Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leveling sucks, how to fix

Leveling in crowfall is awful, it feels awful, it looks awful, and its purpose is awful. We need to have combat/gathering/crafting ranks in the game to give people something to work towards, and move faction pop around more equally, my team for one would willingly drop the top dog rn for more pvp if there was a point to it besides a badge. It can look something like this

Combat R1: +1% nature defense

CR2: +1% elemental defense

CR3: +1% physical defense

Gathering R1: +1 damage to all nodes

GR2: +1% crit hit chance

GR2:  +1% crit damage

Crafting R1: +1% assembly chance

CR2: +1% experimentation chance

CR3: +1% salvage chance

And if we're feeling frisky, guild ranks in some form

You can still have the sac system in place since its a core part of current leveling, just replace random items with skulls, raw mats, and crafted goods for their respective lines. You can even distinguish the strong guilds from the weaker/newer ones with gated faction and dreg campaigns, say your guild has to be under level 10 to participate in this faction campaign or over level 50 to participate in this 1 week long dreg campaign with 10,000 combat xp for the winners. I want something to work towards, and i want what i actively do to give me some bonus, if i kill 1000 players i should inherently be better at it, if i gather 100 graves i should be better at it, if i craft 30 plate chest pieces i should be better at it. This makes your old green chestplate with 1 dura valuable, your stacks of unwanted green ore from when you gathered blues, and your stacks of noob gatherer skulls worthwhile taking, can even have the skulls of high ranked players on the leaderboards be worth more to make the newer players wanna chase down powerful enemies. Its a pvp game, dont let pirate101 have a better leveling system than you.

hoayaga2.jpg

6 minutes ago, InfernusDL said:

Sucks? In 30min with a friend you can put a lvl 30 char... 

maybe on a non vessel, but you wont be lvling a rare or better from scratch that fast

i think you should gain xp toward vessels from harvesting and crafting even if its only a small amount, but current lvling of a non basic vessel is flat aids 

Edited by PAINDOTCOM
2 minutes ago, PAINDOTCOM said:

maybe on a non vessel, but you wont be lvling a rare or better from scratch that fast

i think you should gain xp toward vessels from harvesting and crafting even if its only a small amount, but current lvling of a non basic vessel is flat aids 

True, but to become a god, you will need some hard work...

7pAkg2C.png
 Facebook  Facebook Group ★ Lives & Vídeos   Crowfall BR ★

7 minutes ago, InfernusDL said:

Is that fun?  Does it add value to the game?  What are new players learning, other than everyone else is suddenly max level and they are behind?

rSHxVEY.gif

Just now, InfernusDL said:

True, but to become a god, you will need some hard work...

I mean its tested, it works, no point making it this hard for the pre-alpha.

1 minute ago, ren said:

Is that fun?  Does it add value to the game?  What are new players learning, other than everyone else is suddenly max level and they are behind?

nope not really fun at this point 

On 2/14/2019 at 12:15 PM, Staff said:

Leveling in crowfall is awful, it feels awful, it looks awful, and its purpose is awful. We need to have combat/gathering/crafting ranks in the game to give people something to work towards, and move faction pop around more equally, my team for one would willingly drop the top dog rn for more pvp if there was a point to it besides a badge. It can look something like this

Combat R1: +1% nature defense

CR2: +1% elemental defense

CR3: +1% physical defense

Gathering R1: +1 damage to all nodes

GR2: +1% crit hit chance

GR2:  +1% crit damage

Crafting R1: +1% assembly chance

CR2: +1% experimentation chance

CR3: +1% salvage chance

And if we're feeling frisky, guild ranks in some form

You can still have the sac system in place since its a core part of current leveling, just replace random items with skulls, raw mats, and crafted goods for their respective lines. You can even distinguish the strong guilds from the weaker/newer ones with gated faction and dreg campaigns, say your guild has to be under level 10 to participate in this faction campaign or over level 50 to participate in this 1 week long dreg campaign with 10,000 combat xp for the winners. I want something to work towards, and i want what i actively do to give me some bonus, if i kill 1000 players i should inherently be better at it, if i gather 100 graves i should be better at it, if i craft 30 plate chest pieces i should be better at it. This makes your old green chestplate with 1 dura valuable, your stacks of unwanted green ore from when you gathered blues, and your stacks of noob gatherer skulls worthwhile taking, can even have the skulls of high ranked players on the leaderboards be worth more to make the newer players wanna chase down powerful enemies. Its a pvp game, dont let pirate101 have a better leveling system than you.

Even in PvP would be nice to have ranks to work towards to make actual pvp enjoyable. I think again of DAOC where you had realm ranks only earned from killing or support of killing (healers) other players. They were not huge bonuses although some were mandatory like a stun/mez/root purge ability. It would have to be adjusted in CF a bit so as not to be fully abused. Again to prevent full abuse in DAOC there were diminishing returns on a player that was just killed and eventually no points so you couldn't just log in an alt and farm points. 

Anyways, great idea on original post :) 

• 7 months later...

The Necro is strong with this one.

Back in February when this was posted leveling was painful. Leveling epic & legendary vessels was absolutely brutal and pretty much required someone to carry you the whole way. High quality vessels took more XP per level, received less XP per kill, and outgrew sacrifice items and mobs much earlier. Making matters worse, either we didn't have wartribes to farm at all, or the rarer ones didn't drop piles of sacrifice items (I don't recall exactly where we were at the time), there was no loot gear to equip, sac or sell, and all leveling took place in the campaign world using the few high rank mob spawns that were available at the time.

Today things are MUCH better. An experienced player can level and gear a basic vessel off wartribes in a couple of hours without help. Leveling a rare vessel might take that experienced player a day to do solo, if he hasn't stockpiled sacrifice items using another character.

With the assumption that player training is still the reason we need to level vessels, I still question the need for leveling higher quality vessels vs augmenting the one we already have, but the process is much less painful than it was.

• 1 month later...

I feel like this game could really benefit from a more dynamic leveling system.  Every level up should grant the user one STAT boost and one PERK.  Leveling still ends at 30.

Options for STATs at any level:

- +5% reduction to tool damage
- +5% reduction to crafting time
- +25% reduction in crafting failure
- +5% chance for x2 ore drop
- +5% chance for x2 wood drop
- +5% critical chance
- +10% damage to ranged attacks

Options for PERKs at any level:

- Can now harvest Yew trees
- Can now use LVL1 recipes
- Can now double jump/float/use paraglider
- Can now climb ropes and vines
- Can now pry open doors to underground vaults
- Can now add/remove items in Account Bank
- Can now make chat box retract so you can see bottom left-hand corner of screen

If there's 100 PERKs and 100 STATs, it really encapsulates the "think about your build" mentality that this game seems to cherish.  Right now, I'm debating whether or not to waste two levels worth of points on a "dropping apples" node because there's another node behind it that reduces my harvesting tool depletion.  That's rough.

On 2/15/2019 at 10:25 AM, InfernusDL said:

When people are complaining about leveling they generally aren't complaining about leveling a basic character. I think they are more concerned about leveling the higher quality vessels.