Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vicid

Grabing/placing. Also Dead Bodies.

My guildmates were talking about bodies in this game.  Obviously when someone dies they will be lootable - so does this mean their body will exist for some time?  Eventually they will fade out and loot boxes or gravestones or something will replace them, but those will be physical items as well right?

Well anyway we were thinking "what if we plugged a hole in the wall with bodies?"

So that brings me to the main point of this thread: do you think we'll see the ability to grab and place items in the world?  What sort of benifits would we see from this sort of mechanic?  In my mind I see dragging a dead comrade to a safe place to be resurected, or clearing out a trench of exess debris, or simply moving earth.  Heck, moving siege ladders too.  Unlimited possibilities.

A lot of games with good physics engines have had something similar.  HL2, Fallout3/other Bethesda RPGs.

I don't want to sound like I'm over-reaching, but just about every speculative thread I've had about physics has had their ideas confirmed... so... yeah.  Continuing to speculate!

Yeah that got me thinking: how long will bodies (or loot boxes) be lootable?  If someone dies when a mine colapses or a wall falls, perhaps their body will be buried for quite some time.

Why not leave bodies lootable on the ground forever even after there's nothing left to take? If the Campaign is going to be destroyed eventually anyway whats the downside of leaving them there, you could even make mass graves but that kind of requires the picking things up system or atleast a push/pull type deal. Maybe some sort of corpse explosion spell could be incorporated.

Edited by Khromix

Bodies? Alright, can i just address the fact that this game is seemingly "Minecraft-based". In Minecraft,  do you stuff your house's walls with your friends' bodies? Is your house being freakin' supported by  your cousin's spine? Honestly, "Plug up a hole in the wall with bodies". WHAT. Mind as well just make an ENTIRE wall out of the corpses of your dead enemies and comrades. 

"The enemies took down the North Wall!!"

"Hold on, Nick's pelvis just got knocked down  from the tower...."

Why not leave bodies lootable on the ground forever even after there's nothing left to take? If the Campaign is going to be destroyed eventually anyway whats the downside of leaving them there, you could even make mass graves but that kind of requires the picking things up system or atleast a push/pull type deal. Maybe some sort of corpse explosion spell could be incorporated.

After every battle...

3qivyQR.gif

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Will we be able to quickly spam our Sit Down/Stand Up hotkeys on top of the bodies though? That's the most important question.

Yes, because the first thing-FIRST thing I think of when  I see this game is defeating an enemy and plopping down right on their body and having a good ol' time hearing their spine shatter. 

i think it would be cool if you could carry bodies away to a safe place away from the fighting to loot it, it would probably be a lot of work to make things like boxes and stones etc carryable, but maybe they could do this for bodies

Will we be able to quickly spam our Sit Down/Stand Up hotkeys on top of the bodies though? That's the most important question.

I love a good tea bagging as much as the next corpse.

I really would love to see bodies with CD. Needing to climb over dead bodies on the ground would add a whole new feel to combat in larger battles, even if they are easily walked over when it is just one body high. Also, the ability to create a wall of corpses would be amazing if not extremely grotesque. I might puke while making my body wall... but I guess we needed some mortar anyway.

While forever bodies would be kind of good there a few a points I'd like to make that I think everyone should consider when suggesting any ideas:

1 - Is it going to be or could it result in excessive server resource use?

Example using the forever body idea, while a few dozen or even a few hundred bodies littered around the place might not tax a server very much it could result in excessive server resource use once you start getting into the 1000, 10,000 or even 100,000+ bodies littering the server. Sure they could just throw more hardware at the problem but hardware costs money of which there will be a limited amount of. Being able to stack hundreds of bodies on top of each other to block an entrance is a good idea but will it push the physics system to point of breaking? that depends on how robust the physics system is and the amount of hardware it requires.

2 - How easy would it be to implement said idea and would it be worth the financial cost?

Some ideas that players have, while being great ideas, would require a large amount of programming at the core game engine level to make it viable. Unless that idea is going to radically change the entire game experience it probably isn't worth the amount of work that it requires. Using Voxels and procedural generation is a good example that is hugely complex but radically changes the whole game experience.

3 - Is the idea built upon simple tried and tested systems already in place and/or can other systems be easily built on top of it?

To use the moving bodies idea, that could be part of a move any any object system that is built upon the physics system. Physics system in place give weight to most objects in the game, a pick up and move system built on that allows players to pick up, push or pull an object with varying speed and effectiveness based on it's weight and the player avatars strength. A simple addon to the object movement system would allow players to grab on to the hands or feet of dead characters and drag them to another location, possibly even throw said body in the direction of the cursor. If the game has catapults using actual physics one could also place dead bodies in the catapults to use them as projectiles.

Personally I would like to see a disposable bodies type of system that uses The Hunger. 

• At all times throughout a campaign players can dispose of bodies by setting them on fire, destroying both the body, skeleton and whatever it was carrying. 
  • During the Spring player bodies decay to skeletons after a few hours/days if not burnt, these skeletons inherit have any loot that was still on it's parent corpse, skeletons disappear after a few more hours/days(these times can be tweaked). When a skeleton decays any and all contents it had on it also disappear.
  • During the Summer when the hunger starts to infect the world and for the rest of the campaign player bodies no longer naturally decay but instead turn into Hunger infested Undead after a few hours/days. These Undead models would be generic looking but still correspond to the race of the dead players avatar.
  • These Undead start to wander the landscape as aggressive npc's. Any loot that was left on the player bodies is dropped upon killing these Undead. If the items are still not looted when this happens the items disappear along with the npc corpse just like normal npc item drops would.
  • If the Player bodies are buried before turning, the Undead start to slowly crawl through the ground towards the surface. Upon reaching the surface they act as any other Undead would. The models could even be covered in dirt and mud if they started unlife underground.
  • Players could create tombs and traps containing lots of these dead bodies/Undead by building containment areasThis is dependent on players at the very least being able to drag corpse to another location.
  • As the campaign progresses and The Hunger gets worse through the Summer, Autumn into Winter the player corpse created Undead could become more and more dangerous and powerful.
  • In order to prevent exploits and possibly overloading the server ACE could implement a timer on each players death and the duration of the player corpse Undead. When a player dies a simple background timer unknown to the player is started, this timer is random between 12-48 hours long. Any more deaths from this player during this countdown timer will not result in an Undead rising, the corpse will decay in the same way as it would during the Spring.
  • Again to prevent exploits and server overload, when an Undead is born from a player corpse a random timer between 24-48 hours is started, at the end of that timer if the Undead is still alive it will just die on its own.

A death/resurrection system like this would be relatively easily implemented as it's mostly just a bunch of timers triggered when certain things happen. Undead rising from a player corpse could just spawn a generic npc at the location of the corpse while simultaneously making the player corpse disappear. Because the environments are going to be procedurally generated npc's will not have the traditional spawn points and patrol paths and will most likely use a simple AI system that interacts with the voxels of the environment. The player corpse Undead units could just use the same AI system that all undead in the game will use.

Edited by Slink

As someone who has exactly 0 experience in making a game, I would imagine everyone moving stuff around would be a fairly large task performance wise?

I'm hoping for some very large, very stable battles in this game (it's about time, no?). So I'm worried about anything making that harder.. (like Voxels for example).

What if there is a year+ campaign? bodies errwhere?

What if there is a year+ campaign? bodies errwhere?

Burn the bodies, or like suggested previously, you could have them turn into hunger zombies. Or, load them into catapults and fling them at your enemies (lighting them on fire mid-air is optional)

Also shouldn't this type of thread/discussion be in the Suggestion Box? Any admins around that can move this thread to a more appropriate part of the forums?

Come on now....play nice.

dulpoa76627.png

Surprised I didn't chime on this earlier, I was hoping with less active healing and player looting that players defeat could include a downed system, similar to GW2, but with less resistance, more like crawling away helplessly, calling for help or a few weak skills depending on archetype.

The dying and dead could be dragged away by friend and foe, in order to heal or resurrect, or loot safely. This system of fighting and falling in combat and having to leave battle or be dragged off for a slow difficult healing process rather than the kind of in combat healing we typically see could help set a new method of play and recovery. Fallen comrades could become a burden and rescue may be an option which can recover a significant loss from looting and a deep show of concern or camaraderie between players. Anyway, been meaning to bring that up for a while.

Edited by BahamutKaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Burn the bodies, or like suggested previously, you could have them turn into hunger zombies. Or, load them into catapults and fling them at your enemies (lighting them on fire mid-air is optional)

Yes, because launching BODIES across the battlefield is just a known tactic throughout war. You mind as well call yourselves Japanese, then launch yourselves ALIVE at the damn  enemies. Then at least you'd get those last  words in properly. 

"IN THE NAME OF MY GREAT  GUILD, I LAUNCH MYSELF TO HELL ALONG WITH THEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"catapult3.jpg?itok=i27Yh7S5

Edited by yodamaster1212