Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sophia_Scarlett

My Personal Thoughts and Feedback (after about 2 months)

Let me start by saying thank you all for your willingness to listen to feedback. I have never seen a company that is so willing to listen to its community and change based on player feedback. I would also like to compliment your team and the community for having so many wonderful ideas and finding ways to implement them. Many of Crowfall systems are already great or on their way to being great, but those things aside there are still improvements to be made and so here are the things I believe could use improvement.

Skill Trees

·        Crafting Speed – I’m not sure if this is something that is already in the works, but I’ve noticed that some of the skills just feel bad to put points into (not counting the ones not in game yet). Particularly the reduced crafting time skills. I don’t know if this will perhaps change with factories (fair enough if it does), but right now these skills feel to me like it’s such a small gain I avoid it like the plague no matter what the profession. I’m not sure if others feel differently about this, but I personally would rather see something else here. My suggestion for this would be adding skills that when pointed into reduce the number of resources needed to craft things. For example, if the first skill were to reduce the ore needed for metal bars from 9-6 taking 1 ore off each slot then the second skill might take 1 off each slot for metal scales and so on and so forth. I think this would make progression through this skill tree more fun.

·        Stonemasonry Experiments – I have a feeling you are already looking into this, but I’ll leave my feedback here just in case. To my knowledge there is nothing in stonemasonry that uses experimentation so the entire top tree in stonemasonry seems pointless. I’d like to see buffs to forts/keeps here which do use experimentations. I also think it’d be neat to make these a double-edged sword so to speak. Where you can build up forts with better walls/guards or buildings which cause them to generate points faster, but also add to the capture bonus faster. I figure this would be difficult to add/balance, but I feel it’d also be a very interesting addition to the game.

Gathering

·        Ganking – Currently a gatherers defense against getting ganked is to spirit bank everything which isn’t fun for either the ganker or the gankee really. I realize the spirit bank is going to go away and that will make ganking gatherers more fun, but for the gatherers it will make gathering the worst experience. I admittedly have very little idea on how caravans will work, but at least in the current iteration of the game 9/10 times if you try to fight back against a ganker you will lose (believe me I’ve tried). The main problem I have with this is when gathering if you get ganked you start out at a very large disadvantage and you must either heavily outgear or outplay your ganker if you want to survive (or just have bard on while there’s no mounts). When you get ganked as a gatherer not only are you in gathering disciplines typically, but you also have to overcome lower stamina from hitting nodes in addition to the fact that more often than not the ganker gets the first hit. With the reduction to damage on weapons this isn’t as bad, but I still feel when the spirit bank is removed this will make gathering entirely unfun. My suggestion for this is to add things like the Miner/Quarryman/Skinner disciplines into the skill trees and having them grant passive that can be slotted into you trays in the same way leadership is now. This would free up at least the major discipline slots to have combat disciplines evening out the playing field a fair amount when getting ganked.

·        New Player Gatherers – New players who have just joined the game will often ask where they should go to find monster or to farm ores/stone/wood. The only place to direct them really is to the POIs since they don’t yet have the tools or skills to farm at their controlled keep where it’s safer. This often leads to a rather brutal initiation as more geared, more experienced players often camp the POIs looking to kill gatherers for free resources. I think lowering the rank of nodes required to get green resources to 5 or 6 which can be found at forts in addition to adding more monster areas throughout the map would help with this. While white resources can currently be farmed easily outside POIs/keeps most players will be in greens which seem to be a fairly big increase over white gear.

Campaign Rewards

This is one I know you’re already looking into, but I had a few thoughts I’d like to share. The biggest difficulty I feel with the campaign rewards is that if rewards are exclusive to that campaign it incentivizes the Uncle Bob scenario where everyone quits or plies onto the winning team because they wanted that reward or are losing too badly and don’t feel they’ll get it. A possible solution for this could be to implement a system I’ll call “Crow Points” for now. Crow points would essentially be a store at the menu screen where players could spend points received from their efforts in campaigns to get various in-game rewards. Points could be received from things like being one of the best players on the faction, being in the winning faction, gathering the most resources, etc. These points could the been spent to buy from a set of rewards in the Crow store. This would also allow the option to have items in the Crow store to be gated behind conditions such as a player has been on the winning faction (or guild for Dreegs) in a campaign, passed a certain kill threshold or gathered X amount of resources. I feel a system like this would stop players from feelings as though they are losing out by not being on the winning faction and be more likely to continue to try if they can still get points by being top on their faction. This would also offer a system through which players can be awarded for being on the losing faction in the future if it’s needed.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all in game!

First let me say, I had fun for the first 3 days of playing this game. That was before the campfires bugged out, forcing me to run all the way to a fort out in the campaign. Guess what? I was immediately ganked by max level players who I couldn't even damage or had a sliver of a chance to fight back. Whats the point of investing time in this game if I can't even make basic goods, cook food, or make ANY degree of progress before I am forced in to a situation where max level players are just hanging around farming new players and taking their stuff; let alone actually PvP since I can't farm up to the point where I have basic gear which probably wouldn't survive a PvP encounter anyways. I'm stressed out, day after day I just lose my progress, ALL my progress! Don't see any point in continuing to play this game any longer, and that was my mistake for buying an always PvP game. Even though it was advertised you could make private kingdoms that I would be able to just farm or adventure on with friends or even privately. So that I might be lucky enough to save up enough to eventually PvP. Unlike a lot of the other players on here I don't have an expendable income, my only option is to return to the game in 15-18 months and hope to god that the game is playable at that point, and my $50 are at long last put to use. 

(note) Also a lot of the in game community just stand around, telling me to "#getgood" or "just use your spirit bank." They will always have something snarky to say but very few were willing to advise or explain rules or systems. Not a very forthcoming or helpful testing community. I can't get good if I can't learn the basics, farm the basics, or even open my spirit bank and mass deposit in the two split seconds before I was killed. To the few people I encountered who were helpful, I hope to meet you again some day in battle... far away in the future when the game doesn't function as a Troll Sandbox!

@Sophia_Scarlett 1. and 2. are good points, that I'm confident are going to be adressed by ACE in the near future.

Regarding your opinion about gathering, I feel like it's in a good spot right now. Gathering should have a proper risk/reward synergy. Meaning if you want to solo gather in full harvesting gear+disciplines and at the most profitable spot you put yourself at a very high risk of getting ganked and robbed. On the other hand nothing stops you from harvesting at less frequented spots with some combat/escape disciplines equipped, beeing less efficient but "safe"ish.

@Chaos_Host In my experience the community is actually very helpful when it comes to giving advice to new players. Very often snarky questions lead to snarky answers. We all experienced the harsh reality of an open pvp world, we all got ganked and lost valuable resources. Learn from your mistakes and don't cry about it in a unrelated forum post.