Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astreria

Subscription, p2w store and lootboxes?

I tried to look around on the forum for a while, but I didn't see anything about it, so I'll be asking, is this a subscription based game like WoW, or will it be like GW2 where you only pay for the game?

Secondly, will there be some type of p2w store, where you can buy stuff for real money, like for instance transmogs, mounts, housing decorations and other stuff that's not available in-game?

And last, is there going to be any type of randomized loot boxes that contain gear, weapons or other sorts of valuable items and/or collectibles?

Take note that depending on the answers, my intereset of the game may or may not diminish.

Thanks for your time, and your (hopefully) great answers.

Kind regards/ Astreria
Blue Plz

In theory....

1) buy to play, once.  

2) No p2w store.  They were tinkering with the notion of VIP status, but decided it was too p2w

3) No p2w loot boxes or similar nonsense.

Any or all of the above might change, they've changed their minds numerous times on key aspects of game design, so who knows.  I hope to hell all the above stays in place, but who knows.

45 minutes ago, Astreria said:

I tried to look around on the forum for a while, but I didn't see anything about it, so I'll be asking, is this a subscription based game like WoW, or will it be like GW2 where you only pay for the game?

Secondly, will there be some type of p2w store, where you can buy stuff for real money, like for instance transmogs, mounts, housing decorations and other stuff that's not available in-game?

And last, is there going to be any type of randomized loot boxes that contain gear, weapons or other sorts of valuable items and/or collectibles?

Take note that depending on the answers, my intereset of the game may or may not diminish.

Thanks for your time, and your (hopefully) great answers.

Kind regards/ Astreria
Blue Plz

They said everything will be available in game , But i think their current deal is there will be skins ect for sale on the store. 

1 hour ago, Astreria said:

If you consider skins and decorations to be p2w, then maybe.

1 hour ago, Corpran said:

Wondering what crowns will be used for.

Crowns are virtual currency. Many games have something similar, and I believe it was done for legal reasons. I know there was an issue with people having real money in their virtual wallets, so they created the Crowns and converting everything to that.

You use real money to buy crowns and then use crowns to buy stuff in the store. The only stuff you can buy in the store are skins/cosmetics and parcels/buildings, which are only of use in EKs. EKs are glorified housing. Any of the parcels and buildings can be crafted in game and having them doesn't give you a competitive advantage because again, they can't be used outside the EKs.

7 hours ago, Astreria said:

Pay once with optional Sub (VIP) that will offer unknown rewards. ACE has claimed it will not be P2W, but that depends on what they determine is P2W.

In the past and currently, they've offered what I see as game impacting items. Maybe not literal, buy-equip-instantly win, but potentially advantageous all the same.

Relics: From what ACE has said before, Relic/Artifacts placed in EKs will provide buffs not only in the EK but in Campaigns as well. This can change and might not be that significant overall, but even if it's 1% chance to harvest better or whatever, that is still paying for an advantage.

Mounts/Pack Animals: Skins are for sale BUT they list that a Mount Figurine aka a Mount is part of the purchase. Mounts provide a fairly decent advantage in-game. I don't see anything that says these are EK only. The mount system as a whole isn't finished so this could change to be skin only, but they are selling them with a mount currently. Obtaining one in-game might be trivial eventually, but once again, provides advantage through cash.

VIP: VIP tokens are said to be up for trade. These like other store items could be used as a form of currency like other games with similar options. Buy 5 VIP, trade for 1000 wood or 2 epic words or 1 legendary human vessel. Basically allowing players to use cash to buy virtual goods in the store and then trade for in-game goods. What they buy and what value store items have is unknown, but it definitely opens up a market for paying for advantage.

Eternal Kingdom: They sell land parcels and structures. More land you have the more structures. The more structures the more crafting/vendors and other such place able things. While the EK is a separate part of the game, with the potential to import items crafted, bought, sold, traded, stored in the EK into Campaigns, this opens up more opportunity for those playing in Campaigns that allow imports. For those doing everything in Campaigns this isn't an issue (No import Dregs), but will be interesting to see how the two work side by side depending on Campaign rules. While EKs might be glorified housing, they open up another part of gameplay that likely will impact Campaigns.

Skins/Decorations/Cosmetics: Hopefully just show off who backed earlier or paid more and nothing more. As most current are backer rewards, I don't see them being obtained in-game. Not sure this game will benefit from a huge skin market, but if it brings in money, people can buy all the silly looking stuff they want as long as it doesn't impact performance.

Kickstarter Rewards: Increased bank size (20%), more character slots (1-3 extra), Forum badge skins. Wouldn't be surprised to see these show up in the store as typical convenience options. With however player storage ends up, things like 20% extra bank could be huge.

Overall, yes you can buy stuff in the store that will directly or indirectly influence campaign outcomes, but how much is unknown. They need to finish the game first.

Nothing planned AFAIK, but anything is possible. Cosmetic only boxes in some games are huge money makers and I wouldn't be upset if ACE did something similar if it made the game have more funding without impacting gameplay.

6 hours ago, Arkade said:

The only stuff you can buy in the store are skins/cosmetics and parcels/buildings, which are only of use in EKs. EKs are glorified housing. Any of the parcels and buildings can be crafted in game and having them doesn't give you a competitive advantage because again, they can't be used outside the EKs.

Mounts, Pack Animals, Relics/Artifacts will likely impact Campaigns and not be EK only.

EKs are glorified housing, but they are supposed to house the greater CF Economy and Campaigns that support it. The bigger/better an EK be it for a player or guild, the greater potential they have to craft/trade and then import.

Even if 100% of the store items can be obtained in-game, being able to input a CC# sure is a lot easier then whatever time consuming and likely risky activities are needed in-game.

Buying a mount or parcel of land isn't going to magically allow someone to win a Campaign, but put enough of those elements together in the right hands and it can give people a competitive advantage. I didn't buy multiple KS packages just for the love of giving my money away...

I believe P2W is a meaningless term but buying convenience and potential advantage is real. ACE doesn't seem too against this. Hopefully they keep it mild, but compared to some other games, they definitely aren't as strict as they could be.

Edited by APE

Ok, this is good.   how do I get it?

Kickstarter Rewards: Increased bank size (20%), more character slots (1-3 extra), Forum badge skins. Wouldn't be surprised to see these show up in the store as typical convenience options. With however player storage ends up, things like 20% extra bank could be huge.

3 hours ago, Devonic said:

Ok, this is good.   how do I get it?

Believe it was reward for Kickstarter Gold and higher backers. It can be "Gifted" to other players so you could potentially trade for it. Or just wait until it most likely ends up in the store and just buy it.

19 hours ago, Zatch said:

Skins are +100 to sex appeal, obviously this is p2w and must change.

Reported for truth.

P2W is a delicate balance.  In game cosmetics that help them keep the company running are a good thing.  It's easy to make, they can sell it for a decent mark up and it makes them money needed for future game decisions. 

14 hours ago, APE said:

EKs are glorified housing, but they are supposed to house the greater CF Economy and Campaigns that support it. The bigger/better an EK be it for a player or guild, the greater potential they have to craft/trade and then import.

Yes and no. An individual player won't be able to support that large of an EK by themselves, and even a group of people will need to do all the work involved in setting up and stocking the vendors. A group who buys parcels and buildings vs a group that makes them in-game won't be significantly different.

Each campaign will have it's own economy, mostly separate from the EKs depending on import limits. Exports will become an end of campaign thing, so people will be crafting and selling in campaign to a large degree.

If you want to get technical, yes, there is a very slight advantage in one part of the game. It's also an advantage to be in a big guild vs a small guild, or to be in the largest faction. It's an advantage to have more time to play than someone else. It's an advantage to be able to buy more accounts. It will never be completely 100% fair, but what we have is more than close enough IMO.

3 hours ago, Arkade said:

If you want to get technical, yes, there is a very slight advantage in one part of the game. It's also an advantage to be in a big guild vs a small guild, or to be in the largest faction. It's an advantage to have more time to play than someone else. It's an advantage to be able to buy more accounts. It will never be completely 100% fair, but what we have is more than close enough IMO.

Well said.

At every point in ACE's development, they have turned away from P2W, or even much of the appearance of P2W when it when it really wasn't. 

The mounts for example, cost under 200 resources in game to make when we had a version of them.  They were not visual, you just ran as fast as if you were on one.

ACE noticed how much of an advantage it was for players that knew about them, and pulled them, not because they were horribly broken or hard to get, but because of the perceived advantage and problems with them on explaining to players just why the other players were so much faster.

I trust ACE to agonize over everything with a $$$ amount, to verify it's not pay to win.

On the issue of housing.  Housing does not grant an in campaign advantage that is not available through other sources.  Guilds are going to do much of the heavy lifting for those that are not into EK lego, and will have full trade EK's full of shops of wonderful things you can buy without needing one yourself. 

For example, Winterblades has been pushing a fairly well stocked EK of shops since 5.6. and your free to compete with them, and yes getting your hands on buildings and parcels will be much easier in the shop, but you can do it the crafting way as well if you don't want to spend a couple of bucks.

5 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

For example, Winterblades has been pushing a fairly well stocked EK of shops since 5.6. and your free to compete with them

You don't need to compete, you're free to add a vendor of your own to -W-'s Aerynth Traders if that's what you want to do. The only real requirement has been for you to maintain your vendor and keep it supplied.

@damebix@Winks, or any other AT organizer if you are interested.

8 hours ago, Arkade said:

A group who buys parcels and buildings vs a group that makes them in-game won't be significantly different.

Why not? Having things instantly without in-game time, effort, skill seems like a difference. Those of us that have lots of EK stuff already are many steps ahead of those that come after unless they change up how it all works.

Each campaign will have it's own economy, mostly separate from the EKs depending on import limits. Exports will become an end of campaign thing, so people will be crafting and selling in campaign to a large degree.

This is yet to be seen. ACE seems to have a vision of an EK economy going hand in hand with Campaigns depending on the ruleset. With faction and less harsh ones being more EK friendly compared to the Dregs. We are still missing a lot of details about import/export/banking/embargo and all that to know what will happen. As is, seems guilds aren't having a huge issue gearing themselves without outside trade. Once Disciplines and training aren't so easy though this might be much different though.

MMOs, especially these kind are far from fair. However someone spending more time in-game actually playing is rather different then how much money they throw at the screen. 

Players seem to go for the path of least resistance and for some that means cash. With ACE opening this up, I don't see it not becoming an issue to some degree. People already team stack in pre-alpha 🙄 

Guess for me, having a better PC, more time, larger guild, etc are more of the unavoidable variables while companies providing means for players to use cash to influence things is 100% avoidable on their part.