Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teddybear

Unofficial Player Review

I write this but tell you this is the thought of a single player reviewing this game, and only that, and given on an unofficial means, and not contracted or working for an entity such as MMObomb or others (in this instance). I write this as I was asked by a member that played in the group I was running n on smite, during the days of heavy tournament play (our group was semi pro, did win some money but never unfortunately, advanced to pro level) and on speaking with crowfall, asked if I would recommend it. I had to be honest and say no I would not.

Much of crowfall as far as playability and stability has improved greatly within this campaign, where at the beginning of 5.8 being horrible during siege times, to now being quite smooth and able to handle more players before hitting heavy lag. In this regard the development team has done rather well in progressing the game. Also being pre-alpha to be fair, there should and will be much more progress made overall.

However given this situation, it has become a game that is becomming far and away from the game they advertised and promised during the days of their kickstarting. The game is excessively grindy as far as the gathering of materials, dust, chaos embers, more materials and dust to trade for other materials for vessels / jewellry / more chaos embers for these, that to get a complete set of epic gear and blue vessel, with epic jewellry took about two weeks. The gear lasts 8 hours. However lower quality gear can be gotten in abundance, such as blue materials (especially on rank 10s) that you can gather two sets of gear worth of mats, and trade for leathers with mats / dust. However with my playstyle I can use both sets of gear completely also in a single day (tested and proven). Not to mention along with the grind for materials, is a grind for experience. To level a legendary vessel took almost 10 hours. To prevent loss of good gear durability I had used no gear though it is only pve, no gear is needed even upon rank 10 creatures. It took 12 hours (would have been faster even with white gear and weaponry) but in that meantime, if I had been using a full set of good blue gear, it would have all decayed from use during the levelling of 1 vessel, to level high enough to use gold to finish its levels.

Just how much of a grind this game has become just to play for half of the time is a significiant turnoff of the game, and bad enough that I may likely if I hear it will continue in this manner, try to find out if i can get my money back and no longer support this game, because this game is no longer what it promised to be, or even going within that direction. The players did not want this, only a very few who specifically hunt and can only hunt naked / levelling people and wanted more time for this.

The developers also had desired pvp to be based largely on two factors, which is gear and player skill. However most combat situations revolves around neither of these for a winning factor. To take from personal experience I will mention the fighting against House Avarri (HoA) guild. In order for me to get a fight I had attacked mandalore and two others, a fight already in their favor in a 1v3. Granted I am a skilled player and I am in full epic gear (geared to my own build, etc et al). One of the rangers had to run away despite the healers' healing (mandalore) and was fighting him and the champion still. The victory was decided by throwing more people against me until I was taken down. Later on I was in a group of five from mixed guilds, just to have a group of five going. In this fight HoA came with 10 people to fight the five of us, and by the time we were wiped they had 15ish. 2 of them had died before the five of us were wiped. I will say we were a very good five people, but HoA won not because of ability or gear, they are known for being a rather bad guild. They won because of sheer number of bodies thrown at us. This is what we have in most 'pvp' situations on this game today. 

For the majority of the rest of pvp that happens in this game it is a person or a group of people that try to kill harvesters / levellers. This lately is done in groups since combat disciplines have become available to harvesters, even though they are wearing harvesting gear instead of combat to be far easier to kill than normal still. 

That being said competative pvp is a thing that exists only in a very small portion of actual pvp in this game. The developers are not addressing this issue, nor are they of balance of players on a campaign. This second portion considering they allow multiple accounts being active at the same time by a single person, and on multiple factions they have honestly screwed themselves out of being able to balance the factions in any real manner. There is far too many people playing 'safe' by attempting to have fights that no matter what they cannot lose or die, and this is what the developers are supporting. 

I cannot see myself supporting this game in this fashion, deviating so far from their original goal of a game. They have promised and not delivered. I will likely finish 5.8 and not playtest for a while again as I had before though still watch, but continuing this trend I would petition for my money back and account cancelled due to these reasons. I also cannot recommend other people to this game that prefer competative gaming / hardcore gaming. 

I will recommend if you wish to keep anyone that is a competative gamer at all while you make these changes, is to create tournaments for 1v1, 3v3, and 5v5 that happen each week, with grand tournaments once per month, as well as free for all tournaments etc which is every man inside for themselves, things of this nature. That being said if that is 'all' you have for competative pvp I would likely only grind and play for that time period and never play this game otherwise, if I played at all. 

As this is still pre-alpha I am hoping the developers get back on track with what they had intended for the game, as what they had promised was, I will say promising and enticing. I will also not write something as this as an official review because it is this early in development, so will only have this review here.

2 hours ago, Teddybear said:

To take from personal experience I will mention the fighting against House Avarri (HoA) guild. In order for me to get a fight I had attacked mandalore and two others, a fight already in their favor in a 1v3. Granted I am a skilled player and I am in full epic gear (geared to my own build, etc et al). One of the rangers had to run away despite the healers' healing (mandalore) and was fighting him and the champion still. The victory was decided by throwing more people against me until I was taken down. Later on I was in a group of five from mixed guilds, just to have a group of five going. In this fight HoA came with 10 people to fight the five of us, and by the time we were wiped they had 15ish. 2 of them had died before the five of us were wiped. I will say we were a very good five people, but HoA won not because of ability or gear, they are known for being a rather bad guild. They won because of sheer number of bodies thrown at us. This is what we have in most 'pvp' situations on this game today. 

7hfhKUV.jpg

v3IJi0H.jpg

You tried to kill some scrub champion outside of one of the keeps and I came to the rescue.  I wasn’t there at the start, I was digging graves and ran into to keep him alive.  The ranger in question was deathadders and he was in advanced gear.  You died in under 30 seconds though when an actual geared dps happened by (parfax).  All of that was by circumstance because you tried ganking some noob champ within spitting distance of the former chaos keep.  It was rather fun to deny you a kill on two under geared people but you’re attempt at spinning this is worse than your inability to kill a half elf ranger with 4.6k hit points. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

@Balathanthe numbers you posted show how it has been on our side when we constantly face outnumbered situations, from people like you that play things extremely safe, then try to show that above number as if you were more than a body :P

@mandalore yes I saw you there. I had also seen the ranger. I knew there was three of you. Parfax is not an actual dps person his damage is low for an archer, but he was one more on the pile. The ranger also ran away from your healing because you were not healing him enough. The champion was a newbie though but actually, much more effective than parfax considering it was his stun that stopped my healing. You did not deny me, the rangers' teleport got him away. You were actually kinda worthless in the fight were you to be honest about it. Also I did not attack the champion, I was attacking you after the ranger, hence why you had also ran after I had stunned you during your healing until you were able to use both heal circles again. And for last that fight lasted... roughly 3 minutes? But yes the fourth person with all of you did take me down. I admitted this. But I am not here to coddle you. I am not here to give you attention. This is the exact view that HoA has for themselves, and that is all. This was one situation that happened, and that is another. This is the situation that we face on the server. It is not an argument, I am not calling you out. You are an example and well known for people to understand, and that is all. Have a good day.

6 minutes ago, Teddybear said:

@Balathanthe numbers you posted show how it has been on our side when we constantly face outnumbered situations, from people like you that play things extremely safe, then try to show that above number as if you were more than a body :P

Lol Bal is 17:1 on his kills per death ratio and has the most amount of kills of any player on any faction on either server.  UxA is 1:4.  You want personal skill to matter and then trash the guy who has as many kills as the top two guilds on Chaos.  

I’m a healer for now.  I’ll drop healing in a heartbeat when they add doomsayer but until then Soul is stuck with me being a bad healer.  

Tldr:

thanduril-fangirls.gif

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

This thread was only a review, so I was going to leave as is. Whatever you post realy does not matter, but due to situations I must respond.

1. I am not Sugoi. Stop complaining to sugoi members about me, they are a completely different guild.

2. It is also very easy to have a very high kill / death ratio while consistantly outnumbering people. That is why it is done. You are not making a seperate point.

3. I will not be responding to this again, only ask you that if you want to complain to a guild, do it to the guild I am in, not to another guild. Come on guys. This is a review and nothing more. If you do not want your guild used as an example for the things you do, do not do these things. You were one of two guilds that run as this, that are big enough to do this. It is nothing special. It is nothing horrific. If it is embarrassing, dont do it. 

4. This was only a review, based on game and current environment. Nothing more. Goodbye

Posted (edited)

i was not going to respond to this post, but I thought since you did not reply about the 2 videos completely making your argument laughable I would.  I do not talk trash nor lie on the forums so this is a place you will not find me often. The 2 videos posted in this thread show HoA outnumbered and we win with little to no deaths. Your lies and attempts at slander do not help the game and it only looks bad on you. I understand that you will not post on this anymore, but that you will read this comment. Just next time you try and post a thread about a review of the game take a moment to calm down and try to make thoughtful arguments that are not just about being upset you died.

Edited by Parfax

11 hours ago, mandalore said:

You tried to kill some scrub champion outside of one of the keeps and I came to the rescue.  I wasn’t there at the start, I was digging graves and ran into to keep him alive.  The ranger in question was deathadders and he was in advanced gear.  You died in under 30 seconds though when an actual geared dps happened by (parfax).  All of that was by circumstance because you tried ganking some noob champ within spitting distance of the former chaos keep.  It was rather fun to deny you a kill on two under geared people but you’re attempt at spinning this is worse than your inability to kill a half elf ranger with 4.6k hit points. 

As that scrub ... white vessel and white gear normally can't put up much of a defense on my own due to being average at best and in crap gear. 

ps. Thanks for the heals Mandalore and the support from parfax. 

48 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

As that scrub ... white vessel and white gear normally can't put up much of a defense on my own due to being average at best and in crap gear. 

ps. Thanks for the heals Mandalore and the support from parfax. 

You're welcome. 

wiDfyPp.png

16 hours ago, Teddybear said:

The gear lasts 8 hours. 

Stop respawing at the runegate or temple, do the corpse run. Choosing not to do the corpse run trashes your gear. Don't loiter in combat stance, that's where random durability loss comes from.

After the last wipe back in... Early January(?) I was one of the 1st players the guild put into greens. I'm still wearing it. I have more than 50% durability on all my gear.

I'm a skinner. I spend a large part of my game time in combat stance fighting. I get ganked frequently. My gear is not falling apart because I take care of it.

This forum (The Great Hall) is for discussions about our rules and policies, not a place for game reviews and feedback about the game. Ordinarily, I would move it to the proper forum section but since it's made it's way to the intersection of Troll Avenue and Smacktalk Boulevard, I'm just gonna shut it down. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community