Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NicholasLionRider

Digging Seems A Little Op

Even if tunnelers do dig in, what better choke point will the defenders ever have then a freshly emerging tunnel?  They've already said you can't move through players, so send a few guys to hold the tunnel entrance and if it gets out of hand collapse the tunnel from above on all the enemies still inside(I will say the ability to do this is a must).

And that's assuming they DO make their tunnel and don't get found out early.

Bad theorizing is bad. How can anything seem OP without any working knowledge of game mechanics or potential counters? Centaurs seem really OP because horses run fast!

No I understand, I am normally not like one of those guys, this just got me thinking of how the heck I would defend against digging since they never really explained it in great detail. There will be a ton of ways, as long as I know they are there. If they are completely hidden, then it will be a broken system.

There's a lot of things we could do to make digging under castle walls a very difficult but rewarding endeavor. 

We want to give you all the tools to do some really interesting, tactical efforts but we need to ensure at the same time that a castle clearly offers a defend-able position (If it was easy to knock down walls or dig under them, then a castle isn't really a defensive point - is it?) 

Lots of possibilities here! Very exciting stuff.

I think a lot of people are coming at this from the idea that a castle is just a bunch of stone blocks sitting on the ground in an ordered pile. No need for foundations or floors made of anything but dirt. That's obviously not the reality of the matter though. Also seems like there's an inordinate number of people around here who, when faced with an obstacle, ask for help rather than find a way to solve the problem on their own. That mindset plus relative inexperience in PvP-centric sandbox MMOs results in questions like "but if people can dig then what's the point of walls at all?"

Maybe there will be mines with people down there?

Like coal mines

Maybe something really nasty will be released when the miners dig far enough along an ore vein? Wasn't that how the balrog got into Moria?

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Maybe you need more then just above ground defences :P, make a moat out of lava/water. Fill in the ground around your castle with stone or something. With a physics engine like this i think if something is op someone else with come along and come up with something else op that counters it.

There is always a way to counter this, or it would not be in the game.

Im thinking Water should stop any tunneling.....

We will just have to wait and see.

I, for one, am a huge fan of this in the game.

Will stop the impregnable fortress that nobody bothers to attack because it cant be breached.

Just my opinion....Im sure we will find out as the game gets closer.

Seems like there is a presumption that there is only one kind of "ground" in this game? Place your castle in the field next to farms in a rich soil then of course digging shouldn't be that hard. Then again place your castle next to a mountain with only bedrock under it and digging should take a really really long time.

In 7 Days to Die,  people usually dig down at least to the stone layer (approx 10ft) before laying their foundations. There are also land claiming blocks in MP.  Part of what the land claiming block does is adjust the block durability within its range. Example:  If block durability set to 125%, and claiming block is set to 4x then the durability of block within range of claiming block is 500%.

Another thing no one mentioned is moats.  Seems like you could also dig a moat around your castle to prevent digging.  Although this depends if we can redirect or move water to fill it.  In 7DtD, moving water is kinda limited to prevent people from filling in others mines or tunnel systems.

Edited by Strana

There is always a way to counter this, or it would not be in the game.

Im thinking Water should stop any tunneling.....

We will just have to wait and see.

I, for one, am a huge fan of this in the game.

Will stop the impregnable fortress that nobody bothers to attack because it cant be breached.

Just my opinion....Im sure we will find out as the game gets closer.

Draining the moat will still help you break the defenses.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

This is where moats would come in handy.

Normally they would tunnel under a castle wall  and then collapse the tunnel which would bring the wall down with it.

However putting a moat around the castle made this extremely difficult.

Moats were also great at stopping other things such as battering rams/siege towers and other forms of siege warfare.