Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
squarll

Why should i bother to play in alpha?

Ok here we go...

So i login and i want to do some pvp

Ok so first thing i must grind rocks and trees and make some stupid item so i can fast track to lvl 30 (done) ok i am ready ? no no no

you must now grind either gold or necromancy to make a new char that i also have to lvl to 30...(ok Done) now i am ready? nope

you must now grind weapons and armor and then you might be ready for a fair fight.

Don't get me wrong that in the full game i totaly expect that people who spend alot of time playing the game will be stronger than me gear and experiance wise

But this is pre-alpha ffs and yes you can go on the test server but come on who wants to play there ?

And yes you could say JOIN a GUILD well i dont want to

also if this game was fun to play then where are the 50k backers for this game? I am not talking 500 or 5000 it's 50,000 and at best (even when it's the start of a new campaign) on EU peek time you get 150 lol 150 that must tell you all you need to know about the state of this game.

Devs if you want to advertise this game over the next year the best way you could do that is to make the alpha FUN!  I log in and think f... that its far to much work to catch up when my stuff will be wiped at some point.

I bet alot of players download this and think f... it i will just wait until launch and start there, grinding to test a game.....no thanks

ok so ignore the vessels part

So all i need to do is farm green mats in a pvp zone and not be killed by the gankers that are bored that there is no pvp and will kill anybody on site and take your stuff?

that sounds great to me...

Edited by squarll

In the next patch they are lowering the power of advanced weapons so that people dont feel like they have to be in advanced to compete. The other reason they are doing this is because runic weapons will be in the game and that will be above advanced. Everyone has to go to pvp zones and risk getting ganked to gather mats. The game will be no different in alpha, beta or release. It is a pvp game and ganking gatherers is a strategy and part of the game. The game is meant to play in groups but you can easily play solo. I played solo for over a year and just recently joined a guild, but i had no trouble playing solo. Anyone can manage to gather enough mats for advanced gear in 1 day as long as its spring. The whole group play is meant to be like this, Gatherers provide mats for crafters, crafters provide gear for pvpers, pvpers provide protection for gatherers. As i said earlier, everyone has to go through the same process as you. You eventually learn to be more cautious while gathering and when to bank as to not lose as much mats. Also if it is that big of a problem for you, you  could always gather as a stealth class so that you are a lot more safe.

The game has a steep learning curve and the new player experience is not there atm. If there is anything i can do to help let me know. im on na balance and i also stream to help new players learn. Hope you figure out the best way for you though.

What i am trying to say is if you make testing the game a grind then you will limit the amount of people willing to test and this shows by the amount of players even in spring,

I backed this for the pvp side of things so i will just wait until launch and see how it turns out.

1 hour ago, squarll said:

What i am trying to say is if you make testing the game a grind then you will limit the amount of people willing to test and this shows by the amount of players even in spring,

I backed this for the pvp side of things so i will just wait until launch and see how it turns out.

Trust me, all of the meaningful testing is being done by the main organized guilds as part of their theory-crafting and innate competitiveness, as they have been doing continuously for years now. This game doesn't need more testers it needs more devs to fix all the bugs we've found.

Edited by DocDoom

34 minutes ago, squarll said:

If you have to survey the testing group for reasons to test then you’re probably not a good tester.  We are here to break the game.  Find exploits.  Cheat and have it fixed.  Report back what works and what doesn’t.  You’re not playing an alpha, you’re testing it. 

1 hour ago, veeshan said:

All you realy need is green weapons and armor tbh. vessels dont do a whole lot tbh in comparison to gear.

That's kind of the issue to be honest. New players can get advanced white weapons and armor easily ... good quality green gear won't happen for a long while.

I've never bought into lowering advanced weapons so they are closer to intermediate weapons ... the difference between a non gimped green weapon (or armor) and a "good" white weapon/armor (and let's not talk about blue) is a way bigger issue if you ask me.

Now, I understand that there need to be a difference between white/green/blue to give an incensive to harvest quality materials (and yeah there is a huge difference between farming white, green or blue materials) but the fact that you need green weapons AND armor to be able to stand your ground is a big problem for the new player experience if you ask me so I kinda undestand where the OP comes from.

And while I do agree that new players aren't as useful as the big guilds for testing pre-alpha, we still need frest blood for plenty of reasons (server stability for example) and the bad press that comes with bad new player experience is also something to consider.

Missing the multiple campaign solution here...   at launch new players will have campaigns of their own with the r1 through r5 harvesting nodes for green mats but nothing higher....   thus, other than twinks for fun, better geared players will not be in the campaign...   they will be in the dregs world with end game materials.

2 hours ago, squarll said:

Ok here we go...

Ok so first thing i must grind rocks and trees and make some stupid item so i can fast track to lvl 30 (done) ok i am ready ? no no no

you must now grind either gold or necromancy to make a new char that i also have to lvl to 30...(ok Done) now i am ready? nope

you must now grind weapons and armor and then you might be ready for a fair fight.

Don't get me wrong that in the full game i totaly expect that people who spend alot of time playing the game will be stronger than me gear and experiance wise

But this is pre-alpha ffs and yes you can go on the test server but come on who wants to play there ?

also if this game was fun to play then where are the 50k backers for this game? I am not talking 500 or 5000 it's 50,000 and at best (even when it's the start of a new campaign) on EU peek time you get 150 lol 150 that must tell you all you need to know about the state of this game.

Devs if you want to advertise this game over the next year the best way you could do that is to make the alpha FUN!  I log in and think f... that its far to much work to catch up when my stuff will be wiped at some point.

I bet alot of players download this and think f... it i will just wait until launch and start there, grinding to test a game.....no thanks

It actually tells you that the game is still in pre-alpha by industry standards and would have zero players or testing yet if it was coming from an AAA studio.   Most players never see a game until Beta.    If the Beta active player count were 150 then, yes, would be a concern but not at this point.   The sky is not falling chicken little...

Edited by Frykka

2 hours ago, squarll said:

Ok here we go...

Was there really a need to post this when you already came to this conclusion?

If you do not enjoy testing pre-alpha, don't play it. wait till a better version comes out. They are not trying to make it fun yet. They are trying to make it work. Do not ask them to make things easier for new players for the sake of fun in pre-alpha. They need to ensure core mechanics are working and tested. Heck, I would prefer they fix performance over you farming things easier so you can do things quicker.

this isn't even an alpha issue. It's an overall issue. Games like this won't work anymore, yeah sure everyone in community cries for crafting and stuff, but 30 active players atm on Eu-Server tells the real story. People don't want to craft, they want to play, regardless of alpha, beta or release and regardless of what some people in the public community say.

27 minutes ago, kim-lee said:

this isn't even an alpha issue. It's an overall issue. Games like this won't work anymore, yeah sure everyone in community cries for crafting and stuff, but 30 active players atm on Eu-Server tells the real story. People don't want to craft, they want to play, regardless of alpha, beta or release and regardless of what some people in the public community say.

No, the real story is that none of it matters yet. We have win conditions, but no reason to care about winning or losing. Population numbers ARE up though, and will continue to increase as more of the game comes online. There are plenty of people who want to craft, myself included, but not everyone enjoys testing, and that's what we are doing.

21 minutes ago, Arkade said:

No, the real story is that none of it matters yet. We have win conditions, but no reason to care about winning or losing. Population numbers ARE up though, and will continue to increase as more of the game comes online. There are plenty of people who want to craft, myself included, but not everyone enjoys testing, and that's what we are doing.

if crafting affects multiplayer performance "normal" people won't play multiplayer, so the game will die because it kills itself by hardcore players protecting their "cafting" privilege. 

1 hour ago, kim-lee said:

if crafting affects multiplayer performance "normal" people won't play multiplayer, so the game will die because it kills itself by hardcore players protecting their "cafting" privilege. 

I think you are in the wrong room, in the wrong game, and have the wrong idea of what we are building here.   It is that simple.

3 hours ago, kim-lee said:

Are you sure you read up about the game you backed?  What do you think CF has always been?  With the devs involved what the custard did you think CF was going to be?  

well kind of, I like mage non fps game, RvR also is nice. But crafting, leveling, skill-points are terrible, they will destroy this game although the rest might be nice.

19 minutes ago, kim-lee said:

well kind of, I like mage non fps game, RvR also is nice. But crafting, leveling, skill-points are terrible, they will destroy this game although the rest might be nice.

You don’t understand the game you backed. 

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

You don’t understand the game you backed. 

you don't understand the reason why I'm discussing this issue. I don't want to bother anyone, I want to improve this game and make it successful.