Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

At the very core of this is competition and strife.  We are intended to go to war with each other.  We are intended to smash the hard work other people have put into the game.  That creates a certain atmosphere that is then directly contradicted by the policies of the forums.  You want us to talk about the game but we aren’t actually allowed to talk about what’s happening in the game.  When the dregs comes along and people have to build their own keeps from their own farmed resources and they feel somebody has wrongly taken their assets what happens?  They can’t come to the boards.  You want a game of thrones game but deny us the mediums to be able to do it.  We need a forum subsection to talk about what’s going on.  It needs less rules but still reasonable.  I shouldn’t be able to make personal attacks or call somebody racial slurs or threaten them but I should be able to call their guild out on behavior the community finds less than savory.  We also need a general chat so we can talk to each other in game.  

I understand the nuances of whats happened and a repeat offender getting in trouble is one thing.  If I get banned tomorrow because I call somebody an idiot then I deserve it because well it’s not my first time.  All of that is irrelevant to the fact that the community still has no medium to actually talk about what’s happening in the game with out fear of getting in trouble for it. 

When I talk to my friends about CF two things always come up.

1.  That’s the game with poorly made socks performance you keep talking about right?

(This improves with every patch and is visibly noticeable.)

2.  That’s Shadowbane with out the forums right?  

(As a dev you might hate it but a lot of your community loved it and it made the game feel alive.)

I rather like the interactions I’ve had with the mod team.  I’ve never dealt with a team as responsive and reasonable.  You obviously have a rough job.  You obviously care about the community.  Give us what we need to make the game better for us.  

This post was paid for by "Mandalore for Emulated CF Community Manager 2032™". 

wiDfyPp.png

I have yet to see a post thread that I felt was over the top. I mean,  CF is +18 game, and for anyone who really uses the interwebs can see that things here are pretty tame as far as human behaviour is concerned.

The last few days have the most interesting threads I have seen around here for months! Sure, there was a lot of pointing fingers, a bit more heated debate. But hey, this is a PvP game. We cant exactly be allowed kill , decapitate each other, maybe do a silly dance atop each other bodies ingame then be expected to act like gentlemen here.

To be fair we are more like a bunch of drunk men/women. We might curse each other, we might point fingers, we might even fight it out in the cold floor. But come morning we will get over it. No hard feelings. That was a nice punch, lets do it again tomorrow.

I didnt play SB. But I could finally catch a glimpse of the politics it had going. I liked what I saw.

1 hour ago, mandalore said:

We need a forum subsection to talk about what’s going on.

Saga: The Trial of Malekai?

I gotta say though... from what I've experienced so far of the political theatre of some former SB players... it's weak as baby poorly made socks and we don't need it.

We also need a general chat so we can talk to each other in game.  

"/join General" still works AFAIK.

I see no reason for them to provide this "medium" to poop talk one another. Players and Guilds have several mediums available to them already; Discords being chief among them. If the need arises for a separate location, the community will provide it. Lowering the quality of the official Crowfall forums just to allow some to amuse themselves with forumbane is hardly a necessity.

25 minutes ago, bear said:

you can't say poorly made socks on these forums? 

My mom even said poorly made socks.

Lol, did you think so many people here were actually discussing the state of under garments for their feet and whipped sweet dairy desert? The forum would rather we custard poorly made socks and leave it at that.

😉

The "poorly made socks" filter was here before I was. So many people are used to it that they just automatically type the phrase instead of the one word that triggers it. heh

Our forum rules and our stance on those rules is firmly set. There are no plans to change them. We highly encourage players to set up community outlets where they can say whatever they wish. Lots of community members have mentioned that they had plans in the works to create a "Crowbane" forum, there's already an unofficial Discord with a big population of players. I stay away from it because I feel it's really important for the community to have its own space to run amok without us peeking through the keyhole. 

I feel like a broken record repeating this over and over again, so this is going to be the last time (at least for a while). If you have specific questions about specific rules or policies HMU. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

1 hour ago, Pann said:

The "poorly made socks" filter was here before I was. So many people are used to it that they just automatically type the phrase instead of the one word that triggers it. heh

Our forum rules and our stance on those rules is firmly set. There are no plans to change them. We highly encourage players to set up community outlets where they can say whatever they wish. Lots of community members have mentioned that they had plans in the works to create a "Crowbane" forum, there's already an unofficial Discord with a big population of players. I stay away from it because I feel it's really important for the community to have its own space to run amok without us peeking through the keyhole. 

I feel like a broken record repeating this over and over again, so this is going to be the last time (at least for a while). If you have specific questions about specific rules or policies HMU. 

the problem with the community forums is the lack of trust most of us have with someone running the forum and getting IP addresses and other information.

28 minutes ago, gracen said:

the problem with the community forums is the lack of trust most of us have with someone running the forum and getting IP addresses and other information.

To be clear you mean non-ace employees have access to stuff like that and not ace employees right?? I might have read that wrong.

This post was paid for by "Mandalore for Emulated CF Community Manager 2032™". 

wiDfyPp.png

To be clear you mean non-ace employees have access to stuff like that and not ace employees right?? I might have read that wrong.

I am speaking about a forum outside of official ACE forums that is run by the community would have this access. If ACE managed this then I would be more acceptable of the position and use of the forums but they have explained they do not want to manage this forum which leaves the players homeless and yet people are getting banned for in-game messages too. Starting to get frustrated to be honest.

ACE has no interest in loosening their moderation policy, and I believe it'll ultimately be to their detriment, but that's OK. People are just wrong sometimes. It's totally possible we who'd prefer looser moderation are wrong instead, I'd say. Not a 100% clear issue.

Apart from the discord server, perhaps the solution lies in the recently developed chrome extension "Dissenter"? It has some pretty clear advantages over a community forum hosted elsewhere, which will run into the usual coordination problem when starting up. It may not catch on either of course, but I think it'd have a better shot than any 'elsewhere' forum.

Technically it'd all still be happening on the same forums we're on now, URL wise, but would be completely unmoderatable and with no possible reprecussions by ACE, as they have no way to verify the identity of any commenters on Dissenter. I could simply post a comment posing as mandalore right now spouting every racial slur in the book, for example. You could make a thread about <HATED GUILD>, and make the post on these forums filled with only G-rated praise; the Dissenter 'mirror' would contain the real, assumedly vitriolic post. Hopefully this post is not itsself against the rules, but I figure it's pretty much like hosting a community forum elsewhere except more streamlined and effective in every way. It effectively just makes the controversial stuff 'opt-in'.