Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Luthare

What do SB players think of vessels?

The one thing I really look forward to in gaming is pvp and an even playing field. This vessel system imo will make the game too grindy and give to much advantage to those that can play 24/7. None of which makes excited.

SB showed that a fun pvp siege based game will have a loyal following. The game just worked because it was a blast. I felt the time based campaigns would solve SB's one flaw.. that people would just quit after a few defeats. Knowing you can reset and even join a new campaign should keep more people playing longer.

Just wondering what others think. I dont like the idea at all.

5 minutes ago, Luthare said:

The one thing I really look forward to in gaming is pvp and an even playing field. This vessel system imo will make the game too grindy and give to much advantage to those that can play 24/7. None of which makes excited.

SB showed that a fun pvp siege based game will have a loyal following. The game just worked because it was a blast. I felt the time based campaigns would solve SB's one flaw.. that people would just quit after a few defeats. Knowing you can reset and even join a new campaign should keep more people playing longer.

SB players rolled lots of alts. Whenever things got boring people rolled up new characters to try out new builds. It took at least as long as it takes to level a vessel. And we didn't have the option of just using gold to skip the level grind like we do in Crowfall.

Jah honestly 80% of the leveling if not more was afk druids running afk groups. And gearing was so easy no one cared about getting ganked.

Edited by Luthare

I suspect that eventually 80% of leveling in Crowfall will be just throwing gold at the sacrifice pit-- even more convenient than leveling macros in SB. And people will have enough gold that it won't be a big deal.

harsh reality....

This game, though fashioned after SB, is not meant for the "average" SB player. "Old" SB players maybe... as in.... at launch, well..... maybe. The skill, admitadly.. is way higher here. The effort?....again, way higher here. It's a different game, and a different avenue to what we had. The only edge I have ever argued is that old SB players may have is the ability to endure through the sense of loss. The ability to come back. That, unfortunately, is trumped by most "old" SB players lack of effort to give or produce given the current game mechanics.

I played SB from launch and worked on an emulated project with Brent aka "Murray Slaughter". So no one can sell me on how I don't understand what Shadowbane was, or what it became. The only value in SB was we all remembered it fondly... nostalgia. That has been destroyed. If you look at the wreck of both emulated projects, can you argue? Now, not because of the effort of the teams that recreated it, it's commendable, .. the effort. But, how do we remember the game as it used to be? It is a shell.

If you honestly want to come here, and argue the virtues of a stack fight/no collision/tab target game, and tell every other gamer(that has no other frame of reference) that SB was the paragon of PvP gaming .. well.. you are custard delusional. If you custard believe that... PvP gaming has passed you by. It just makes everyone that ever played there look bad.

If you disagree? Have fun! here's links.

http://www.magicbane.com/

https://shadowbaneemulator.com/

I totally agree this game will take much more skill and is a better game in those regards. I just think in any pvp game people dont want to wait a long time before being able to compete. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants a complete character before engaging in serious  (not fighting with gankers or ganking) pvp. And I think most would want as close to an even playing field as you can get. In that at the end of the day skill decided the outcome. This vessel thing just seems really grindy for a game built for pvp and unbalancing.

Btw who exactly were you responding to? Though I agree with much of what you said it doesnt seem to apply to anything said here in this thread. Or maybe you were drawing too much from my praise of SB and my fond experience looking back.. when the point of my post was the vessel system. Not this games combat vs SB.

10 hours ago, Luthare said:

Leveling a vessel isn't really that much of a grind is it?  Or not beyond the first one.  You can farm gold enough to level a blue at least in just a few hours.  

I'd hope to see vessel rolling options evolve to give some of the customization that SB character creation offered.  Looking past the nostalgia, the customization was not that extensive, 80% of creation runes I'm sure no one ever took, but still there were a few things you could take to give a different twist to a character.

5 hours ago, Armegeddon said:

I played SB from launch and worked on an emulated project with Brent aka "Murray Slaughter". So no one can sell me on how I don't understand what Shadowbane was, or what it became. The only value in SB was we all remembered it fondly... nostalgia. That has been destroyed. If you look at the wreck of both emulated projects, can you argue?

The state of both emulators is a sad thing.  Maybe its simply nostalgia colored memory,, but neither one brings back the same feelings - wacky changes on one side, and murraybane on the other.  I won't disparage either one more here, its not the place for that. 

My fondest memories of SB are from new server starts.  Crowfall isn't meant to be SB, but I hope campaign startups can recreate the new server feel.

Alyriel if I'm making to big a deal out of something it wouldnt be the first time. :)  I just saw guys in the guild.. one got a rare vessel and another an  epic vessel (I think that is what the level of vessel was) and they were complaining about how much exp they needed to level. Said just gaining a level early on.. like 6 to 7 or something was 2k gold. (if they sacrificed) That is way more than initial leveling.