Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZYBAK

Giving Outposts Area Wide Buffs

Right now taking and holding outposts is very lackluster. It's boring and usually something people dread doing primarily because there's no reason to grab them other than "points".

- If you're a PvPer and you're not in the race to win then there's no point in even bothering with them.

- For harvesters they don't get any benefit whatsoever.

If you guys gave something like a 5% damage buff for having a nearby Outpost and an extra plentiful harvesting point and extra harvesting critical chance it would really incentivize people to want to grab them for reasons outside of points. 

- It would add some tactics to taking points on the map. Maybe you want to grab the 2 nearby outposts for a 10% damage buff before trying to take a fort. If you're planning on doing a motherload run you'd want to grab nearby objectives first for the buffs and a fallback point. Overlapping buffs might be too much but maybe there could be a limit to how many stacks you could have.

@jtoddcoleman@Tyrant@thomasblair

Edited by ZYBAK

Yes taking outposts is like doing daily quest with no reward. It is not fun with no reward. Giving rewards to taking outpost is something that has to happen, because spending that much time for such little reward just feels bad. A lot of us are feeling burnt out already from trying to take so many outposts.

You're spot on.  Outposts equate to nearly 50% of the available points in a campaign.  They cannot be ignored and they are super tedious and unfun to gather/keep/retake.  I'd rather smash my toe with a hammer than have to go out and clean up 30-50 outposts.

Couldn't agree with this idea more. It is also in alignment with what the devs have previously said they'd like to do by offering area bonuses. 

I will tell you, i miss the days in Shadowbane when i knew i was strictly in enemy territory but i had to be there to get certain items.

In the last interview that was the part that excited me the most, when they discussed adding Disciplines to the loot table, and making some of them more rare than others. Add in a few other types of things outside of disciplines please, because that's not enough in my humble opinion. 

We need items in the loot table that drive teamwork (Hard NPCs to kill, that spawn at certain times, that owning the area they spawn in allows for you to loot?)

The above suggestion creates some nice spice to the area ownership piece.

Thanks!

It's one of the best ideas that I read about in the last days. We really miss some additional reasones/benefits that would make it worth to spend time (quite a lot of it if you're doing it alone or in pairs) to take over hostile outpost. I think it would be nice to make outposts to have areas of influence like provinces in countries and having our fraction holding such outpost would make us to get more/better resources in the province and some minor pvp buff. That might make a fraction fights even more interesting because each side would like to bait enemy into their province etc. and harvesters would love to hold the outposts for their own purpose as well.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps an health regain buffer should be more "in lore" than an attack buffer. 

However knowing developers are at work to address this matter, I'd wait to see if the solutions they are implementing need other mechanics or not. 

Edited by Pann
Removed off-topic comment

You could also have the outposts give you 10 or 20 random material of a random color. This would also give players the ability to farm resources  without actually farming them as well.

In one of the other posts on this topic, there was also a suggestion that the outposts link to each other in a way that creates solid territorial lines for fighting.  Ie., think about each series of outposts as creating triangles with each other, that reinforce one another.  That way, the outposts in the back of the lines can't be backcapped and it forces fighting over outposts into known areas.  Not sure I love this idea, but if they are going to have SO many outposts in the world map, it makes defending / taking them much more interesting.

If someone can link back to that thread (I can't find it) the visual makes more sense.

Combine that kind of territorial linking system with a buff/bonus/purpose to the outposts themselves and you start to have an interesting system that both creates interesting, dynamic PvP, and a goal to the system to encourage the conflict.

I'm kinda with Rik, they have already acknowledged all of the boringness, lets see what they have in mind first since they will also be addressing both Fort and Keep balance/fun/viability. I think anyone will agree with some more engaging gameplay on outposts though, especially since Forts will eventually be balanced one day and you ideally won't be able to just duo them while empty. Outposts are the logical small group PvP-related activity. 

Edited by Pann

I agree with this idea. :)

Even better if the small bonus is plussed up a little for each adjacent camp/outpost/fort/keep also held.

Edited by Pann

cant even defend them either cause if u defend it they just go back cap another one else where, you can either play the endless cat and mouse making no progress or keep capping at the same rate they are aswell making no progress -.-
WTB territory system to put a halt to back capping :( its boring without it and would atleast make thing where your able to defend you front line of outposts :(

7 hours ago, excellz said:

In one of the other posts on this topic, there was also a suggestion that the outposts link to each other in a way that creates solid territorial lines for fighting.  Ie., think about each series of outposts as creating triangles with each other, that reinforce one another.  That way, the outposts in the back of the lines can't be backcapped and it forces fighting over outposts into known areas.  Not sure I love this idea, but if they are going to have SO many outposts in the world map, it makes defending / taking them much more interesting.

I like this idea quite a lot with one small change. Outposts and campires behind the territorial line would autoflip back after 24-48 hours from time of conquer if they are still isolated way behind the lines. This way players wouldn't be forced to constantly flip outlying outposts in the back end of the realm. Would help concentrate players in conflict for territory.  This would also give smaller groups of 2-3 , and even those running solo a way to really effect the war since they can see the fruits of the labor in the form of the map territorial lines.

1 hour ago, veeshan said:

cant even defend them either cause if u defend it they just go back cap another one else where, you can either play the endless cat and mouse making no progress or keep capping at the same rate they are aswell making no progress -.-
WTB territory system to put a halt to back capping :( its boring without it and would atleast make thing where your able to defend you front line of outposts :(

Idk what a territory system entails but I like the sound of ending back capping. Maybe a 30min or hour timer before it can be capped again.

Found the thread where @veeshan detailed the system I was describing, it's worth a read:

Also an idea on full zone control buffs (also an interesting idea):

All of these ideas are great ideas (including the idea in this thread) to make the zones more dynamic, engaging, and rewarding to fight over.  Hopefully devs are thinking of some of it.

I really like Veeshan's idea + the idea of outpost specific buffs.  

Adding to the ideas...

Once we have NPC factions and roaming mobs, the outposts could could notify their faction of events within their patrol area. Possibly even limited intel on enemy player movements?

Too many ways to get Plentiful as is... wont be long before there's no reason for a harvester to cap out their training. Maybe 5% crit harvest chance? Tool life bonus?

11 minutes ago, VaMei said:

Adding to the ideas...

Once we have NPC factions and roaming mobs, the outposts could could notify their faction of events within their patrol area. Possibly even limited intel on enemy player movements?

Too many ways to get Plentiful as is... wont be long before there's no reason for a harvester to cap out their training. Maybe 5% crit harvest chance? Tool life bonus?

Unsure of what tracking will look like ... but if it's awareness of hostile players on the Compass, and Outposts makes that information more detailed, accurate, or with greater distance - etc - that's a GREAT reason to take outposts :P