Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glitchhiker

Solution to alt spying

So I just stumbled across that 5 page thread about spying with alt acounts and this idea for a counter came to my mind. Admittedly I didn't read all of the 5 pages so maybe somebody already came up with a better solution. But here we go.

What about a feature that allows you to be permanently stealthed to the eyes of a player of your faction - the spy in the intended scenario or maybe your friend for some banter.

I'm no dev but it doesn't seem too hard to implement as it's already a part of the game in a different sense and so far I couldn't find any way to exploit that feature for unfair advantages. Can any of you?

Best solution? Create Dregs so that all hardcore players go there and make GR be for beginners and casual gamers. Each mode with rules for a specific audience type. The only solution I see for alt spy is to simply create a MM system of phases that makes gankers players only able to attack players of the same level.

Edited by hamon

56 minutes ago, hamon said:

Best solution? Create Dregs so that all hardcore players go there and make GR be for beginners and casual gamers. Each mode with rules for a specific audience type.

So your "solution" is avoiding the problem with the assumption that campaigns will have so little incentive and content after launch, that every "hardcore" player would prefer Dregs at all times.

Me on the other hand I still have hope that the incentive and content in the future will make it worth for everybody to play campaigns and maybe some Dregs in between that, even though I do see myself as a "hardcore" gvg player.

1 hour ago, hamon said:

The only solution I see for alt spy is to simply create a MM system of phases that makes gankers players only able to attack players of the same level.

So you don't acknowledge my idea as a solution? And you think that it's easier to implement a mm-system into an open world pvp game, rather than a invisibility feature for friendlies? I have no clue about coding a game but that seems debateable.

Also, a mm-system would limit a players freedom in the open world and I always feel like that's a horrible way of fixing an inbalance.

1 hour ago, Glitchhiker said:

So you don't acknowledge my idea as a solution?

How would your solution solve anything? If someone is a spy, they could be permanently stealthed to you. You would never even know they are there. And it's not like you are going to know who all the spies are and be able to hide from them. On top of that, it seems counter-intuitive that a group of people who are meant to work together can all hide from each other.

Let people police it themselves. Every faction is going to have players who have accounts on alternate factions. If a spy is found, those players can log into their alt accounts and kill the spy. 

Edited by Arkade

If they wanted to regulate it, the smart thing might be to embrace it. Make spying a thing, and give spies certain abilities. Those abilities would need to give the spies some advantages they can't get simply by using an alt account, and they also need to provide some ability for the spy to be caught, but that's how I would go about it. It's much easier said than done though. I'm trying, but I'm having a really hard time envisioning how it would work well enough to eliminate alt spying.

just let the spies be, theyre kinda helpful actually, when i see zybak2 standing at the runegate i know hes is at a poi in the zone 

1 hour ago, Arkade said:

How would your solution solve anything? If someone is a spy, they could be permanently stealthed to you. You would never even know they are there.

It's true, with alot of effort (typing in every players name of one faction) a spy could become invisible to everybody. I did not think of that. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Arkade said:

You would never even know they are there. And it's not like you are going to know who all the spies are and be able to hide from them.

It's not particularly hard to figure out who's a spy and you can spread the word when you do.

1 hour ago, Arkade said:

On top of that, it seems counter-intuitive that a group of people who are meant to work together can all hide from each other.

Well obviously if you want to work with your team you won't be making yourself invisible to them... it's a choice. 

1 hour ago, Arkade said:

Let people police it themselves. Every faction is going to have players who have accounts on alternate factions. If a spy is found, those players can log into their alt accounts and kill the spy. 

The problem here is that certain spies just sit at a runegate and can't be killed by anyone.

1 hour ago, Staff said:

just let the spies be, theyre kinda helpful actually, when i see zybak2 standing at the runegate i know hes is at a poi in the zone 

Tbh I don't mind spies either. Right now in EU I welcome any pvp action I can get even if I'm the ganked one. But it's a feature like blocking a player from communicating with you. I never blocked anyone in my life except for spammers/goldselling bots but supposedly there's  a whole bunch of ppl who do. I tried to give them a choice.