Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rayzer

Can someone please explain Shadowbane to me?

The description of the gameplay from Wikipedia does a pretty good job here:

Shadowbane was notable for emphasizing player-versus-player combat, implementing non-conventional races and specializing in siege warfare (players building cities and trying to raze enemy players' cities) whereas a significant number of MMORPGs released since Ultima Online usually restrict player killing to certain areas of the game or special dedicated PvP servers.[citation needed] The game also featured a seamless world map, and made no use of instancing.

Players were also allowed to own cities and capitals and most of the property and cities in Shadowbane were player owned. In effect, Shadowbane's war status was decided by the players rather than the game company. Whether a guild city went to war with another guild city was entirely up to the leaders. A government system was also implemented in the game. It ensured players were in total control of the Shadowbane world.[citation needed]

Though there were no quests in the game, Shadowbane featured PVP, Nation, and Siege Warfare systems, which offered players a wide range of in-game opportunities.

Sums up SB pretty well on a superficial level.  What made Shadowbane was the community.  Grudges, alliances, betreyals, server unity vs. CN (<3 Vindication), the depth of min /max and character building.  The depth of spec groups and succesful PvP strategies for 10 people, or 20 people, or 40 people.  It was Forumbane and Theorybane as much as it was Shadowbane.

You could revolutionize the game with creative builds and race/class/discipline combinations.  

It suffered too much in the first year at launch.  An absolutely brutal in game experience (My guild burned down the first city before the defenders had progressed enough to build siege equipment to be able to defend themselves, and their subguild betrayed them and helped) that alienated players and too many technical issues that alienated more.  Once windows of opportunity were in place and cities didn't require 24/7 protection from being destroyed it stayed alive.  When mines and meaningful PvP for crafting resources hit the game it really took off.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

i wouldn't say avoid the emus. if you've got the down time, give magicbane a try. not saying it to get you to play. but if you're truly curious, we at least have emulators that still exist.

i'd say avoid them...

fishbane and welll...let's just say i have an olde HIstory with some of the folks over at MB, and i wouldn't trust my IP adress to them

neither is really SB....but yes, both have a tiny bit of the "flavor"

your mileage may vary

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Okay,so,Hi everyone.

I'm just new to all this,i mean,i never played Shadowbane but i've heard about it.

Could someone talk me a little about it and about what i should expect from this game ?

Will it be something like,dunno,Darkfall or Mortal Online,or something like...WoW or,uhm,Guild Wars 2,Rift or other things like that.

Thanks in advance people,and sorry if i'm not that correct in english,i'm not mother tongue.

i'd say avoid them...

fishbane and welll...let's just say i have an olde HIstory with some of the folks over at MB, and i wouldn't trust my IP adress to them

neither is really SB....but yes, both have a tiny bit of the "flavor"

your mileage may vary

Excelsior!

It lets them see the depth of character creation and customization system which as far as I know no one else has come close to yet. It will also let them see what it is like to be in an open pvp enviroment once they get off noob. Nothing like venturing out on your first toon not having a clue what track is and shortly there after getting ganked by someone from invisibility and having them take that hard earned gold you need to train. Of course it will be nothing like the first year of SB where you couldn't go 10 mins without getting ganked during prime (or even long stretches of off prime) but point will made. Also they might get taken in by Dragonscale and experience a Bane or two. Hell they might even find they like Shadowbane style of play :)

It lets them see the depth of character creation and customization system which as far as I know no one else has come close to yet. It will also let them see what it is like to be in an open pvp enviroment once they get off noob. Nothing like venturing out on your first toon not having a clue what track is and shortly there after getting ganked by someone from invisibility and having them take that hard earned gold you need to train. Of course it will be nothing like the first year of SB where you couldn't go 10 mins without getting ganked during prime (or even long stretches of off prime) but point will made. Also they might get taken in by Dragonscale and experience a Bane or two. Hell they might even find they like Shadowbane style of play :)

i get yer point here...

but i still stick to mine....yeah, it can give an Impression...but imo it's the WRONG impression

no worries, my difficulties with them are not the kinds of things a newb to SB would ever know about....and Vets would just take sides anyway

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

I think with the current magicbane population, they'd be relatively safe in their exploring. Just don't go south of Khar.

remember they ain't going to know about mine times, rune drop times, which runes are considered valuable and people always go for... so expect them to wander into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Alright fancy lad...tha land o' Aerynth went somethin like 'is:

"Ey land lubber, pay tha toll fer safe passage or off tha plank with ya."

"Put on yer finest pink dress and dance fer tha cap'n"

You: ???

"Last chance boyo or yer off ta visit ol davey jones in tha briney depths"

You: "STFU FGT RPer"

*TSP proceeds to roll your group and continues to roll all farm groups + your city hourly for weeks until a bane is dropped and the city is taken. Setting sail on tears ensues.*

Prepare ta be boarded!

Shadowbane: The same jackasses for over a decade spending 75% of their time talking about fighting, 25% of their time fighting, in a reasonably complex but insanely unintuitive RPG that they mastered and settled in, all while refusing to bury old grudges. And Asians.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4

I think that the primary flaw of Shadowbane was that the ruleset was probably too ambitious for the game engine used, at least when it was first released. When server population was much healthier, sieges involving up to two hundred characters were more common. Having this many characters in the same space casting spells, attacking, and healing one another with NPC guards delving into the mix and siege engines delivering damage to walls and buildings was too much for many systems at the time, and many players were easily frustrated by the number of SB.exe errors and lock-ups early on.

What made the game unviable in the greater MMORPG market was probably its unforgiving consequences. More than half of the original gaming population was simply griefed off of the game between mid-2003 and late 2004. What made the game so widely anticipated, at least for me, was the prospect of seeing so many different Asheron's Call Darktide guilds and UO PvP guilds (some from Siege Perilous) go at one another in unforgiving warfare. I remember being rather shocked hearing that "Keepers of Chaos" (who dominated the AC Darktide server as the infamous "Blood" monarchy) got griefed off of their server rather early. It was also quite amazing to witness Covenant of Swords' level of hegemony at the beginning of the Treachery server. The problem, however, was that many of the guilds who lost their capital city early on quit en masse and never came back. On the flip side, many of the players involved with the dominant beta guilds became bored rather quickly and were thus more likely to leave SB for a new game when one arrived. By around the end of 2004, a new core community of specifically die-hard SB players had developed, and these guys kept the community alive. While many of these players would participate in dominant guilds themselves, they were well acquainted with the siege/gaming mechanics as well as the attendant risks and happily accepted them. Unlike many of the original server 2003 players, these players could lose their pixels without giving up and quitting the game.

As for the comments about Magicbane, there is simply no evidence that the developers engage in any funny business whatsoever. On the contrary, their conduct thus far has been truly exemplary. Your hysteria about their motivations is unwarranted, highly prejudicial, and only serves to damage a potentially great emulator community. While Magicbane runs flawlessly, the SB EMU project performs awfully and doesn't even resemble the actual game any longer. If players want a Shadowbane experience, they need to play Magicbane and they also need to close their ears off to those paranoid dwarves who continue to slander the Magicbane developers as supposedly 'untrustworthy' when they have never done anything to warrant such accusations. This type of hysteria is based on nothing more than biased and prejudicial feedback from members of the SB EMU team who have every reason to defame a project that performs in a superior fashion and which only causes people to wonder "what did the SB EMU 'team' do exactly to turn their own emulator into a botched abortion?" I would personally recommend that all interested parties give Magicbane a try before they buy into paranoid delusions based upon nothing more than the prejudicial commentary of SB EMU players who are arguably advancing an invidious agenda themselves.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

Shadowbane: The same jackasses for over a decade spending 75% of their time talking about fighting, 25% of their time fighting, in a reasonably complex but insanely unintuitive RPG that they mastered and settled in, all while refusing to bury old grudges. And Asians.

And trolling, lots and lots of trolling.

Hey lover <3

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

for good olde man against...

you may be correct, but some of them truly hate yer olde Doc

not worth the risk vs reward, imo

as usual yer mileage may vary....

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png