Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glitchhiker

Winter landrush idea

So during the LiveChat yesterday JTC mentioned it's inevitable players gonna gradually leave after the initial exciting "landrush", attracting peak player numbers at the start of a new campaign.

My thought was, why not utilize this landrush concept to also bring this kind of excitement to the late phases of a campaign.

More specifically, my idea was to introduce a new map with the start of winter (+ align it with prime time) similar to the free city in the center of the world (though i haven't figured out a 2D map geometry to support 2 central maps) and put a huge castle in it's center with a layout for massive 3-way faction clashes and some other objectives like maybe siege camps leading to the castle or simply 3 forts

Also the castle should probably have a different capture mechanic than just planting an golden apple.

You could also implement an interesting anti-uncleBob mechanic by opening the castle siege at the same time as the keeps, forcing the faction holding both to split their force and potentially lose both.

Some fun and not game changing rewards for the castle would be a fancy interactable throne and a banquet for banter and RP for example.

Too much to ask for? What do you think?

Edited by Glitchhiker
Forgot a word

I made a similar suggestion in another thread! Great minds think alike!

I didn't really plan it, my brain kinda came up with it in response to something that JTC said in response to my OP. 

I think you're right. I'll go further and say that this'll fix a fair few of the problems, including the initial 'tilt' in favour of one faction. 

Edited by AnthArmo

29 minutes ago, AnthArmo said:

I made a similar suggestion in another thread! Great minds think alike!

I didn't really plan it, my brain kinda came up with it in response to something that JTC said in response to my OP. 

I think you're right. I'll go further and say that this'll fix a fair few of the problems, including the initial 'tilt' in favour of one faction.

While both our ideas aim for the same goal - keeping the campaing exciting - I personally feel like your's wouldn't yield enough incentive to actually achieve this excitment for the majority of players. 

Another crucial difference is that your idea would cut back on the players freedom to go/do what they want while mine gives them more freedom in addition to what they can do already.

I'm all for more things to do and fight over in a campaign, but if people have to keep asking for things to fight over then there might be some design flaw with the game.

Make it so that harvesting doesn't become crap during fall/winter and I bet you no longer see that drop off. Right now people aren't going to new campaigns because there is only the one. They push to get materials and when that dies down and people stop logging in after bonuses are gone, the rest fall out. Until only the most dedicated are left logging in for things. 

I worry this game is going to glorified battleground mode. There's a serious issue if people want to hop-skotch from world to world without sticking around. That tells me "big brother" is putting too much emphasis on "here's what we want you to do" and once players feel like they aren't a part of that, they aren't getting anything out if the world anymore. This is just as bad as worlds dying from stagnation; worlds dying because the game stops rewarding you for being in that campaign so people just ship. At this point you might as well stop pretending and make this game hunger dome or some other queue to play, very transient world.

It's hard to say though because this is very basic, faction play without a big population. Only thing we really know is ability to harvest well dictates population as things currently stand. 

That being said, they really DO need more 'carrot' to play in later seasons if you are rewarded so well for playing in early seasons. Can't give people a carrot and take it away and expect them to have the same drive. Course spirit banking issues, and points meaning something could completely change that. 

Edited by Navystylz