Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wasichu

The eyes of a new player

So I thought it would be benificial to spend my time to give my thoughts and ideas as a seasoned mmo player since DAOC way back.

So far I am enjoying the game but there are things that could be changed to add fun and quality of life. 

1. In character creation would be very benificial to know what racial bonuses I will have as that is a very big decision early on. As well as some early learning quest givers to teach you about the training system and it paths. A quest guy at first campfire to maybe cook a meat to intro the crafting system. A quest guy to explain sacrificing at the first sac fire before entering beach head. Maybe to get a sacrifice shard from the hunger spires and introduce the lore of the hunger. And maybe one last quest at beachhead introimg the crafting table making a players first armor piece. 

Back when we could sac frames to get to 30 quik I did and crafted white advanced weapons and armor thinking I would be able to pvp. I knew I wouldn't be great due to being in commons but I felt like a lev 1 fighting a lev 30. Just destroyed no matter who I faced. The response in chat was I need a vessel and better gear. Ok I'm down with that so I have been working and working and working towards that. My buddy and I still can't get any of the ingredients for ambrosia that a necro needs to make a vessle so thats a let down I am living with. I have trained my excavating up pretty high yet we couldn't even make a dent in a lev 2 motherload to even hope for ingredients for ambrosias. Their is no point to waste ingredients for a blue or green vessel so I suggest make them easier ingredient wise to make so I feel like I am progressing towards getting that epic vessel with rarer ingredients. Feeling rewarded for efforts now and efforts latter as more skill level is earned.

2. Gear. You would think 3 weeks in I would have materials to craft green gear. However getting green mats to drop in the amounts needed to craft them seem like a carrot on a stick. I believe two things should be added to help with that. Each tier level of resource should up the percent chance to drop a say rarity resource. Like tier 1 node a 10% chance to drop a green 5% blue and 1% purp. Each resource that pops out rolls a dice. Tier 2 12% 6% 2% etc. Also give alchemist a way to transmute say 20 white resourse to 1 uncommon. 10 uncommon to 1 rare and 10 rare to 1 epic. The feeling of not being able to contribute to pvp and just being cannon fodder in a pvp game is a let down at this point.

3. Keeps and the plethora of capture points. Why capture them? Just to say you won the campain. Two suggestions one a dungeon like darkness falls from DAOC. It was the most brilliant idea they implemented. Which ever side owned the most keeps and outpost gained control of the dungeon. In the dungeon you could earn a currency from mobs to get great gear. This gear wasnt near as good as crafted gear which it shouldnt be but it was sufficient to be pvp viable. Lower tier mobs would drop a currency that would give good gear for low lev players and deeper in mobs droped epic currency. 

This did two things the dominant faction was in the dungeon and not able to quikly defend keeps and when the next faction took control of the dungeon they could muster together as a group and kill the mobs along the way to kill opposing faction while they were in the dungeon farming when you got to thier quadrant of the dungeon. It made for some of the most exciting feelings on both ends. When new faction got in it was like lets go get them SOBs and on other side of coin you were like aww hell we better get ready for battle or get back up top to retake our keeps.

The smaller capture points on map scattered about play a roll in weakening the defences of the keeps. More capture points you took less guards spawned and their damage and defence was lessened. This makes small groups important for the roll as well.

Well I hope you stick with the game because your two issues should be solved,

First JTodd has addressed the New Player Experience (starter quests and such) multiple times... in a nutshell there are not any in the game atm because he does not want to spend the resources to have to keep changing them as the game is stiil changing

Second, the whole reason everyone else is ahead of you is passive skill training, with higher skills it gets so much easier for rare resources, and such. As an example I am not even a quarter through my crafting and exploration tables.. I can barely take down a rank two motherload with another player... yet I have many more points to train in damage to motherloads, runehammer damage ect.. Furthermore eventually I will be able to make better tools as I advance in my runemaking skill and gain better tools that do more damage.

Most of your problems lie in the fact that some people have been filling those trees for two months longer than you, when the skill trees are wiped... no one will have vessels or be able to get one for quite a while..

I hope this cleared some things up

Thats good that in plan on new player experience. As far as passive skills I have basically completed the mineing line in excavation but yet yield like 1 green ore a node. At that rate it will take a while to make just uncommon gear. Thing is I am trying to say on that point is a player who gets this game and feels no progression towards being pvp ready in 3 weeks just feeling like they are a crafting gatherer may loose interest. Green vessels and gear should be moderately easy to aquire with a little work in a relatively short time to feel you are progressing. As said before why would anyone waste ambrosias on green or blue vessles. The ingredients should match the power level. As well as passive skill training. Once you are in the second tier of specializing a gather uncommon materials should drop alot more frequent. Sittin in white gear after 3 weeks of farming the crap out of stuff leads to duldrum and repetiveness. I don't mind working for my stuff as it makes me feel rewarded for my efforts. But as of now I feel I am chipping away at a mountain with a spoon.

3 hours ago, Wasichu said:

Back when we could sac frames to get to 30 quik I did and crafted white advanced weapons and armor thinking I would be able to pvp. I knew I wouldn't be great due to being in commons but I felt like a lev 1 fighting a lev 30. Just destroyed no matter who I faced. The response in chat was I need a vessel and better gear. Ok I'm down with that so I have been working and working and working towards that. My buddy and I still can't get any of the ingredients for ambrosia that a necro needs to make a vessle so thats a let down I am living with. I have trained my excavating up pretty high yet we couldn't even make a dent in a lev 2 motherload to even hope for ingredients for ambrosias. Their is no point to waste ingredients for a blue or green vessel so I suggest make them easier ingredient wise to make so I feel like I am progressing towards getting that epic vessel with rarer ingredients. Feeling rewarded for efforts now and efforts latter as more skill level is earned.

2. Gear. You would think 3 weeks in I would have materials to craft green gear. However getting green mats to drop in the amounts needed to craft them seem like a carrot on a stick. I believe two things should be added to help with that. Each tier level of resource should up the percent chance to drop a say rarity resource. Like tier 1 node a 10% chance to drop a green 5% blue and 1% purp. Each resource that pops out rolls a dice. Tier 2 12% 6% 2% etc. Also give alchemist a way to transmute say 20 white resourse to 1 uncommon. 10 uncommon to 1 rare and 10 rare to 1 epic. The feeling of not being able to contribute to pvp and just being cannon fodder in a pvp game is a let down at this point.

Gear may be important, but skill and organization are more important. Those people in chat misled you if they told you that it was all about the vessel and gear.

I've been PvPing just fine with a default vessel and crappy white gear. The reason is because I have experience and play with an organized group.

You are mistaken if you think green and blue vessels are a waste of ingredients. I would highly recommend that you start there, and don't chase after a purple vessel as your first upgrade.

Technically two people can farm motherlodes, but that is the bare minimum. It will be slow and frustrating. And in the most recent build the Take it Down power on Foreman has been non-functional, making 2-person motherlode farming an exercise in frustration.

So why would you use very hard to get ambrosias on a green or blue vessel instead of using it on purple body parts? And I am not saying a vessel is vital to compete but it is a big bonus of assistance when in combat. I just believe that green vessles should be the easiest to aquire and at this time it is equaly as difficult as a purple vessel as any color takes ambrosias. Need stepping stone vessels to grow up into epic.Thats why I said green vessels should use a less relare to get ingredient. Maybe soulstones and a compleete rune from spiders. And blue some other ingredients but a bit harder to farm.

9 minutes ago, Wasichu said:

So why would you use very hard to get ambrosias on a green or blue vessel instead of using it on purple body parts? And I am not saying a vessel is vital to compete but it is a big bonus of assistance when in combat. I just believe that green vessles should be the easiest to aquire and at this time it is equaly as difficult as a purple vessel as any color takes ambrosias. Need stepping stone vessels to grow up into epic.Thats why I said green vessels should use a less relare to get ingredient. Maybe soulstones and a compleete rune from spiders. And blue some other ingredients but a bit harder to farm.

Because making and leveling purple vessels is considerably more expensive that making and leveling green or blue vessels. And the difference in power between them is modest.

Getting ambrosia isn't so bad when you work with a group. It just seems bad because you have been trying to do it with just 2 people. And if you were doing it in 5.8.1 there was a bug making it much more difficult.

There’s also the risk factor, purple vessels have a big quality modifier that dumps them well below the 50/50 Chance line on a newer necromancer. Training improves that to more manageable risk but it doesn’t quite make it trivial. So would you rather risk maybe getting a few percent number increase but have a decent shot at flawed assembly or spend those rare minerals on a blue with a much higher assembly chance and only a small difference in numbers? 

Not to mention the leveling difference between the different vessel qualities is noticeable.

You don't need any passive training to take down higher tier nodes. 

As was mentioned, motherlodes were bugged and just patched to be fixed today. Aside from that, all you need is a decent tool that can be crafted by runemakers. Hell, on a tier 2 you don't even need that so I'm going to assume the problem was the first thing about motherlodes.