Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rayzer

Can someone please explain Shadowbane to me?

The description of the gameplay from Wikipedia does a pretty good job here:

Shadowbane was notable for emphasizing player-versus-player combat, implementing non-conventional races and specializing in siege warfare (players building cities and trying to raze enemy players' cities) whereas a significant number of MMORPGs released since Ultima Online usually restrict player killing to certain areas of the game or special dedicated PvP servers.[citation needed] The game also featured a seamless world map, and made no use of instancing.

Players were also allowed to own cities and capitals and most of the property and cities in Shadowbane were player owned. In effect, Shadowbane's war status was decided by the players rather than the game company. Whether a guild city went to war with another guild city was entirely up to the leaders. A government system was also implemented in the game. It ensured players were in total control of the Shadowbane world.[citation needed]

Though there were no quests in the game, Shadowbane featured PVP, Nation, and Siege Warfare systems, which offered players a wide range of in-game opportunities.

It was all about PVP, politics and having enough grit to withstand a pummeling, now and then, and come back swinging, rather than the entire server submitting under one guild.  

Definitely before its time, which is why Crowfall, now, is really exciting.

I haven't played enough mmo's to define it in certain mmo labels.

But to sum it up, you leveled up fighting mobs until you were 60+. Then you could go out and kill lower level players, kill leveling groups in mob zones, kill players that were killing, or go to different cities and kill players. The biggest part of shadowbane was the siegeing. You placed a bane circle (basically your intent on destroying that city) and showed up to try and take their city. Early in the game, there was often hundreds of players on each side.

the long version?

12 different races (http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Main_Page) with 4 base classes: fighter, healer, rogue, and mage from which you could have various (some restricted, couldn't be a minotaur mage for instance) race/class combinations to choose from 22 professions. In addition to various starting runes, you could also choose from almost 50 discipline runes (also restricted by race or class or both) to make your character unique.

From there, there was cloth, light armor, medium armor, and heavy armor (also restricted. heavy armor mage would just be silly) that could be chosen from. armor usually went for defense, physical attack resists, or spell enhancements. you could also choose from staff, unarmed, dagger, sword, hammer, bow, xbow, axe, etc with 1 hand and 2hand versions as well as shields. They came in all different types based on race, profession, or gear that could be worn by anyone that was also based on the number of trains in them (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, 110%) etc. Trains were done into focus lines (axe, hammer, light armor, wizardy, etc) and spells (if not granted at max, you could train them up to 40) with a limited amount of training points.

you also had the typical mmo stats of strength, dexterity, constitution, spirit and intelligence that you could put points in and later add additional stat runes to increase those stats. With everyone having the same amount of stat points.

You leveled on a noob land (safehold, no pvp) until 10 then you promote. Then you either stay or go onto mob zones (open pvp) that were sorted by level. You could craft your own gear by resources found in these zones or by capturing mines (resource producing structures that can be fought for once a day). You use gold to build cities, train, or buy stuff on the open economy.

There could only be a certain number of cities. Cities could be bound in a nation (limiting 7 sub guilds) to allow you to teleport to different cities in your nation. Could also port to open trees (trees that were open to everyone).

Cities were sieged by trebuchet or player weapons and the fight was to take the city and the other side's job was to fight to keep their city.

Not sure how to explain it further. YouTube videos on shadowbane. Look for the <4 minute ones that get to the point.

I never played it, but i looked at this old e3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKhD1YP9TL8

From that trailer it sounds completely awesome and revolutionary. However, it must had some flaws since it closed down.

Apparently there is an emulator where you can experience the game for yourself. Like i said i never played it so I have no idea what its like. Hopefully somebody can clue me in since it seems to have made quite a community

You can read up the history of Shadowbane on its wikpedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowbane

After that you can actually experience it since their is two free emulators in beta atm:

1. SBEmu: http://shadowbaneemulator.com/

2. Magicbane: http://www.magicbane.com/

Imo Magicbane is more faithful to the original Shadowbane game atm

Now with that said here is a quick and dirty explanation:

Shadowbane was a completely player driven, open world MMO. Max lvl cap was 75,  a newbie island to level 20 where you couldn't be pk'ed, a few "safehold" npc cities and everywhere else open pvp. There was no "reputation" system, no "jails" the only consequences to killing another player was that player and/or his friends killing you over and over and/or that other players Guild/Nation destroying your Guilds player built town. When you killed another player you could loot his corpse for everything in his inventory but not his equiped gear. The game was heavily built around Nation/Guild politics up to and including backstabbing allies and own guildies. It was not unheard of for members of Guilds Inner Council to rip off the Guild funds, delete buildings/Npc's bannish everyone but the guild leader from the town and just before leaving for a new guild. So the game was very intense with dire consequences even for the smallest infractions. Banes (name for trying to destroy/capture other player towns) could and di last up to 6, 7 , 8 and even longer hours.

I never played it, but i looked at this old e3 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKhD1YP9TL8

From that trailer it sounds completely awesome and revolutionary. However, it must had some flaws since it closed down.

Apparently there is an emulator where you can experience the game for yourself. Like i said i never played it so I have no idea what its like. Hopefully somebody can clue me in since it seems to have made quite a community

The biggest flaws were that the hardware and software of the time wasn't up to the vision of the game. Shadowbane lost most of its player base in the first year due to lag, crashes, line of sight bugs and other such glitches.

I never played or heard of Shadowbane until Crowfall, but based on the discussions, a lot of players seem to be expecting Crowfall to essentially be Shadowbane 2.0. I feel like it shouldn't be if the developers want to go with the never done before type of thing. Curious to see what Crowfall becomes.

Biggest SB flaws imo:

The hardware/software thing gauis just mentioned AND many players that didn't quite know what to expect from SB becoming disillusioned after losing their first city/war/whatever and quitting.

Keep in mind this game was pre-WoW.  Players were still delving into new MMOs without knowing exactly what to expect from them.  I'm sure many PvE oriented or solo-oriented players wound up quitting as a result.

BUT, this game is being very honest and forthright that they want to cater to a specific niche.  I'm just hoping we as a community, can expand and maintain a playerbase to keep the game in a thriving state for many-a-battle to come. :)

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Shadowbane is like a big sand box. You can build your little sand castle. If someone has the inclination, or wants your spot, they can come try and step on your sand castle. Soon, people start forming sand-alliances, and before you know it, one side of the sandbox is much larger than the others and controls all the plastic shovels, molds, and other junk. That is boring so they go inactive. The other people who arent in the alliance dont have enough to fight back, so they get bored and go inactive too.

Saying Crowfall is going to make a game no one's made before is like saying Gordon Ramsey is going to prepare food no one's ever eaten before. There's no individiual concept of a MMO that hasn't been done before. They're saying they're going to make a game that is more true to their roots (UO, Shadowbane, etc) but different from anything you'll find on the market.

The best way I like to describe Shadowbane to people who haven't heard of it is to say it's the closest thing to "Game of Thrones: The MMO" as the genre has ever seen. I mean, you know, minus the incest. 

While there was certainly a game there in the traditional character-with-stats-that-advances-over-time and killing-things-to-get-loot kind of way, the meat of the game was the politics of Group A clashing with Group B for whatever reasons they may have had ("they killed my leveling group", "they allied with Group C who is our enemy", "they talked poorly made socks on the forums", "they were there as we were running through the area so why not kill them?", etc.), and ultimately going to war over it. Then say Group A loses the war, and thus lose their place in the world, and their potential influence over other groups in the world by being seen as weak. Or maybe Group A surprises Group B at ground zero by arranging aid from Groups D, E, and F, and Group B has no chance at winning said war due to alliances forged. Well then D, E, and F just made enemies with B... and the cycle continues.

If you didn't experience incest in Shadowbane you weren't doing it right.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Saying Crowfall is going to make a game no one's made before is like saying Gordon Ramsey is going to prepare food no one's ever eaten before. There's no individiual concept of a MMO that hasn't been done before. They're saying they're going to make a game that is more true to their roots (UO, Shadowbane, etc) but different from anything you'll find on the market.

This.  The components are not going to be unique.  But the combination of those components could be.

i could have sworn i'd replied to this one already but whatever....

the flaws were there, and all who lived in SB knew them well

that being said, those that don't might not grok that there were....

NO quests

NO "epic purplez"

NO place to hide

NO zones

NO instances

NO raids

and NO excuses

and we loved the Game for it...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Shadowbane, evertime u play u get a diiferent experience, it's a sandbox game where players find their fun. U can go hunt players, or hunt npc to get unique drop so u can take a another skill ? U can scout, spy.... On your enemies etc... U can design build your own keeps... Or u can make and tryout different builds, duel.....mine.....farm... Even lead a group or whole alliance.....

In short its game where u go find your fun, not told or hand hold to what fun is.....

i wouldn't say avoid the emus. if you've got the down time, give magicbane a try. not saying it to get you to play. but if you're truly curious, we at least have emulators that still exist.