Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimarr

Skinning and Scarcity

Posted (edited)

Last campaign, players complained about high level Iron scarcity and that seems to have been addressed this campaign.  I would like to bring attention to Skinning Mob scarcity, especially Aurochs.

Auroch skinning gives Soft leather.  Soft leather is used in all leather crafting sets and in -crit hit chance combat armor.  Both are high demand builds.

Aurochs do not spawn in any named parcel like cats and spiders.  Cats and Spiders are in abundance because they spawn in high level forests, chasms, etc..  Auroch, Wolves and Elk only spawn in random parcels out in the wild.  These are generally lower levels than the named parcels.

Last campaign had a spot with 3 R7 Auroch which was good, but again it was only one spot of three Aurochs in the whole map that reached that level.  This campaign has a single R10, 2 R7s, and some R5s.  This makes skinning a very needed resource tedious.

Please increase the availability of high level Aurochs, wolves and elk.  Another possible assistance is change the leatherworking recipes for crafting sets to use Flexible(cats) or Durable(spiders).

Thank You!

PS.  Also this campaign seems to have pushed Pigs, that used to have some spawns in fort parcels, out of those fort parcels.  Which also lowered the availablity of higher level Pig skinning.

Edited by Grimarr

12 minutes ago, Grimarr said:

This campaign has a single R10

When Phylor told me he found an R10 auroch spawn I got... excited. When he sent the screenshot of one lonely auroch I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

I've railed on this subject quite a few times. In isolation, the skinning game loop is fine, it works. Compared to other harvest professions, quality hide is a scarce commodity. Cats & spiders we can always find, we may have to fight for the location, but we know it's there. Elk, auroch, wolves & pigs are another matter. Adding one or two mob spawners to each of the fort & keep plots would be a huge step forward. Having guards & mobs ignore each other, or be spaced within the plot, would also help alot.

Bump, this is indeed a problem!

@jtoddcoleman Any chance leatherworking / skinning is getting looked at soon? Having harder-to-acquire materials AND the crafting requiring MORE materials is quite out of whack.

I agree it can be very frustrating at times. Especially with the lower amount of loot you get at night times too. 
Getting Flexible and Durable hide is kinda okay-ish while getting soft-leather often is a pain and already demotivating to even start with 1-2 high lvl auroch spawns on the whole map beeing around.
I'd highly appreciate looking into the skinning/leatherworking stuff.

I made a pretty big post about this on feedback but yeah.

Only leather has built in shortages based on time of day.

Only leather requires someone to beat up their gear on combat to access the node.

Leather is the only equip option for a huge number of specs.

Leather is already losing the mitigation war in an extremely mitigation dependant game while being more costly to produce and harder to reliably acquire desired types.

You're increasing the required leather output by removing wood from weapon grips. This is backward. Wood is already fine due to limited uses combined with plentiful chances to acquire it. Leather should be the thing removed from weapon grips if you must remove something, not wood.

The only thing leather has going for it is that the nodes drop other loot, and this would be fine as an offset for the durability loss on gear to kill mobs if the mob availability was anywhere near the quality and type distribution of metal, and nodes didn't functionally de-rank themselves based on the position of the sun in the sky.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Sign in to follow this