Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ZombieGandhi

Steel Sharpens Steel: The Importance of Fighting

Recommended Posts

In the current NA campaign, if you're Order or Chaos (or maybe even Balance to some degree), there is still a lot to be gained that truly matters. Shiny badge at the end of the Trial? Unimportant. The skill score at the top of the screen? Unimportant. I understand this can be demoralizing, and it is, I will grant you. Trying to level a vessel or harvesting in a zone that's supposed to be yours, and having a roaming band of enemy foes come in and crush you kills the mood--it's happened to me several times today, so I do understand again the frustration. Let me try to convince you why you should still saddle up anyways.

 

The adage that steel sharpens steel, is that you need an equally (or greater) skilled opponent to sharpen your own skills. Say what one will about the guilds on Balance, but I think it's fair to say they have a solid grasp on how to play, and what compositions work, and where they work. I know Chaos has these guilds too. So let me tell you about TRA's night tonight.

 

1.) We tried a bit of a meme strategy (which we will refine and return to the battlefield), which rather completely failed. 

 

2.) We took a more standard approach, by snagging a fort and waiting, inviting some fine Balance guests to come visit. They did, and we died.

 

3.) Running around the maps, we stumbled up some Balance bois again, and again, died. 

 

So why tell you about a night of combat losses? As it's often said, you learn more in a loss, than a win--and tonight we did. We learned what in our composition worked, and what doesn't work--perhaps more importantly, we gained a greater understanding of where it did, and where it doesn't work. We learned strength and weakness of what we brought to the field. We gained insight into us as players, and how we each need to improve in various aspects. Tonight's losses are going to make us better players, and a better guild. 

 

So if you're a guild, no matter your size, and you look at the score, I invite you to ignore it. The shiny token at the end of the rainbow? Ignore it. Use your gold, buy some non-basic white materials at the temple merchants if your guild is hurting on resources, and gear up. Get firsthand knowledge of what classes work well together. Let other people in your guild shot call. Try new compositions.

 

Most importantly, I suppose, is have FUN. I know that three letter word is a four letter word around these parts, but it really is important. If your guild is feeling the doom-and-gloom, go have a meme night. Do something a little silly. Not finding someone to fight is not going to make you any better. Gear up, get on your comms, and go bloody the soil. Even if you get rolled like we did, I will guarantee you--you will learn something, you'll get in good fights, and you might even have fun. 

 

So take heart! If you're on Order, come fight with us! If you're not on Order, I'll sure you'll be fighting us soon enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ZombieGandhi said:

In the current NA campaign, if you're Order or Chaos (or maybe even Balance to some degree), there is still a lot to be gained that truly matters. Shiny badge at the end of the Trial? Unimportant. The skill score at the top of the screen? Unimportant. I understand this can be demoralizing, and it is, I will grant you. Trying to level a vessel or harvesting in a zone that's supposed to be yours, and having a roaming band of enemy foes come in and crush you kills the mood--it's happened to me several times today, so I do understand again the frustration. Let me try to convince you why you should still saddle up anyways.

 

The adage that steel sharpens steel, is that you need an equally (or greater) skilled opponent to sharpen your own skills. Say what one will about the guilds on Balance, but I think it's fair to say they have a solid grasp on how to play, and what compositions work, and where they work. I know Chaos has these guilds too. So let me tell you about TRA's night tonight.

 

1.) We tried a bit of a meme strategy (which we will refine and return to the battlefield), which rather completely failed. 

 

2.) We took a more standard approach, by snagging a fort and waiting, inviting some fine Balance guests to come visit. They did, and we died.

 

3.) Running around the maps, we stumbled up some Balance bois again, and again, died. 

 

So why tell you about a night of combat losses? As it's often said, you learn more in a loss, than a win--and tonight we did. We learned what in our composition worked, and what doesn't work--perhaps more importantly, we gained a greater understanding of where it did, and where it doesn't work. We learned strength and weakness of what we brought to the field. We gained insight into us as players, and how we each need to improve in various aspects. Tonight's losses are going to make us better players, and a better guild. 

 

So if you're a guild, no matter your size, and you look at the score, I invite you to ignore it. The shiny token at the end of the rainbow? Ignore it. Use your gold, buy some non-basic white materials at the temple merchants if your guild is hurting on resources, and gear up. Get firsthand knowledge of what classes work well together. Let other people in your guild shot call. Try new compositions.

 

Most importantly, I suppose, is have FUN. I know that three letter word is a four letter word around these parts, but it really is important. If your guild is feeling the doom-and-gloom, go have a meme night. Do something a little silly. Not finding someone to fight is not going to make you any better. Gear up, get on your comms, and go bloody the soil. Even if you get rolled like we did, I will guarantee you--you will learn something, you'll get in good fights, and you might even have fun. 

 

So take heart! If you're on Order, come fight with us! If you're not on Order, I'll sure you'll be fighting us soon enough. 

im a solo/small group player on balance 3 people at most, and after getting this shiny gold badge i will be swapping factions to whoever has the least players. This campaign i decided to learn confessor and made a blue vessel with green armor and a blue book all mats i gathered/traded myself and with the help of some friendly crafters made a formidable character, and testing what discs work, how to properly use the confessors inherent advantages to my own and avoid its pitfalls has been incredibly fun and while ive certainly been beat up by players i outgeared at first i can feel my progress with it vastly grow each day with the 1Vxs in particular teaching the most, but i want more fights and balance isnt giving me that, so assuming order stays the least populated ill be joining you on the battlefield as soon as this campaign is over, a shiny reward is nice and all but the fights, the successful 1v4's and the zerg escapes, and the completely embarrassing cliff falls mid fight are what make the game fun, not a shiny gold badge that will probably be nothing more then a low tier accessory on live after a month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like this kind of attitude Zombie and look forward to some more fights with you guys. I'm always willing to share any experience and thoughts. I have had a number of great conversations with Order lately regarding build ideas and theory crafting. I want to work with people so that we can all continue to get those PvP fights that we enjoy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

custard friendship!

Get some quality of life done. Fix the servers. Get the EK's so that I can get more than 12 people in there. 

I will get back to equipping chaos when it is less of a god damn chore.

Or hopefully others will step up and fill the role, and I will not be needed as much and that would make it less of a chore as well.  

Some of us have been banging heads against poor systems for every day for 2-3 years+

It wears upon you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, srathor said:

custard friendship!

Get some quality of life done. Fix the servers. Get the EK's so that I can get more than 12 people in there. 

I will get back to equipping chaos when it is less of a god damn chore.

Or hopefully others will step up and fill the role, and I will not be needed as much and that would make it less of a chore as well.  

Some of us have been banging heads against poor systems for every day for 2-3 years+

It wears upon you. 

 

I look forward to you equipping me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure the experience has varied for others, but harvesting/leveling hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  The campaign is still going, so we'll power through, get into scuffles and sacrifice our bodies in the name of getting better.  

Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 3:20 AM, Staff said:

im a solo/small group player on balance 3 people at most, and after getting this shiny gold badge i will be swapping factions to whoever has the least players. This campaign i decided to learn confessor and made a blue vessel with green armor and a blue book all mats i gathered/traded myself and with the help of some friendly crafters made a formidable character, and testing what discs work, how to properly use the confessors inherent advantages to my own and avoid its pitfalls has been incredibly fun and while ive certainly been beat up by players i outgeared at first i can feel my progress with it vastly grow each day with the 1Vxs in particular teaching the most, but i want more fights and balance isnt giving me that, so assuming order stays the least populated ill be joining you on the battlefield as soon as this campaign is over, a shiny reward is nice and all but the fights, the successful 1v4's and the zerg escapes, and the completely embarrassing cliff falls mid fight are what make the game fun, not a shiny gold badge that will probably be nothing more then a low tier accessory on live after a month

LoL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, firstworldpotato said:

I'm sure the experience has varied for others, but harvesting/leveling hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  The campaign is still going, so we'll power through, get into scuffles and sacrifice our bodies in the name of getting better.  

Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain

Love some Wheel of Time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Staff said:

darksun angry, darksun no like you use different blacksmith, darksun zerg smaller player group

Not looking to take over Zombies post. But we both know you aren't looking for good PvP, hence why you went Balance. Just funny you act differently on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Darksun_ said:

Not looking to take over Zombies post. But we both know you aren't looking for good PvP, hence why you went Balance. Just funny you act differently on here.

you already did, and youre right i dont want good pvp, i wanna zerg down 3 chaos newbies with the winterblades and hoa zerg, thats why you see me out solo roaming everyday 2000 iq darksun stop being salty i found a better smith and let things go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The importance of playing a game that isn't finished is to test and provide data.

When I have the audacity to leave my gate parcel and get killed 6 times in a row in death shroud by the same guy who probably isn't level 12 in white gear like I am, I learn to do something else with my evening.

I hope that ACE gets this data and incorporates it to make the game flourish upon launch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...