Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

A Tasty Update - Official discussion thread

The biggest change that you’ll notice though is that some of those specialty food ingredient items that you could only find on a vendor, like coffee beans, rice, and potatoes, will now be loot drops and potentially found items scattered throughout the world. This specific change will tie in nicely with our next update in many different ways and I am so eager to see how our community embraces it overall.

🤔 

Can we get some racial themed food?  Would be fun to see some elvish themed cuisine for the filthy humans to illegally consume.  Some hay for the horse people.  

This post was paid for by "Mandalore for Emulated CF Community Manager 2032™". 

wiDfyPp.png

Urban's Brew Alcohol Recipe, race affected

All brews restore 5 food.

Half Elf: Whiskey

"A Hard Drink for a hard life"

+1% to all mitigations

Wood Elf: Mead

"No Drop Sweeter than Gaea's own reserve"

+3% out of combat movement speed

High Elf: Champagne

"Only a savage would drink it right away. Save it for a special occasion."

+2% feast buff duration.

Fae: Nectar

"Deceptively sweet, Surprisingly dangerous."

+5 stealth

Half Giant: Beer

"Battle Fuel! I'll have six!"

+100 max HP

Minotaur: Swill

"Brutal, yet efficient."

+2 minimum weapon damage

Elken: Brandy

"Warmth for the coldest trail and the longest hunt."

Resistance to hunger shards

Guinecian: Gin

"Classy, right?"

+1 experimentation (all)

Centaur: Wine

"A Toast! To Victory!"

Deathblows do not require an axe, these deathblows do not produce a skull.

Stoneborne: Ale

"From hearth to table."

+1 Assembly (all)

Nethari: Flask of Pure Water

"Pure as Arkon's gaze, without a trace of sin."

+1 minute duration to crafted consumables (counts as water)

Human: Mostly Empty Flask

"Looks used"

+12 food restore to crafted consumables (counts as a flask)

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

The art for the food items are nice.

While complexity is good, please remember that sometimes we need simplicity too.  I love the variety, but could it be made simpler with just one recipe being used instead of make "A", then "B" then combine?  The system for crafting armor seems so much simpler than for crafting food, and I feel like it's due to the base ingredients we start with while cooking; thus my suggestion, make cooking complex by needing lots of ingredients or having lots of variety, but make the cooking process simpler by making the actual recipe a 1 step process.

Just saying Why is Alchemy not been given the same treatment as food that requires 0 skill? All these buffs would normally be regulated to Alchemy in any other game. While im glad that more stuff is being added .. Why is alchemy the skill that is forgotten? You mind as well do away with the skill completely roll ambrosia into a food product and put philosopher stones in necromancy....

14 minutes ago, dolmar said:

Just saying Why is Alchemy not been given the same treatment as food that requires 0 skill? All these buffs would normally be regulated to Alchemy in any other game. While im glad that more stuff is being added .. Why is alchemy the skill that is forgotten? You mind as well do away with the skill completely roll ambrosia into a food product and put philosopher stones in necromancy....

Valid point. Alchemy contains a very small set of highly potent buffs, and food contains a much larger selection of more varied? Less potent buffs.

To more clearly define the roles of both lines, and express that alchemy is a primarily skill based line:

Straight buffs: cooking

Leave the harvesting buffs in both as the stacking interaction makes both valuable.

Alchemy: In addition to necromancy mats, allow alchemists to:

Transmute materials at a loss related to experimentation success. For instance "transmute metal" recipe that takes a 100 stack and a 1 stack, the resulting item being the metal type in the 1 stack in a stack size equal to the resulting experiment % This would allow a skilled, geared, alchemists with enough dust to get pretty high return rates while still ensuring transmutation is less efficient than straight harvesting. This would also make alchemists key economic litigators against bad resource spawn rolls or losing good resource territory.

Proc, lifestyle, thorns, perception, farsight, stealth, disguise, and other effect potions. These can even overlap (and stack with) food buffs, but require more material and can be experimented upon for potency, duration, and other key stats. This means food remains valuable (because it stacks with alchemy buffs) and accessible (because it requires no skills) but positions alchemists as the skilled craftsmen of the buff world capable of extreme "magical" effects outside the realm of cooking.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

11 minutes ago, dolmar said:

Alchemy is used for crafting items, if it gives buffs not accessible to everybody then it becomes the de facto pvp skill.  These food items are easily made by most players. 

Not to say alchemy doesn't need a hard look at it in what it does but if you make any of the crafting time sinks give unique buffs they become required in the meta. 

wiDfyPp.png

3 minutes ago, mandalore said:

Alchemy is used for crafting items, if it gives buffs not accessible to everybody then it becomes the de facto pvp skill.  These food items are easily made by most players. 

Not to say alchemy doesn't need a hard look at it in what it does but if you make any of the crafting time sinks give unique buffs they become required in the meta. 

Swords are required in the meta but only blacksmiths make swords. Your argument is invalid.

PopeSigGIF.gif

2 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Swords are required in the meta but only blacksmiths make swords. Your argument is invalid.

If alchemy had unique buffs for pvp, like food does, but only a few could access it then pvp accounts would pick it up.  That blacksmith isn't getting a bonus for using a sword he can just make it.  If alchemy had powerful PVP buffs, something none of the time based crafting trees have, then it would be far more powerful than the others.  There is a reason none of the exploration or harvesting trees impact combat:  they aren't supposed to be used for combat. 

wiDfyPp.png

7 minutes ago, mandalore said:

If alchemy had unique buffs for pvp, like food does, but only a few could access it then pvp accounts would pick it up.  That blacksmith isn't getting a bonus for using a sword he can just make it.  If alchemy had powerful PVP buffs, something none of the time based crafting trees have, then it would be far more powerful than the others.  There is a reason none of the exploration or harvesting trees impact combat:  they aren't supposed to be used for combat. 

You're basically saying "if people can make gear then it's too powerful"

All of the armor, weapon, and jewelry crafting trees affect combat. Their results are tradable. Their products are consumable.

Alchemy buffs are no different aside from the method by which they're consumed.

PopeSigGIF.gif

1 hour ago, PopeUrban said:

All of the armor, weapon, and jewelry crafting trees affect combat. Their results are tradable. Their products are consumable.

Major difference in their duration.

1 hour ago, PopeUrban said:

You're basically saying "if people can make gear then it's too powerful"

24 minutes ago, moneda said:

Major difference in their duration.

The missing link is an effective economy. The SWG meta took gear, doc buffs, entertainer buffs, and food buffs. All were exclusively profession sourced, but all were easily accessible through a functional economy.

CF has the tools for us to build an economy, and it's beginning to recover from the last wipe. Assuming that growth continues and accessibility improves, I don't see making more items mandatory in the meta as a bad thing.

Wow, you all have lots of good ideas! Keep them coming!

3 hours ago, dolmar said:

I also wanted to pop in and comment on this. I know it sounds like alchemy is a lost art we haven't given any consideration to, but it's on my radar! I don't have solid dates or much other info that pertains specifically to alchemy just yet, but please know it's on my list of tasks to take on. Food items were a lot easier to create and come up with since there aren't any skill dependencies; Alchemy is a whole other beast entirely and I want to give it the proper amount of time necessary to create useful recipes that tie into our crafting flow properly. 

3 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Proc, lifestyle, thorns, perception, farsight, stealth, disguise, and other effect potions. These can even overlap (and stack with) food buffs, but require more material and can be experimented upon for potency, duration, and other key stats. This means food remains valuable (because it stacks with alchemy buffs) and accessible (because it requires no skills) but positions alchemists as the skilled craftsmen of the buff world capable of extreme "magical" effects outside the realm of cooking.

This. This right here is my ideal plan. Will it happen? I sure hope so. Will it happen within the next update? Probably not, but I'm trying my best to get some more fun things out there to vary up buffs, procs, and make alchemy sexy again.

I love the idea of transmuting stacks of things; I just don't know if it's doable at the moment. Let me do some more digging and see, but no promises. 

9 minutes ago, vkromas said:

Food items were a lot easier to create and come up with since there aren't any skill dependencies; Alchemy is a whole other beast entirely and I want to give it the proper amount of time necessary to create useful recipes that tie into our crafting flow properly. 

Just thinking out loud but some of the more exotic cooking recipes could get moved into alchemy once you are able to address the skill dependencies.

Edited by VaMei