Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ilogos

Long Campaign - Thoughts?

Thoughts for a Long campaign

The campaign starts with no import, no export, no spirit bank, common vessels only.

The seasons continue to cycle instead of the campaign ending in Winter  (  Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, and back to Spring, and so forth. )

Capturing is still made relevant because at the end of Winter the faction with the most points is allowed limited import and export (Spirit Bank is made available). 

PvP is still made relevant because those with the highest scores (also at the end of Winter) are allowed additional import and export, and possibly a unique crafting material or title. 

Additional Side Notes:

- I predict the cycle of seasons (i.e. a year in game) will take two weeks irl.

- A unique crafting material can be made as an incentive for winning the "year" or PvP which cannot be imported or exported. This would be required for uniquely crafted items that could then be imported and exported. In my opinion this would boost the market to allow for more trade of these rare commodities that are only available in the campaign.

- It may be necessary to only allow one vessel to be locked into the long campaign from an account. I feel like this is necessary to prevent people from abusing the import / export incentive at the end of the season cycle. 

- It may be necessary to restrict the awards to vessels that were in the Campaign for several in-game days (to prevent late joiners and leavers).

- I prefer a longer Campaign than a multitude of short campaigns because of the long term impact of the economy and faction vs faction PvP. 

Edited by ilogos

24 minutes ago, Navystylz said:

Sounds interesting, but they'd have to change their lore. The worlds are on the brink of destruction, and once winter comes, the world will die. 

Oh man! That sounds terrible... That many Gods and they can't keep the world from destroying itself? Maybe they wouldn't need to adjust the lore, but maybe have a joint effort between factions to prevent winter from blanketing the world (e.g. destroying giant hunger shards).

Edit: looking at the lore, maybe the wyrm eternal as a winter pve boss would be an option. I know it's not a pve game, but that would certainly cause a lot of pvp as well.

Edited by ilogos

shortly: longer campaign  is boring.

expanded: winter is longer. winter = zero online.

they should do something with the winter period. spring/summer = every nolifers/unemployed players gathering in morning period or on the server with no prime time. for working players there is only one period -> prime time which is full of gankers on the spring. 

this happened mostly with eu server. where is nothing to do on except crazy gathering (if you have a group) to craft better gear (coz this game is about disbalance, bugs and gear based the facto) which is even more boring imo at the current stage of the game.

the truth.

I think the worlds should die fast and crows need run to another world and another and another... The campaign itself should last for weeks or months. In my opinion, a new world should be a race for survival with the player being pressured to fight all the time for the resources. Long campaigns and long worlds only encourage stagnation because this does not create a sense of competition. You know that your impact on the world will be insignificant if you can not stay 10 hours a day online. Most players are over the age of 20 and have out-of-game responsibilities. We want to stay a few hours online and make our PVP happy hour and not make the game a job.

Edited by hamon

3 hours ago, hamon said:

I think the worlds should die fast and crows need run to another world and another and another... The campaign itself should last for weeks or months. In my opinion, a new world should be a race for survival with the player being pressured to fight all the time for the resources. Long campaigns and long worlds only encourage stagnation because this does not create a sense of competition. You know that your impact on the world will be insignificant if you can not stay 10 hours a day online. Most players are over the age of 20 and have out-of-game responsibilities. We want to stay a few hours online and make our PVP happy hour and not make the game a job.

Thankfully you can play on your weeks long CW's and the SB players can recreate Mourning/Entropy Sb servers till our last days. 

I love the seasons cycle. It's true that winter used to be low pop, but after the changes to points there's been a lot more pvp during winter, even in the middle of the night. The campaigns we're playing are just for bragging rights at the moment, imagine how much more important winning a campaign will be once there are real rewards, and how many more people will put in the effort during winter. I imagine that, in the end, the population will start and end high and will slump a little bit during summer and fall, but not a huge amount.

The seasons cycle is also a way of preventing stagnation. In other sandbox MMOs, you gather hard all the time because that's what you have to do to compete. In Crowfall, because of the seasons more than anything else, gathering is heavier at one point than others, PvP is heavier at one point than others, and crafting activity also goes up and down. Things are always changing as part of the cycle and that prevents burnout.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:09 AM, makkon said:

expanded: winter is longer. winter = zero online.

In a 4 day campaign, winter means that tomorrow will be a better day for farming & ganking, so today is a good day to rest.

In a much longer campaign where winter is a week or a month, tomorrow is not a better day, so today is another good day to die. Earn the biggest points for your team, take your enemies things, and deny the few skilled farmers they do have bases of operation and fields to reap.

Seriously, I do hope that more game elements are added to encourage more winter gameplay, but I really think that the the short campaigns are skewing player time toward using winter as reason to take a day off. Also, as player skills mature winter will not be as harsh for harvesters. We're not far off of a skill reset, but I'm already at plentiful 4 in winter. Before long, my complaint about winter will be that I actually need to use harvesting potions to have plentiful 5 (Oh the horror! :P).

41 minutes ago, VaMei said:

In a 4 day campaign, winter means that tomorrow will be a better day for farming & ganking, so today is a good day to rest.

In a much longer campaign where winter is a week or a month, tomorrow is not a better day, so today is another good day to die. Earn the biggest points for your team, take your enemies things, and deny the few skilled farmers they do have bases of operation and fields to reap.

Seriously, I do hope that more game elements are added to encourage more winter gameplay, but I really think that the the short campaigns are skewing player time toward using winter as reason to take a day off. Also, as player skills mature winter will not be as harsh for harvesters. We're not far off of a skill reset, but I'm already at plentiful 4 in winter. Before long, my complaint about winter will be that I actually need to use harvesting potions to have plentiful 5 (Oh the horror! :P).

I know concept. I just quoted about current experiment 6 days in current stage of pre alpha. those conditions shows how weak this game in content and reason to login during winter.

winter is longer -> less chance to found something worth (well, for me). campaing longer -> there is no reason to login if one faction get most of the ppl (eu local issues), etc etc

on soft launch there will be other variables and conditions and other results.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:35 AM, ilogos said:

Thoughts for a Long campaign

- I prefer a longer Campaign than a multitude of short campaigns because of the long term impact of the economy and faction vs faction PvP. 

I do not see a reason or rationale for extending the campaign length.  I don't believe it will create more PvP.  Rather, it has the potential of creating less PvP as people get bored and/or an under populated faction falls further and further behind in the scoring.  No amount of 'handicapping' or scoring mechanic manipulation will keep things interesting for a faction that is getting rolled, not to mention I feel those mechanics are generally undesirable.  Further, while I agree that linking exports to scoring at the end of a campaign makes  sense, it further exacerbates the problem for an under pop faction.  Why keep playing?  

The op states the longer campaign will have some impact on the economy.  I don't see a relationship here??  Enlighten me.

So I see ACE and others pushing mechanics that may make extended campaigns more palatable.  But why?  What is the purpose in doing so?

The whole premise of campaign based Crowfall is that fresh start.  It's an opportunity for a new map, a new ruleset, and most importantly some re-balancing as  under pop factions seek to re-energize and draw guilds and players to their side.  Without question, the highest server pops will occur at the start of a new campaign.  In addition, having played campaign style games for many years, the biggest drops in population occur when campaigns extend into months and either experience stagnation or when the losing faction has little or no chance to turn things around.  

Again, why is a long campaign better than a few shorter campaigns?