Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ble

Zone Caps

45 minutes ago, blazzen said:

A cap where no faction can have more than 50% of a zone is better than 33/33/33 IMO. 

So you'd have 50/25/25, 50/50/0, etc. 

This 50% cap could work in the dregs also. Make it so the defending guild gets 50% of the cap, attacking guild gets 50% of the cap, and if space is needed then it kicks non-participating parties from the zone and puts them into a queue that either lets them wait it out or port back to beachhead (similar to what happens if you try to log in to a zone that is full currently). 

The dregs rule of attackers/defenders could apply to the faction campaigns also. The faction that owns the keep (defenders) could get 50% of the cap and everyone else gets the other 50%. For the most part you can assume the attackers will sorta team up on the defenders anyways or at the very least attack from opposite sides of the keep. This would work in 3 faction campaigns and all the way up to 12 faction campaigns. 

Ideally they fix performance enough that zone caps aren't even an issue but it's not a bad idea to have a solid backup plan. I think the 50% rule would work well for both guilds and faction based campaigns. 

If zone caps can be avoided they should be avoided.  Since zone caps are a performance issue then I wouldn’t waste time or money trying to balance zone caps.  If the game launches and it’s got a zone cap meta it’s going to be bad for the game. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

12 minutes ago, Ble said:

The zone caps really undermine the game.  I think they know that.  For me personally, if they don’t have a fix soon, I’ll probably step away till they do.  I do not enjoy the counter-cap play at all.

i dont think their servers can handle it. they need to put more time into that than anything. hard to grow a player base and test a game when 200 people on at the same time breaks the game for a descent % of the players. 

10 hours ago, Andius said:

I've missed 2 siege days this campaign but there was the fight the time we went on offense and left no defenders, there was the two fights when we took two keeps the day after, and there was the fight yesterday where we crushed the balance that pushed into our keep that I can remember off the top of my head.

Chaos on a whole has been overly cautious since we made the mistake of taking everyone off defense and losing that first keep. I wouldn't mind to see some bolder tactics but I'm glad we've learned from the mistakes that cost us our keep that first night.

i think overly cautious is an understatement. i dont understand the fear of playing the game....its pre-alpha who cares if you get wiped or lose some stuff. always the threat of the devs wiping your stuff anyway (apparently happening soonish). and definitely not going to get any better hiding in the keep.

Take away /who so we can’t get an accurate count. Put each faction cap at 50% of the hard zone cap (50/100 or 60/120 or 75/150). Remove respawning at runegates and force respawning at the Temple if your faction fails to control a respawn point in the zone. Don’t allow defenders to respawn in the Keep if they die on the Keep parcel. Set the que for entering a full zone so that it rotates between factions (allowing 1 of each as the slots becme available). Then let the chips fall where they may.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, oneply said:

i dont think their servers can handle it. they need to put more time into that than anything. hard to grow a player base and test a game when 200 people on at the same time breaks the game for a descent % of the players. 

i think overly cautious is an understatement. i dont understand the fear of playing the game....its pre-alpha who cares if you get wiped or lose some stuff. always the threat of the devs wiping your stuff anyway (apparently happening soonish). and definitely not going to get any better hiding in the keep.

I think risks are very worth taking at this stage of the game but I also thing if we aren't trying to win we aren't learning how to win. So we should be attempting to balance bold plays with plays that allow us to defend our keep. After all, keeps are very important crafting/economy points so it seems that any viable faction wants to keep at least on in their control at all times.

But you're absolutely right that ultimately, if we do lose our keep, it doesn't mean much at this point in time. So a bold push with maybe a light defense wouldn't be a terrible thing to try as long as we think that defensive force we leave behind actually has a shot at holding our keep. That was the problem the first day when we let Balance take all three keeps. There was no chance of defending our keep with what we left behind so best case scenario we would have traded one keep for another offering no real strategic advantage from just going full defense on our own keep.

Really though, if Chaos were serious about winning this campaign (which we don't seem to be) I think it would be smarter to focus on forts and outposts than keeps. I don't think we can win the fight for the keeps. Balance is just much stronger than us at blob fights. We could win the fight for the greater map if we were more motivated to do so as whole however. But doing so would mean me asking "Who wants to go cap stuff?" would be greeted with more than silence 90% of the time I ask that question.

Partially though, I can't blame people for not caring as little reward as they receive for capping things. It doesn't stop me from caring but I understand why most people don't. Hopefully the devs see how little people care about standing on points and endeavor to make it a more rewarding (and less tedious) process.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

15 hours ago, Andius said:

But doing so would mean me asking "Who wants to go cap stuff?" would be greeted with more than silence 90% of the time I ask that question.

Instead ask if anyone wants to go pick a fight. Capping is sometimes apart of getting their attention to create that fight. 

56 minutes ago, oneply said:

Instead ask if anyone wants to go pick a fight. Capping is sometimes apart of getting their attention to create that fight. 

I suppose. Managing expectations is important though. When you ask who wants to go pick a fight people may get cranky when you want to take the group of 5 people you have, ignore the 40 stack of balance, and go cap somewhere else. When it's clear the objective is to put points on the board then people might get less cranky about playing smart rather than smashing your head into a wall over and over for the sake of "PvPz".

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Just now, Andius said:

40 stack of balance

And thats just my alts...

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

2 hours ago, Andius said:

I suppose. Managing expectations is important though. When you ask who wants to go pick a fight people may get cranky when you want to take the group of 5 people you have, ignore the 40 stack of balance, and go cap somewhere else. When it's clear the objective is to put points on the board then people might get less cranky about playing smart rather than smashing your head into a wall over and over for the sake of "PvPz".

Zerging isn’t PvP. And I honestly only really encounter those zergs near siege time. Most time when a small group of us are out we only find other small groups (less than 10).