

3)      Unique fort design? Keep design? Besides just copy and paste and then slapping a banner on something make it unique. I believe I did see something from a while ago that eluded to this. Make areas unique to the factions as they claim areas, towers, camps, forts and keeps.

4)      When a keep is claimed by a guild/faction. A warning of being attacked would be nice. A number of attackers would be even better. This was done many years ago so I imagine they have the tech to handle this one. This I feel would help drive PvP. Of course, making keeps worth protecting would have to be addressed.

5)      I always enjoyed the keep sieges in DAOC. Everyone had a role. You were forced to go thru the gates. Stealthers and eventually with ladders tanks were able to climb walls at specific spots thus making defending those spots very important.

6)      In DAOC you would get realm ranks as you pvp’d. In that game it would give a bit of extra dex, con, strength and a few abilities. I feel allowing us to get something for kills would be great besides the chance of loot. Then again once spirit bank is gone maybe that’s all that’s needed.

Anyways just had a minute so these items came to mind among many others. I’m sure others have far better ideas. I just really enjoyed the RvR of DAOC and it seems to fit nicely with the nature of Faction play.  Your thoughts?

4 minutes ago, xary said:

Just one crows opinion. Not trying to say anything negative about the current game.

The game is shaping up very nicely and I am enjoying the pvp when found outside of timed siege play. Here are a few items that I feel could enhance specifically Faction play. Most of this has been done in DAOC which is where my main experience comes from. Again this is just my thoughts. They may have addressed all of this to everyone’s satisfaction already. If so. Great!

1)      One thing that made RvR great was ‘Realm Pride’. The idea that Midgard, Albion or Hibernia were the mortal enemy. They weren’t your friends, pals, compadres. They wanted to harm you. The phrase “RED IS DEAD” was popular in the beginning. I’d like to see a reason to play one faction over the other. What makes Chaos unique? Order? Balance? (I’m not good with actual suggestions) Perhaps a specific Realm ability? Item? Look? Buff? Something that sets them apart and obviously not game breaking.

2)      Unique classes. I don’t feel anyone has ever come close to matching the true diversity DAOC provided. However, this all goes back to point #1. Something that makes them unique is needed. I know they are not going to change the design to add faction only classes. Here’s hoping that the discipline system will come close to making them unique. I have my doubts.

3)      Unique fort design? Keep design? Besides just copy and paste and then slapping a banner on something make it unique. I believe I did see something from a while ago that eluded to this. Make areas unique to the factions as they claim areas, towers, camps, forts and keeps.

4)      When a keep is claimed by a guild/faction. A warning of being attacked would be nice. A number of attackers would be even better. This was done many years ago so I imagine they have the tech to handle this one. This I feel would help drive PvP. Of course, making keeps worth protecting would have to be addressed.

5)      I always enjoyed the keep sieges in DAOC. Everyone had a role. You were forced to go thru the gates. Stealthers and eventually with ladders tanks were able to climb walls at specific spots thus making defending those spots very important.

6)      In DAOC you would get realm ranks as you pvp’d. In that game it would give a bit of extra dex, con, strength and a few abilities. I feel allowing us to get something for kills would be great besides the chance of loot. Then again once spirit bank is gone maybe that’s all that’s needed.

Anyways just had a minute so these items came to mind among many others. I’m sure others have far better ideas. I just really enjoyed the RvR of DAOC and it seems to fit nicely with the nature of Faction play.  Your thoughts?

1. They would be either homogenized or such they made one faction more appealing than others. 

2. Compared to what? There were games even in DAoC's time that offered very diverse build system. Sure, after that it was here is your class--bye. From WoW era games. 

3. Agreed. Though will be more a product of GVG and othes campaign styles. At least until base resources are in and those who will keep playing factions will need some love. Doubt we'd see that for alpha testing. 

4. We've asked for this a lot. If we're lucky it might be included with the capture points update. 

5. This as well. I imagine that siege disciplines which will flesh this out more when other comes and what we have are refined. But already certain classes off ways in now. Imagine sapper and saboteur runes.

6. No to stats. The point is not to widen the gap between Victor's and runner ups. You when SB is fixed you will get more loot, but the campaign winning will have other cosmetic rewards and special recipes already. It's just we are still in pre-alpha and they're not a system yet. 

Right now major balancing and minute details are on back burner while they finish putting major systems in they had planned to be a launch state game. We tend to forget it's pre-alpha testing. At least until the lag hits. 

28 minutes ago, Navystylz said:

2. Compared to what? There were games even in DAoC's time that offered very diverse build system. Sure, after that it was here is your class--bye. From WoW era games. 

I was really going off the basis of each realm had a different class that was not available to the other realm, though abilities were there. For example, (Minstrel, Skald, Bard). All of those three provided speed and forms of mez and stun but played very different.Today it doesn't matter what side, faction you are on. A Champion is a champion. Hopefully the discs will help with that.

20 hours ago, xary said:

They also need to give them incentives to claim keeps/forts. Displaying a faction banner AND a guild banner with the guild's crest would encourage some to take them just to so they can fly their flag so to speak. 

But why not give bonus points to score when killing enemies near the claimed fort?

Maybe something to give bonus to AP or defensive stats. A bonus for harvesting nodes that are close to keep? There are a lot of things they could implement. Just copying DAOC's system wouldn't be a bad thing. It worked. And guilds often tried harder to defend stuff when they had it claimed.

Original poster is EXACTLY right.

Without some form or realm differences or unique structures etc...Its absolutely pointless.  Its a broken system to somehow try to 'control' random ganking.  As it stands right now you just stare at the emblem, click one and hope its on the "balanced' side of things number wise.  

I'm gonna say it again and again and hope the devs are listening.  Right now we have a crafting simulator that in no way shape or form gives reason to war.  You have areas being named after "people" that completely remove any type of LORE which is desperately needed. Race/classes that have nothing unique. Pads we stand on to somehow 'capture' and thats supposed to be fun.  NOTHING NEW SO FAR IS IN CROWFALL, -NOTHING.

As for you being scared to post anything "negative" about the game, I cant blame you.  I'm not scared of the devs as I feel they WANT open feedback. (heck its on the log-out screen everytime you log out of the game)  But I do see your fear as 70% of these remaining testers are either fanboi's or CRAFTERS.

I've got my fingers crossed and Todd is my favorite Dev/creator of all time.  But this game needs to make some serious serious hard right turns if its truely going to capture us old PvPers.

What happen to the pvp for pvp sake? Faction play should absolutely work in Crowfall. A few changes are needed as mentioned above or at least a few of those changes. In DAOC once you had your items crafted you went to RvR. There was no down time (beyond getting your character leveled and geared). It was quick to try a new class if needed, gear it out and do what the game was designed to do. PVP!

DAOC launched almost 18 years ago and it is still going strong. The Phoenix Freeshard for example is getting 3000 concurrent player per day playing. Why should that be any different in CF? I'm not talking Dregs ruleset here just talking Faction play. Maybe the devs should of never done Faction play and stuck with Dregs. Would of been easier. Big barren boring landscape - check, ability to throw down big boring buildings - check, let guilds kill each other - check

Game Server: Up 
Albion: 1019 Midgard: 1190 Hibernia: 1094

How nice it would be to see those numbers. Yeah I know Pre-Alpha.