Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BarriaKarl

Disciplines' 'Variant of' field

Hey, folks. Since when is that a thing? I just noticed that field in some screenshots. Anyone knows what it means? Was that talked about anywhere?

Some of those seem to only be a reflection of the disc itself. Like Dryad that list itself as a variant of Dryad so I thought nothing much of it, but this one...

unknown.png

...had me curious.

'Force Mage'? What is that? I can't get a single result on google involving CF and Force Mage so it seems it wasnt ever mentioned around here?

Anyone know what that is about? Do any other interesting Variants exist?

14 minutes ago, Arkade said:

Where are you seeing that? I don't see either Reality Warper or Force Mage in the list of major disciplines on TEST.

Above the line 'crafted by: Yianni" in the image above. Just under the discipline icon.

Edited by BarriaKarl

3 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Above the line 'crafted by: Yianni" in the image above. Just under the discipline icon.

No, I meant, where are you seeing the Reality Warper discipline. I didn't see it listed with the major disciplines anymore, but I saw Yianni's post that he had it equipped prior to the patch.

11 minutes ago, Arkade said:

No, I meant, where are you seeing the Reality Warper discipline. I didn't see it listed with the major disciplines anymore, but I saw Yianni's post that he had it equipped prior to the patch.

Oh, didnt know it was removed. Just selected it because it was the first one I saw that listed itself as a variant of a different discipline, one which I had never heard about.

I am just curious about this whole 'variant of' thing. But it seems no one finds that worth talking about (also no results in google), which either means it was always there (which means my memory is getting dangerously bad) or it was explained somewhere and I missed it (likely).

"Variant of" isn't a new thing.
Since we're able to name things, it's so you know what you're getting on a crafted item.

For example, this sword I crafted a very long time ago. Groovin's Greatsword, Variant of: Two handed sword.
V2cJKLi.jpg

Why it's on Discs, I don't know, since I'm pretty sure you can't rename them.

231e101d88.jpg

Force Mage must be the new name of it, but for whatever reason, the recipe isn't there. The one yianni had was crafted prior to the patch, so it retained the Reality Warper name.

1 hour ago, Groovin said:

"Variant of" isn't a new thing.
Since we're able to name things, it's so you know what you're getting on a crafted item.

For example, this sword I crafted a very long time ago. Groovin's Greatsword, Variant of: Two handed sword.
V2cJKLi.jpg

Why it's on Discs, I don't know, since I'm pretty sure you can't rename them.

That makes sense. I can see how displaying the item type could be useful (specially when we get more varied looks on items). I could argue that 'variant of' implies it isn't exactly the same but that seems like nitpicking.

11 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

I could argue that 'variant of' implies it isn't exactly the same but that seems like nitpicking.

Nah, it's just there so you can't fool people by naming your Arcane Archer disc Sharpshooter, or naming your Two Handed Greatsword a Bastard Sword. What it really implies is that it's a Force Mage Discipline named Reality Warper.

Also gimme! I need more Magic-themed Discs in my life!

Edited by coolster50

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Variant of just tell you what it was when crafted.

Since you can rename anything you craft variant of states what it was originally before it was renamed.

Veeshan Midst of UXA