Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

UPDATED: ACE Q&A Live Thursday - Official discussion thread

Join Todd & Blair for the February ACE Q&A livestream at 12 pm CST on Feb. 7. 

FULL STORY

Immediately following the ACE Q&A, we have a terrific lineup of some of our community's favorite streamers. All are experienced Crowfall players and are happy to answer questions and share their tips and tricks. Stick around and support your fellow Crows! 

1 pm - 3 pm CST: Cremdalacrem
3 pm - 5 pm CST - CrusaderW
5 pm - 7 pm CST - xRufio801x
7 pm - 9 pm CST - That_Eriksson

Edited by Pann
Add streamer lineup

This will seem unrelated, but I have a rant and a request.

The Rant

I'm starting to see a pattern.

1. Establish a high-level goal
  2. Hand off design of a sub-system to a team
  3. Once the subsystem is created, realize that it doesn't mesh well with the goal
  4. Instead of making deep changes to the already built sub-system, modify the high-level goal slightly to match

This time, it was in relation to the changes to skill trees.

• High Level Goal:  let players make important choices that define their character in meaningful ways
  • Sub-system:  it was built to be overly complex to the extent that players cannot figure out the consequences of their choices without trial and error.
  • Conflict:  Trial and error are heavily penalized, so the system is frustrating to explore (when it should be fun!)
  • Result:  Instead of dramatically altering the complexity of the skill systems, a compromise is proposed where players will have fewer significant choices so that they don't get as frustrated.

Do you see what's happening here?  No single compromise is "breaking the game", but this pattern keeps happening.  Slowly, but surely, the original high-level goals are being compromised to accommodate sub-systems that are poorly aligned.

The Request

Please, go watch (or rewatch) this GDC talk to remind yourself of the importance of Role and the dangers of Complexity.  Then, do as he says.  "Once you're done, cut half."

Please.  For the love of the game we were sold.

Apparently left out of the livestream's "discipline updates" segment (unless I totally missed it somehow) was the fact that disciplines will now only display powers usable by the class looking at it instead of all powers possibly available on that discipline. Black Mask for example: 

temp3.png?width=765&height=763

Viewed on the left by a Druid, on the right by an Assassin.

Thanks to @Hyriol for clearing that up👍 

2 hours ago, moneda said:

Apparently left out of the livestream's "discipline updates" segment (unless I totally missed it somehow) was the fact that disciplines will now only display powers usable by the class looking at it instead of all powers possibly available on that discipline. Black Mask for example: 

temp3.png?width=765&height=763

Viewed on the left by a Druid, on the right by an Assassin.

Thanks to @Hyriol for clearing that up👍 

Wow, it even changes with classes that can't equip the discipline? So it isnt even about being able to slot the power since it wouldnt make sense to show powers in discs that can't be equipped.

My guess is on this being a bug originated from the changes into discs. Probably in some functionality with the powers (discs) being added to the skill tree (not showing those powers in the talent tree). Would also explain why there was no mention of this into the live stream.

Still watching the live stream (thanks @Bzra for the YT video if that BzraHax guy is you) and just wanted to say you guys argument for leveling is flawed.

The argument was: We wanted to get leveling in so that players had time to learn to play without having everything throw at them at once. Paraphrasing of course, but pretty much that.

The problem is that the above is only valid to white vessels. It is a valid point. We do have to think of the newbies, but having to go through that period of (basically) no-powers whenever we upgrade a vessel is a big no-no.

The leveling itself is a good mechanic and I think the powers upgrades are damn sweet, but that first levels are just awful.

Someone mentioned the option of starting higher quality vessel with all powers. I think that idea has merit. I think allowing us to use our old vessel to give a boost to our new would be interesting. Like, add an optional slot into necro so that we could add the vessel and start at level 25, but cram that experience requirement in the last five levels? Or start at level 1 but with a new tree that has only the discs and promotion (powers and talents already gained)?

As long as you adjust the XP requirement it wouldnt matter. We would still give malekai junk, we would still go out and capture (once we get xp for that). We would really just be skipping the tutorial phase. Doing it once is already more than enough.

Edited by BarriaKarl

On 2/8/2019 at 10:37 AM, BarriaKarl said:

Wow, it even changes with classes that can't equip the discipline? So it isnt even about being able to slot the power since it wouldnt make sense to show powers in discs that can't be equipped.

My guess is on this being a bug originated from the changes into discs. Probably in some functionality with the powers (discs) being added to the skill tree (not showing those powers in the talent tree). Would also explain why there was no mention of this into the live stream.

@vkromas is this a bug and should I post it on the right sub section as a reminder or is this intended?  

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

@vkromas is this a bug and should I post it on the right sub section as a reminder or is this intended?  

I'm still getting clarification on whether this is a bug or intended. It definitely doesn't hurt to bring this up in the bug and feedback thread, especially if as a player, it seems more limiting rather than helpful.