Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Path to Alpha - Official discussion thread

I explicitly like the point of the company clearly mentioning that there will have to be cutbacks from the original vision, if the game should be published within a timely manner. I always dislike if people/companies say they can do it ... and then they don't.

Providing and establishing open communication is important in community-driven games and companies. It's the right thing to do. It may not always be what we want to hear. But it is what we need to hear. I can only hope that most of us heard it - and that those who didn't, will be told so by those who listened now. Anyways, in the end you will be able to say "we told you so". In my opinion, it was the right thing and the right time. So, thanks for that.

I understand that there may be things that don't make it in by launch. Todd mentioned taming during the livestream as an example. If we can still have pets, I'm not overly concerned that the taming mechanic has to wait unto post launch. That said, the list of things I think this game can launch without is pretty small.

I think we can launch without the Infected and Shadow bands, and I think we can wait for the Bloodstone ruleset as well. These are just variations on the existing game that won't make or break the game at launch. Farming can probably wait as we have other ways to get food and those can modified to provide more food until farming comes online. Relics and artifacts can possibly wait too.

Crafting needs to be completed, including the projects interface, factories, recipe drops and thrall capture and use mechanics.

Caravans need to be added, and therefore, pets and mounts.

Obviously the frostweaver has to be added, and there needs to be an evaluation of all classes, disciplines, abilities, passives and armors, not just for balance purposes, but to ensure that each class and promotion is able to fulfill its intended role.

The Embargo system needs to be fully functioning.

POIs need to be completed. I like the idea of materials from POIs being able to be broken down into resources and used for crafting, though they should only provide common quality resources, and the POI output should be affected by the seasons. This will put less of a burden on people to harvest unless they want the higher quality stuff.

Obviously the war tribes are being added, but we need more boss mobs and other types of mobs. We still have yet to see the Bog Bear, Giant, Wyvern, Gryphon or Urgu. If adventure areas are being designed with any of these mobs in mind, similar to the spider canyons, then that will need to be developed as well.

I think the Sentinels need to be added, more to improve the new player experience than anything else.

Exploration stuff like tracking and cartography. Exploration needs to be more than just harvesting.

Different biomes, completing all the parcels and buildings like the fallen colossus and the castle. The number of distinct biomes may be limited, but we do know they were working on a desert biome, so having at least a couple different ones will be good. More can always be added post launch. If the relics and artifacts aren't in for launch, then having the buildings that they are to be placed in is less of a necessity.

And, maybe most importantly, performance has to be improved. Hopefully 5.9 will be a major step up, but I'm sure this is something that will be ongoing up to and beyond soft launch.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but I'm hoping that a good amount of these things will be in for alpha. If all of that is in for launch and the throne war gameplay works in both 3 faction and dregs over the course of 3-6 month campaigns, I think we'll be fine.

1 minute ago, Darguth said:

What is this projects interface you speak of?

It's the new crafting UI. They showed it off in an article or video, I don't remember exactly when. They were hoping to get it into 5.8, but it didn't make it. 

Basically, instead of having separate recipes for every subcomponent and having to switch around between them, you would have a recipe for a Mace, and the recipe would take you through all the steps, including the subcomponents, until you get to the finished product.

If I can find where they talked about it, I'll link it.

26 minutes ago, Arkade said:

I think we can launch without the Infected and Shadow bands, and I think we can wait for the Bloodstone ruleset as well. These are just variations on the existing game that won't make or break the game at launch. Farming can probably wait as we have other ways to get food and those can modified to provide more food until farming comes online. Relics and artifacts can possibly wait too.

Different biomes, completing all the parcels and buildings like the fallen colossus and the castle. The number of distinct biomes may be limited, but we do know they were working on a desert biome, so having at least a couple different ones will be good. More can always be added post launch.

Both of these points have already been pushed to post launch.  I'm fairly certain the other rule sets (not dregs or 3 faction) are just scrapped.  Desert will be post launch.  He wants one as close to perfect biome for release and will do more post launch. 

15 minutes ago, Arkade said:

It's the new crafting UI. They showed it off in an article or video, I don't remember exactly when. They were hoping to get it into 5.8, but it didn't make it. 

Basically, instead of having separate recipes for every subcomponent and having to switch around between them, you would have a recipe for a Mace, and the recipe would take you through all the steps, including the subcomponents, until you get to the finished product.

If I can find where they talked about it, I'll link it.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping you were referring to but I didn't realize that was actually in the works, more just a hope and a prayer. Would love to see the video or wherever it was showed off if you do happen to find it.

Any word on wipes, imports/exports, or using current characters in the Sanctioned Campaigns yet? If there won't be a wipe it would be nice to know now so we can be ready. I don't want to start mobilizing my guild only for everything to get wiped or unable to be used in the Sanctioned Campaigns. Most of us are trying to avoid playing too much before then to avoid burnout before (or shortly after) launch so I don't want to get people in if they don't need to be playing yet.

Just now, mandalore said:

Both of these points have already been pushed to post launch.  I'm fairly certain the other rule sets (not dregs or 3 faction) are just scrapped.  Desert will be post launch.  He wants one as close to perfect biome for release and will do more post launch. 

I definitely do not feel additional biomes are a requirement. Would it be nice to have some terrain variety? Sure, of course but I could live without it. But that's the definition of "nice to have".

Just now, Darguth said:

I definitely do not feel additional biomes are a requirement. Would it be nice to have some terrain variety? Sure, of course but I could live without it. But that's the definition of "nice to have".

I agree but was just trying to clear things up for @Arkade

16 minutes ago, Darguth said:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping you were referring to but I didn't realize that was actually in the works, more just a hope and a prayer. Would love to see the video or wherever it was showed off if you do happen to find it.

Yeah, I looked, but couldn't find it. I know I saw a screenshot or video of it, pretty sure it was in a video actually, but no luck in my search.

In this video, at about 6:10, Blair talks about how the new UI didn't make it into 5.8: