Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tooltip

Balance: 2.5mill | Order & Chaos: 500k

2 hours ago, Gaulwa said:

There's also a few fundamentals between a classic Heroic Fantasy and EvE.

In EvE, if you feel you are in danger, you always have a good chance to escape with your loot. You can emergency warp, scramble your positions while they are scanning for your new position, and hopefully you can make it to one of the gates or stations. In crowfall, you get ganked with no chance to escape (Exception of OP classes).

EvE Online also have a massively large universe. A small group can claim an isolated system and thrive there. In Crowfall, it is difficult to hide out of the way, the good resources are already rare, and usually around keeps.

If you cannot get out of the way, and if you have no chance to survive, it makes things more difficult for smaller groups to thrive.

In shadowbane all i played was Counting coup with my thief. I would steal stuff and run away. Even in fantasy, you don't always have to play the honorable knight that dies for honor.

Blackfeather.png

17 minutes ago, zenasprime said:

In shadowbane all i played was Counting coup with my thief. I would steal stuff and run away. Even in fantasy, you don't always have to play the honorable knight that dies for honor.

I never mentioned any knights or honorable play.

Crowfall offers no thieves and only limited stealth. If you were harvesting when a group runs toward you with mounts, your chances to escape and keep your loots are almost null. This was not so the case on EvE.

3 minutes ago, Gaulwa said:

I never mentioned any knights or honorable play.

Crowfall offers no thieves and only limited stealth. If you were harvesting when a group runs toward you with mounts, your chances to escape and keep your loots are almost null. This was not so the case on EvE.

I am still hoping they'll add a Thief discipline. Its certainly possible, and they've hinted at it before.

Q: Will there be peek and steal abilities, similar to those used by the Thief class in Shadowbane?

A (Gordon): The design team loves this mechanic/idea, but there is not a definitive plan to have it in the core module release.

A (Todd): One of my best friends is CONSTANTLY retelling me war stories about the times he would hide and corpse loot with his Aracoix in Shadowbane. Seriously, he has told me the same stories DOZENS of times, and he seems to think I've never heard it before. He will kill me if we don't put that kind of mechanic in Crowfall.

Discipline_Thief.png

IhhQKY6.gif

1 hour ago, Jah said:

I am still hoping they'll add a Thief discipline. Its certainly possible, and they've hinted at it before.

Discipline_Thief.png

If only they would implement an Aracoix type race and provide a thief discipline. I'd roll up Blackfeather in a heartbeat.

And yes, to this day, I'm always sharing my exploits as a shadowbane thief with my gaming friends.

Edited by zenasprime

Blackfeather.png

Just now, zenasprime said:

If only they would implement an Aracoix type race and provide a thief discipline. I'd roll up Blackfeather in a heartbeat.

Fae is pretty close. You want that bird head though?

IhhQKY6.gif

I would prefer Centaur suicide-bomber Crusader :)

I also remember having groups of flying channelers and using a single wizard to teleport everyone above enemies, dropping all spells and teleporting back.

Were-rat scouts, throwing-daggers forgemasters, thorn damage barbarians... there were so many ways to build a character. I do feel Crowfall lack the craziness Shadowbane had. There is hardly any emergent gameplay.

39 minutes ago, Jah said:

Fae is pretty close. You want that bird head though?

Indeed.

Was Jah the greatsword nephlim thief of fame or was that someone else?

Edited by zenasprime

Blackfeather.png

56 minutes ago, zenasprime said:

Indeed.

Yes, I am still waiting for greatswords on assassins and my thief discipline! Character size scaling off strength too!

IhhQKY6.gif

1 hour ago, Jah said:

Yes, I am still waiting for greatswords on assassins and my thief discipline! Character size scaling off strength too!

I didn't have a greatsword thief but I did have a nephilim two handed sword thief. I don't remember if that means he was strength build or not.

ShadowbaneNephilimSwordThief.jpg

Blackfeather.png

3 hours ago, Gaulwa said:

Were-rat scouts, throwing-daggers forgemasters, thorn damage barbarians... there were so many ways to build a character. I do feel Crowfall lack the craziness Shadowbane had. There is hardly any emergent gameplay.

++++ This!

5 hours ago, zenasprime said:

I loved hunting down thieves.  All I played were scouts, support assassins and Doomsayers. All support, no dmg. 

3 hours ago, zenasprime said:

Indeed.

Ugh don’t make him think he’s famous. 

7 minutes ago, excellz said:

++++ This!

Most of the wonky off the beaten path characters in Shadowbane were trash.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

5 hours ago, Jah said:

Discipline_Thief.png

I still don’t know how pickpocket is a passive

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ 

Edited by mandalore

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

8 hours ago, mandalore said:

Famous among thieves then. ;)

There was this other Thief player, very early on, who actually inspired me to roll a thief. I forget his name but he took me under his wing and taught me how to thief. He would write about his adventures on the forums, one of which involved stealing from Hing players.

Also, I once ran into a bunch of the SB developers at a conference or convention and they totally knew about my Blackfeather character. That was pretty fun to find out. Famous! ;)

To get back on topic, there were ways in SB to play the game as a solo player that (and it's this way in Eve as well), where you could exist and thrive in a world dominated by large powerful organizations and still have fun. I think that it's going to be important for Crowfall to provide those opportunities as well. Someone mentioned emergent gameplay through oddball character specs, which I think is something that shouldn't be overlooked.

Edited by zenasprime

Blackfeather.png

17 hours ago, mandalore said:

I loved hunting down thieves.  All I played were scouts, support assassins and Doomsayers. All support, no dmg. 

Most of the wonky off the beaten path characters in Shadowbane were trash.  

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Or something like that.

Variation in gameplay inherently means something is going to be suboptimal.

7 hours ago, excellz said:

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Or something like that.

Variation in gameplay inherently means something is going to be suboptimal.

Organized min/max spec groups are preferred.  Playing the candy trash you want might be fun but winning is probably more fun.  

wiDfyPp.png

On 2/22/2019 at 10:14 PM, mandalore said:

I still don’t know how pickpocket is a passive

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ 

I once heard a description of how that might work. I forget where it came from. If you have the passive slotted you would be able to F to interact with an enemy to Pickpocket.

IhhQKY6.gif

7 hours ago, mandalore said:

Organized min/max spec groups are preferred.  Playing the candy trash you want might be fun but winning is probably more fun.   

Winning is only fun if there is a real possibility of losing. Also, failure is the best teacher. Finally, I'd rather play a game and be outclassed every single time then be thrown into a situation where the experience is static and mediocre. Maybe it's not for everyone, but being the underdog is a preferable scenario to me than being the expected winner.

This is probably why I'm more interested in playing the "candy trash" as you put it. Min/Maxing generally has zero appeal to me.

Blackfeather.png

7 hours ago, Jah said:

I once heard a description of how that might work. I forget where it came from. If you have the passive slotted you would be able to F to interact with an enemy to Pickpocket.

So it basically opens up the interaction between players where that normally doesn't exist?

Blackfeather.png