Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rayzer

Can someone please explain Shadowbane to me?

Shadowbane was an addiction.

Hours and hours of tweaking builds and theorycrafting not just single toons, but spec groups for small group PvP, banes, etc.

Farming parties just camping spawns and shooting the shoot for 24 hours straight.

The politics, the diplomacy, the alliances, the backstabbing, the enemies and rivals.

Tearing down your enemy's city.

Defending your walls and fighting back against a huge zerg to protect everything you and your friends spent weeks or months building together.

And for some of us, a great story and opportunity to roleplay, to step into Aerynth and try to live according to the vision of the game's lore.

The Sundered Guard-"Nature's Sword, the People's Shield"-Ranger's Brotherhood of Shadowbane, Mourning Server

Listen to CrowCast-A Crowfall Podcast
Crowfall1_zps3d24a64d.jpg

If you're going to try Shadowbane i'd suggest www.shadowbaneemulator.com. You'd be able to find more English speakers their at the moment to help you get levels and show you the ropes. There is a newb friendly guild there called Forever United that has a bunch of new players. It used to run poorly made socksty but its running a lot better now.  

Magicbane.com is good also. If you play that you'll probably be able to level there without any issues, but that's about all you'll experience as the server there is over run by mostly Chinese Guilds and most North American/ English Speaking Guilds don't do mines or banes anymore. It's not going to be very long before this happens to shadowbaneemulator as well, because the Chinese Guilds are starting to migrate due to banes being playable again and Magicbane being already conquered. 

If you want to experience Mine fighting and Banes you have a better chance of doing that playing at www.shadowbaneemulator.com. 

shadowbane's a low resource game. People dual box without a problem unless you're playing on your casio watch.

And I guarantee sbemu has more asians than MB right now.

Yeah, every text I read here really wants me to play Shadowbane, too bad my computer won't hold enough space for an emulator xd

When we say emulator, we are not talking about a program that emulates a different operating system/console then have to cram the game on top of that. When we say emulator we mean that these are people writing from scratch a program that emulates as closely as they can the server side of the old Shadowbane game. For you the player all you have to do to play is download the old game client (Like you would if you bought GW2 or SWTOR online), register on that emulators forums, verify your account, change the Arcane IP file so it finds the emulator server not the defunct Ubisoft servers and then run the SB.exe file (not the SB launcher file).

shadowbane's a low resource game. People dual box without a problem unless you're playing on your casio watch.

Not that I've experienced. 

The so-called "Shadowbane Emulator" does not produce an experience that even closely approximates the true Shadowbane experience. I thought that their proposed "Reforged in Flames" rule changes were truly intended as a gag, but I was wrong. It's not a Shadowbane emulator, but a lag-infested barely playable sandbox for Starfish & co.

China's activity on the Magicbane server is actually waning, and contrary to your claims NA guilds have been taking most of the mines lately. The Chinese zerg seized a bunch of NA cities, unified their multi-realm zerg empire, and started to roll characters on SBEMU a/k/a GoofyBane. Now is actually the perfect time for interested NA and EU players to register on Magicbane to prepare themselves for the upcoming non-Chinese Lore server. Unlike SB EMU, the MB developers intend to release a Lore server which Chinese players will not be able to access or at least play on in any meaningful way.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

When we say emulator, we are not talking about a program that emulates a different operating system/console then have to cram the game on top of that. When we say emulator we mean that these are people writing from scratch a program that emulates as closely as they can the server side of the old Shadowbane game. For you the player all you have to do to play is download the old game client (Like you would if you bought GW2 or SWTOR online), register on that emulators forums, verify your account, change the Arcane IP file so it finds the emulator server not the defunct Ubisoft servers and then run the SB.exe file (not the SB launcher file).

I must not be as good with games as I thought. Lol. Yes, but considering my computer also has game problems with crashing and loads of data on my computer usually crashes the computer often, I wouldn't get far in the game. Perhaps I will just watch someone play the game, as in a walkthrough, just to get a small glimpse of what Shadowbane was like. Thanks for clearing what you meant by emulator, I really need to improve my vocab.

The so-called "Shadowbane Emulator" does not produce an experience that even closely approximates the true Shadowbane experience. I thought that their proposed "Reforged in Flames" rule changes were truly intended as a gag, but I was wrong. It's not a Shadowbane emulator, but a lag-infested barely playable sandbox for Starfish & co.

China's activity on the Magicbane server is actually waning, and contrary to your claims NA guilds have been taking most of the mines lately. The Chinese zerg seized a bunch of NA cities, unified their multi-realm zerg empire, and started to roll characters on SBEMU a/k/a GoofyBane. Now is actually the perfect time for interested NA and EU players to register on Magicbane to prepare themselves for the upcoming non-Chinese Lore server. Unlike SB EMU, the MB developers intend to release a Lore server which Chinese players will not be able to access or at least play on in any meaningful way.

I really don't know who you are, but since I've played both recently, as some have suggested, I found the Shadowbaneemulator playable. Do you just stick to Magicbane and not try the other? I don't understand really what you are talking about. 

I really don't know who you are. But Since I've played both recently as some have suggested, I found the Shadowbaneemulator playable. Do you just stick to Magicbane and not try the other. I don't understand really what you are talking about. 

Are you kidding? Feel free to look up "ManAgainstTime" on the SBEMU forums. I beta tested SBEMU since the Vorringia mapset Team 1/Team 2 phase years back. I lost count of how many SBEMU beta invite contests I won (so many, in fact, that I had to start gifting invites to players outside of my guild after such events). If you're a part of the SBEMU community and do not know who I am, you're in the minority. I'm also guessing that you never played on any of the Treachery, Vengeance, Entropy, or Mourning servers on UbiSoft Shadowbane. I was permanently "Suspended" on SBEMU for openly opposing Starfish's idiocy and "promise breaking" (actually, we don't know the cited reason for my ultimate Suspension as one was never provided).

There are plenty of veteran SBEMU players/community members who prefer Magicbane. Entire guilds, even. I'm not the only one nor even the foremost example of this trend. There are also other former SBEMU Project Team members who ultimately became disillusioned with the Starfish/Crazy Talk junta.

If you enjoy the Shadowbane Emulator, then I'm happy for you, but it sounds like your comment more appropriately applies to yourself as the information you provided about Magicbane is so false or at least out of date that it gives the impression that you never actually played it. For what it's worth, Magicbane can actually handle sieges which involve large (usually Chinese) zergs in a stable fashion without any attendant massive server lag. SBEMU cannot.

4H4LmCE.gif

Scourge of the Shadowbane community, Public Enemy No. 1 to the SBEMU Forum Moderators, and member of the "Suppressed Person" faction on the Ubiforums. The man responsible for hooking up Ceska and CheckYoTrack. Also a 21-time World Heavyweight Champion of Shadowbane.

most people on MB started on sbemu. Have YOU tried one emu and not the other? Been playing MB all week. Asians are on hiatus unless you're playing during their primetime. Usually when i sleep.

anyhow, let's not do a pissing contest about the emus. Dalgoth is too huge a map and different from the actual original game if people are looking to learn. Let's be honest. If we can't, then let's just call a truce.

From the comments here it sounds like Shadowbane was all PVP all the time which to me sounds like it would get old and boring in a hurry. Yep a game need more story depth.

I routinely ran 4-5 instances of the game on one machine to powerlevel my own characters, the game ran pretty light all things considered.

From the comments here it sounds like Shadowbane was all PVP all the time which to me sounds like it would get old and boring in a hurry. Yep a game need more story depth.

the majority of the gameplay was farming / leveling up alts in order to have a well rounded stable of builds. the game was heavily rock/paper/scissors but there were no such thing as OP builds because there was always a hard counter someone could make. the build customization in this game was probably the best i have seen in any game i have ever played and i have played pretty much everything.

politics played a huge role since the only NPC cities were the starter areas that NOBODY went to. it's one of those things you'd of had to experience for yourself, someone telling you about it will never do it justice. sorry you missed out.

Somebody have this man silenced.  PvP is all that is needed, I kill monsters on the weekends when I play D&D, I kill people in MMO's.

Next time you do this, we have you "cut".

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

I must not be as good with games as I thought. Lol. Yes, but considering my computer also has game problems with crashing and loads of data on my computer usually crashes the computer often, I wouldn't get far in the game. Perhaps I will just watch someone play the game, as in a walkthrough, just to get a small glimpse of what Shadowbane was like. Thanks for clearing what you meant by emulator, I really need to improve my vocab.

The shadowbane game client with both expansions dates back to 2005 and I was able to multibox the game on a 2001 Compaq back in the day, if you have anything more modern than a 7 year old computer you will have no problems single boxing on the emulators.

Are you kidding? Feel free to look up "ManAgainstTime" on the SBEMU forums. I beta tested SBEMU since the Vorringia mapset Team 1/Team 2 phase years back. I lost count of how many SBEMU beta invite contests I won (so many, in fact, that I had to start gifting invites to players outside of my guild after such events). If you're a part of the SBEMU community and do not know who I am, you're in the minority. I'm also guessing that you never played on any of the Treachery, Vengeance, Entropy, or Mourning servers on UbiSoft Shadowbane. I was permanently "Suspended" on SBEMU for openly opposing Starfish's idiocy and "promise breaking" (actually, we don't know the cited reason for my ultimate Suspension as one was never provided).

There are plenty of veteran SBEMU players/community members who prefer Magicbane. Entire guilds, even. I'm not the only one nor even the foremost example of this trend. There are also other former SBEMU Project Team members who ultimately became disillusioned with the Starfish/Crazy Talk junta.

If you enjoy the Shadowbane Emulator, then I'm happy for you, but it sounds like your comment more appropriately applies to yourself as the information you provided about Magicbane is so false or at least out of date that it gives the impression that you never actually played it. For what it's worth, Magicbane can actually handle sieges which involve large (usually Chinese) zergs in a stable fashion without any attendant massive server lag. SBEMU cannot.

Sorry I stopped reading at "Are you kidding? Feel free to look up "ManAgainstTime" on the SBEMU forums." You act like I care that you are some hot shot guy playing an old "emulated game". I have given my experience and that's what my opinion is. You have obviously been dramatically hurt by someone and have a biased that you can't overcome.